Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 19,591 times

Advertisements

Why do you read the posts but can't be bothered to answer the question? 95 people read and 2 reply? All I am asking is where are the good neighborhoods, I don't give a rats about schools my child is too young and we wil be gone before she is school age. I don't want to blindly move to a random city and end up in the 'hood. Do you really have that much going on, seeing as how you are on a Milwaukee MB? I have never wanted to even visit Wisconsin now I am being forced to live there and have no idea where to begin..I am researching as much as I can and only one person has bothered to share any useful information (go mrkool). If you take the time to come on here and talk about how great Mke is then maybe you can help someone who will be moving there. I know I have to get "un-used" to southern hospitality but wow what a start.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjmc1 View Post
Why do you read the posts but can't be bothered to answer the question? 95 people read and 2 reply? All I am asking is where are the good neighborhoods, I don't give a rats about schools my child is too young and we wil be gone before she is school age. I don't want to blindly move to a random city and end up in the 'hood. Do you really have that much going on, seeing as how you are on a Milwaukee MB? I have never wanted to even visit Wisconsin now I am being forced to live there and have no idea where to begin..I am researching as much as I can and only one person has bothered to share any useful information (go mrkool). If you take the time to come on here and talk about how great Mke is then maybe you can help someone who will be moving there. I know I have to get "un-used" to southern hospitality but wow what a start.
Cripes! Ok, never saw your posts & if I did, I dont' have children so I seriously cant help w/your findings. However, I will tell you that my best friend lives on like 86th or 85th & Capitol & she likes it. However, keep in mind that they have to stay w/in the city limits to be able to work for the city. So I'm sorry, I really don't know where would be a good area for you as I don't have kids. I will say that I LOVE the east side (for me, that means Brady St. vicinity), but I'm also single, but I think you'd love it just as much. Another area you might want to look into is Bayview, it's considered the "new" east side, that's where I live now. I dont' like it, but because you have a kid, you may like it. So I guess I would say anything from Oklahoma north to like Walkers Point. Does this help?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
I was one of the readers who didn't respond. I apologize, because I have a few suggestions. I apologize twice, as a former Virginian who really blew the Southern Hospitality thing

I think you mentioned a $1200 budget. For that price you could live in an apartment in Shorewood, on the east side, and maybe Whitefish Bay.

Everything gets more suburban the farther away from the city that one travels. I prefer the more urban areas. The east side or Bay View would probably be enjoyable for you, especially if you aren't worried about schools or things like that. The east side has a little bit of a younger crowd.

That is not to say that there aren't other good places to live. Wauwatosa is nice. I'm not a big fan of West Allis, but that's just me. Obviously a lot of people live there, so it must not be a bad place to live.

It would help a little if you mentioned if you are looking for specific amenities. I would say if you're looking for a rental, the price at $1200, can be met in many areas.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Great attitude, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends with comments like these - never even wanted to visit Wisconsin, forced to live here, un-used to southern hospitality. I'll resist the urge to fight fire with fire & spit back a generalization of the south after that last comment.

Anyways stop being lazy & use the search function. There's only about 50 threads done on this topic already & people get a little tired of answering the same question. When I moved to Milwaukee I was wondering about the neighborhoods as well & after about 15 minutes of reading old threads I had the layout of the city & good/bad neighborhoods down. It's best to use other sites to research & then use this message board only to confirm what I already researched. Facts always before opinions. This isn't hard.

Sheesh, what did people do before the internet?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
First of all, shut the hell up. People on these boards give generously of their time and efforts to provide information when they are able, as evidenced by over 500 threads full of information on the Milwaukee metro area. One thing very few of us will tolerate is people demanding our time. We will help you at OUR pleasure, not at yours.

Second, maybe some people read your thread but decide after reading that they don't know enough about the topic to give an intelligent answer.

Third, it could be that some read your thread because they had the same question and were hoping the thread gave them their answer -- in other words, people who probably used the "search" function before asking a question that's basically been asked and answered about 8,397 times already.

Fourth, I hope you realize that a vast majority of the "read" hit counts are not actual human beings but web crawlers indexing web pages for search engines.

Last edited by Drover; 11-07-2008 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 01:49 AM

45 posts, read 177,655 times
Well, I never saw your post, but then I am only looking for info on Hawaii! But, I am from the west central part of Wisconsin so I thought I would reply. If possible, stay the heck out of Milwaukee! It is a city, and just like most cities, there is a general lack of interest in becoming neighborly or sociable with anyone. If I were you and HAD to move there, I would check into the outlying areas and find a little town to set down your bags. Even if it means spending an hour to drive to work, you might find your stay much, much more pleasant than moving directly into Milwaukee. I grew up and spend most of my early adulthood in a suburb of Chicago. I absolutely, without question ADORE living here in Wisconsin. Neighbors will lend a hand without asking, people are friendly and everyone minds their own business. So I think that you will find more "southern hospitality" in a small community and be so much happier....at least until you experience your first Wisconsin WINTER!! Bundle up...it gets cold and snowy! Best of luck to you and hope you find a nice place to settle into.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 19,591 times
Sorry if I came off as rude I am just frustrated, I am 24 with a 1 y.o and the thought of moving 1000 miles away is daunting to say the least. Again thank you for the helpful reponses.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:

I'm from the South and have lived in Wi for over 1/4 century. It is much less violent, racist, and "nicer" than most any southern city I have either lived in or visitsed- and that's a whole lotta 'em.

If you do even basic research, you will find an area you can tolerate for your time here.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:09 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,367 times
Maybe people were put off by your abrasiveness. "I live around black people now and I hate it" you had said in your previous post. "why aren't people more helpful" you whined. "I never wanted to live in Wisconsin". With an attitude like that, you are going to have trouble making friends. For future reference, most people need a little more info other than what ethnic group you want to stay away from such as where will your husband work, how long of a commute is he willing to drive, do you want an urban, suburban, or rural community, what kind of space do you need in your dwelling, etc.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,833 times
My husband is also on recruiting orders for Milwaukee. We are in the middle of our PCS now (still on leave). We found that we loved the Oak Creek/Franklin area and that the village of Greendale was also quite nice. The crime rates are low and the people seem pretty friendly. We stayed in New Berlin while we were house hunting and liked parts of it too. Overall my impression of the area is that it is really nice. Everything is very scenic and people seem to take a great deal of pride in their lawns and how their homes look. I will say that given the information you provided it seems like you would want to be in more of a suburban area vs. downtown Milwaukee. I would look at Craigslist.com, the classifieds proved to be so much more useful than rent.com, etc. We found our Condo through craigslist. While we were staying at a hotel in New Berlin we found this great pizza place called Stone Fire Pizza Company. It had so much for our little ones to do. They have different rooms with different activities (think Chuck e Cheese meets Dave and Busters). I wish you a smooth transition to the Milwaukee area, we have lived in too many different places to count and I would say hands down that Wisconsin is one of the most beautiful states that I have had the pleasure of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee