Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthme View Post
I was just thinking about that incident the other day, I have been thinking about writing a book about Ernest, Justin Fields, Roger Lyons, Frank Jude, Jr. and many, many others.

Btw, Chief Brier was a jerk of all jerks BUT ain't nothing changed as far as police getting away with killing people.

I imagine 'Wiggles 123' thinks that the cops that damn near beat Frank Jude to death are just "good guys" too.
Yes, he was a collosal jerk. Racist to the core. He was not the answer to problems that plague Milwaukee with his rigid, over-the-top, one-dimensional approach.

Had to look up Frank Jude. Didn't know about that one...and so recent too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Jude,_Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM

180 posts, read 662,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Equally depressing though is the continuing presence of some of the most backwards non-black hicks in the midwest. Rigid, narrow-minded, blue-collar, obese, ignorant, and far from intelligent. The city has problems with both types and unfortunately many from this latter group go on to be cops.
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose noticed this. Sadly, this description is what many people think of as the "typical" Milwaukeean even though most who fit it live in suburbs and the few who live in the city tend to keep to themselves on the far southside.

As far as Brier... the guy was a bigot, all-around scumf**k and probably the biggest disgrace to every come out of this city. It wasn't just black people who were victims of his ignorance either... it was well known that he would send his hired thugs to rough up reporters, activists and pretty much anyone who dared to publicly criticize him. Milwaukee lost an entire generation of social and cultural progress because of his actions which we'll likely continue to feel the effects of well into the 21st century. I hope to all thats good in this universe that he's rotting in hell right next to Hitler and Bull Connor......

Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
I was also in Milwaukee in 1981, a newlywed married to a brand new member of the Milwaukee PD. There was sooooooo much corruption in the Milwaukee PD at that time. Remember Lawrencia Bembeneck? In my opinion, the only difference between the criminal element in the city at that time, was that many of the criminals, also wore badges and carried 38 revolvers. My husband at the time, shamefully shook his head and so much as admitted that Earnest Lacy was definately a victim of police brutality. It was awful for not only the black community, but all of us who lived there at that time! It was wrong for all black men to be labeled as criminals and wrong for all the officers of the Milwaukee PD to be labeled as bigotted, black haters. Milwaukee is such a special place. I'm going back to visit next week after 25 years of being away. I believe that love conquers all. I hope to find that Milwaukee learned from the Earnie Lacy tragedy, and I find my beautiful city by the bay.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Out of curiosity, why is it that every first-timer to this thread seems to revive a thread that hasn't been active for months and/or years, but involves some sort of race discussion?

Out of curiosity, did you find this thread from a google search, decide to comment on it, then get a screen name and account on this site, or did you do it in the reverse order?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
Dear Curious,

Who are you to be critical of me? I wrote it for the same reason that you read it...... First Amendment!!!
As far as the thread being old..... well, I HAVE A LIFE!

You take care now.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Lightbulb Remembering Ernest Ray Lacy........

I first would like to give thanks to those who placed positive posts regarding Ernest Lacy. Indeed there are many misconceptions as to how and why Ernest Lacy died. I would like to share with you some of the most "popular" misconceptions as well as the TRUTHS surrounding the death of Ernest Ray Lacy

"Ernest Lacy fit the description of a rape suspect.” UNTRUE.

On July 9, 1981 according to the recorded dispatch, the rape suspect was a 200 pound black male with braids. The suspect was approximately 6’ tall and wore dark jeans and a dark shirt. On the contrary, Ernest Lacy was 5’11 and weighed 165 pounds. He was dressed in light beige khaki pants with a white tee-shirt when he was accosted by tactical officers. Additionally, Ernest Lacy donned a short Afro hairstyle.

"Ernest Lacy displayed super human strength while high on street drugs and fought with officers". UNTRUE.

Contrary to initial reports, Ernest Lacy NEVER used drugs. This fact became apparent when toxicology reports indicated that Ernest Lacy tested NEGATIVE for any and all illicit drugs. Consequently, this factor gave way to the other untrue misconception.

"Ernest Lacy was a paranoid schizophrenic and was not taking his medication. This is why he displayed super human strength while fighting three tactical squad officers.” UNTRUE.

It was true that two years prior to his death Ernest Lacy sought counseling for depression. However, at the time of his death he neither needed nor was prescribed medication. Ernest Lacy weighed 165 pounds. Each of the three officers weighed between 250-300 pounds. Over 20 eyewitnesses (which included an off-duty firefighter, 6 college students, a nun, etc.) gave sworn statements that Ernest Lacy did NOT fight with officers. Needless to say, he did not possess “super human” strength.

Witnesses testified that Ernest Lacy was already cuffed and subdued when one officer knelt on Lacy’s neck while another officer raised Lacy’s arms 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground. There were also indications that Ernest Lacy had been kicked in his groin area several times. One of the witnesses stated that before Lacy died he looked at the witness and asked, “Why me man?” His eyes turned blank while awaiting a reply and Ernest Ray Lacy died on the street.

There were several other truths that were not disclosed in the media.

Ernest Ray Lacy was then placed in the back of a paddy wagon and driven to two different locations. The first was the supposed rape victim who screamed to officers that the dead black man was NOT her assailant. Next, Ernest Lacy was driven to a nearby bar. A man leaving the bar on foot was arrested for parking tickets and subsequently placed in the wagon with Ernest Lacy. It wasn’t until the guy who was arrested for parking tickets refused to remain in the back of the wagon with a “dead man” that rescue measures were taken to try and “revive” an already dead Ernest Lacy.

Indeed, July 9, 1981 proved to be one of the most life altering times for many. The death of a 22 year old innocent black man caused a lot of heartache and sorrow for many who knew Ernest Lacy personally as well as many who were touched by the grave injustice surrounding his death. However, the death of Ernest Lacy brought about change. The community came together on one accord in protest against police brutality. Non- violent marches boasting over 15,000 protesters were conducted and were reminiscent of the Civil Rights Era.

Although Ernest Ray Lacy was murdered by Milwaukee Police Officers, his death was not in vain. The Lacy Bill was introduced into Congress disallowing life time terms for police chiefs. The Lacy Case received nationwide attention and ultimately brought attention to misconduct and corruption by paid public officials. I hope these TRUTHS were helpful in dispelling the ignorant misconceptions held by some. Ernest Ray Lacy was an innocent, humble soul whose spirit lives on in the hearts of many.

Last edited by alyce lacy; 09-10-2010 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,558 times
^^^ the truth

Last edited by IluvJustice; 09-10-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,469 times
Post Remembering Ernest Lacy

Looking through some old files at home I found my subpoena for the inquest into the death of Ernest Lacy. I kept it all these years as a reminder of a very sad and low point in Milwaukee race relations. I testified at the inquest which received coverage that made national news. Ernest worked for me when I managed the Riverside Theater in downtown Milwaukee during its last legs as a movie theater. Ernest never posed a threat to anyone. The most harmless person I’ve met, very slight build to the point of being frail. As many of the posts made clear, he was a very passive person – almost childlike in his demeanor, at times a seemingly lost soul. True he did have psychological issues and it was my understanding that he battled with drug problems but seemed to be getting his life in order according to his father who also worked at the Riverside as a security guard. Ernest was soft spoken, nervous and did blink a lot. The schizophrenia impacted how he lived and related to others. New people and unfamiliar situations seemed to tax this condition. It was difficult to find a steady job for him at the Riverside because of this. He tended to wander away from the door as a ticket taker and the same with other jobs so he ended up doing minor maintenance work. On one occasion I had him clean the tunnels under the auditorium floor. Popcorn and cups would find their way through the floor vents and so periodically had to be swept. The tunnels were large and well lit but tapered in height as one got closer to the stage. I recall getting him started on the job and he seemed fine. When I checked back an hour later he was frozen in fear and had not moved from the spot where I left him. That is the kind of fear and panic he must have gone through leading up to his death in the back of the paddy wagon. I told this story in my testimony.

Comments posted insinuating that Ernest was in fact the rapist are totally unfounded. Whether anyone was ever found guilty for this crime? I don’t recall. But pointing to Ernest by default is unfair. A conclusion that he was opportunistic because he made a statement to the effect, “they haven’t put no money in my pocket” is taken way out of context. Unless you worked and lived in the inner city and downtown during this time you don’t understand the kind of anger and frustration that was common among many young blacks. Times were changing but not fast enough and certainly not with MPD. Their way of dealing with minorities was all too often deplorable. In my opinion some of the blame to the ills that still hamper the inner city and mistrust of police can be placed on the Brier regime. I recall he made some kind of statement that he knew how to keep his blacks in line. That certainly sums it up, a racist with a stronghold on the community and one that no one dared to challenge.

The Ernest Lacy death was a touchy subject in my family. Many of my in-laws were fine MPD officers including one that later became a suburban police chief. The rank and file always strongly supported the chief and did not want to hear about police misdeeds and excessive force. The Brier control was hard to shake. I recall the open housing marches by Father Groppi in the turbulent 60s. I was in the middle of one that broke into violence on Lincoln Av as the marchers passed Kosciusko Park and were attacked by a mob of neighbors. I was in grade school at the time and with my father visiting relatives in two nearby neighborhoods and happen to cross paths with the marchers at an intersection. Police were tossing tear gas that scattered marchers. At the time I couldn’t understand the need for this response nor do I now. My parent’s home was on a quiet street, Drury Lane near St. Luke’s Hospital. Congressman Zablocki was our neighbor so at times in the summer the neighborhood was under police lockdown when buses of protestors arrived for planned assemblies. Oddly, the congressman was always in DC during these gatherings. I was surprised how neighbors changed when racial fear and panic set in.

I witnessed firsthand the unfounded brutality by MPD at another theater I managed in the late 1970s just prior to Ernest’s death. The Uptown Theater on the North side at 49th and North, 49th & Lisbon was another of the old time movie palaces barely staying afloat. By this time we had found alternative uses for it like concerts (famous Springsteen bomb threat concert held there and Tom Petty just as he made it big) plus late night movies promoted through a radio station. The Fri/Sat late night movies drew large crowds of teens and young adults. At times all 1800 seats were full to take in a Monty Python or rock concert film. We had very few problems with the crowd (unlike the rash of problems at the AMC Theater at Mayfair in recent years). Patrons were patted down by hired security at the door just like a concert. Beat officers routinely stopped by to check if we had any problems and then helped themselves to the booty (confiscated beer and the like). After each late show we patrolled the area streets for any trash left behind to keep the neighbors happy. At the time drinking was legal at age 18 and this was our primary concern with patrons although we rarely had problems. Neighbors were long used to a dying theater and did not welcome the revived business even though the Uptown was licensed as a theater since 1926. Neighbors complained to their alderman and the alderman to the police and finally it went all the way to the chief. We had some hints that something was brewing when a ranking officer visited the theater one night and made vague threats. They became true at one autumn late show. On that night we were aware of undercover officers acting like thugs in the alleys and parking lot, making numerous arrests and roughing up movie goers before they entered. Just as the film began squad cars jumped the curb at the box office blocking the entrance. Paddy wagons blocked side exits. A riot line of officers with helmets, shields and sticks charged the lobby forming a riot line that proceeded down the aisles of the auditorium. The promoter questioned the officers as they entered and they proceeded to smash him headfirst through two sets of glass doors and then continued the beating in a wagon. His mother, in her 60s, ran to my office but was grabbed by her long hair and had her head pinned against the top of the desk. The officers threatened to do the same to me unless I stopped the movie and turned on the house lights. I complied. When the lights came on they found about 900 sleepy customers watching Led Zeppelin’s The Song Remains the Same. They soon realized they did not have enough paddy wagons so then focused on an inspection of the theater premises with the half dozen city inspectors they brought along. I knew these men and they apologized on the way out. They were forced to come out late to find reasons to shut us down. They found no infractions which further frustrated the police. Eventually they left and the film continued. In my opinion they are fortunate to not have created a riot, although I suspect that is what they wanted. A shell game was played trying to locate the holding area of the many who were arrested. None were ever charged in court. The only arrest inside was of a young patron who was pulled out of the auditorium in cuffs for smoking – a cigarette. The ordinance banning smoking in public places of assembly had not been enforced since the early 1950s. His girlfriend, in tears, followed in panic in the lobby. When he tried to tell her to calm down an officer beat him continuously in the head with a black jack (sap/ “short slugger”). I was less than 8 feet away and the sound was like a hammer hitting the tile floor. This was the type of beating going on outside and in the wagons.

The whole matter made the front page of the news but of course painted pro MPD. Eventually it went to Federal Court in Milwaukee and was heard by Judge Reynolds. I testified along with other employees and victims. I recall during the recesses hatred in the eyes of the undercover thugs (now dressed sharply in suits) as they regularly glanced at us and our attorneys. We were told by one attorney that these officers were well known for this type of excess. The slap in the face came with Reynold’s ruling that the police action was illegal and that an illegal search took place. After admonishing this police action punitive damages of $1 were awarded. At the trial we learned that Brier called the shots and gave the green light to a combined police effort by headquarters and 2 or 3 precincts. They even had a communication van set up at Uptown Foods to coordinate all units.

I later attended and testified at the fire and police commission hearing for the officer who beat the patron for smoking a cigarette. I recall Franklyn Gimbel sat on or chaired the commission. I had the officer’s black jack in my suit pocket but for some reason never brought it out, still have it somewhere. He dropped it during the fury of the beating. He was suspended for 3 days without pay and I recall he was nearly in tears telling his attorney that he will never make sergeant. I thought, thank God. Who would want him supervising other officers? A couple of years ago I ran into the kid, now with gray hair, who took the severe beating in the lobby. He mentioned that he filed a civil lawsuit against MPD and took an out of court settlement, the first time MPD ever lost in court.

There is some irony to this story. Ultimately the late shows stopped. MPD put enough fear into patrons that they stayed away. Imagine today in these very violent times if that many teens like at the Uptown gathered at one place late at night? Certainly someone would be beaten, stabbed or shot. Back then it was totally safe but not to the liking of the authorities so they put an end to it. The old theater was razed and a new police precinct was built on the site.

So, if anyone tries to say that MPD was not at fault in the death of Ernest Lacey I call that complete rubbish. Their method of choke restraint has been criticized for many years as improper technique but I recall reading that it is still in use. And for the fans of COPS, the show is simply that – a show, staged and sanitized to always paint a picture of police always in the right. If anything positive came out of his death then it was the beginning of the end of the Brier way of policing. I know police work is demanding and often a thankless job. Most officers are decent and do their job very well but I will never change my opinion that there are far too many out there that don’t belong in this line of work due to dishonesty and brutality.

My experiences have also made me skeptical of the media which all too often reports what they want to report and not the facts. Be wary of what you have read about Terry Cullen, the reptile expert who has been charged with sexual assault, mistreatment of animals and harboring endangered animals. All news has been very one-sided and clearly fed by the police and authorities. I knew Terry very well many years ago and everything written about him is extremely out of character and frankly very unbelievable. Terry ran an efficient and well respected security company that he started in the 1970s with the advent of rock concerts in the metro area. He handled security for concerts at the Uptown, Riverside, Oriental, Alpine Valley, the old Arena to name a few and was always very professional, respectful and completely honest. I hope he gets a fair trial with the truth coming to light. Unfortunately success in the courtroom depends on the quality of representation – and that costs big money. I hope his results are better than what I observed with Ernest Lacy and the Uptown raid.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
I too remember this day in our city's history, I am not very political but knew this wasn't right. My husband and I protested right along our fellow citizens to the horrible mistreatment to ernest lacey. I grew up on the near north side , my husband rural mexico this really got to us and it STILL HAPPENS ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY!!!!! im sickened and sad for humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee