Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM

342 posts, read 1,427,394 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good Mexican restaurant in the area that has authenic Carne Asada Burritos?

I grew up in Southern California and while reading the San Diego forum, someone had asked for a recipe. I had never heard of them so did a little research. If anyone has had any locally, could you let me know where? I would love to try them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM

88 posts, read 301,323 times
I'm not positive that both of these sell carne asada burritos, but El Burrito Mercado and Boca Chica have authentic food. Both are on St. Paul's West Side on Cesar Chavez St. Pretty sure you can check both menus online.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
There are two places where you are going to find fairly authentic Mexican cuisine:

St. Paul's West Side - Generally speaking Cesar Chavez St. Check out Boca Chica, El Burrito Mercado, Mi Tierra, El Almanecer.

Midtown Minneapolis - E. Lake St. Check out Taqueria La Hacienda, Mercado Central, La Poblanita, Taqueria Los Ocampo, Las Mojarras, Las Tapatias. If you're into a Cantina type of environment you may want to check out La Que Buena.

Now, back to your question. First off, burritos are more tex-mex than authentic Mexican, although I guess you can get them in the northern parts. Where I lived in Mexico (Morelos, near Mexico City) burritos don't exist. Secondly, carne asada literally translates to grilled meat, which is very vague. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what kind of meat you're talking about, so I'm just going to recommend the best burrito joint in town - Piñeda Tacos. There are two of them on E. Lake St in Minneapolis, one just on the east side of 35W and another one next to the Subway in the retail wedge on the north side of Lake and just west of Hiawatha Ave. I've seen another place on Robert St. called Piñeda but I'm not 100% sure it's the same place. Anyways, picture a Chipotle with real Mexican ingredients and beverages. I don't know what they have for carne asada but they have pastor, carnitas, barbacoa, tinga, etc. It's probably you're best bet.

EDIT: I decided to do a google search "carne asada minneapolis" and found that there is apparently a restaurant called "Carne Asada" on or near the Lake/Chicago intersection. I don't remember ever seeing this, can anybody confirm this place exists? If it does, you should go there.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,240,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

Midtown Minneapolis - Mercado Central
Gotta' vouch for that place being the most authentic mexican food I've ever had in my entire life. Love it.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Agreed, Mercado Central is awesome. In one central location you will find:
-panadería
-pozoleria
-fresh tamales
-fresh liquados
-dulceria with all the popular Mexican candy
-carniceria, nothing better than fresh Mexican style meats

On the west section of the market there are about 6 different restaurants with a central area with tables an chairs, kind of a mall style. We often go there on Saturday or Sunday afternoons for Pozole.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,394 times
Thanks guys - I am going to check all the suggestions out and try a few. The people in San Diego said that the Carne Asada is a marrinated flater cut of meat. It is grilled and sliced rather thin and put on a tortilla. Most out there agree that they like theirs with a little guac. I think I would prefer sliced avacodo's - I don't like to ruin the flavor by adding things and smashing them up.

I want to find out more about the Mercado Central and go there too,

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM

It's on 28th & Nicollet.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Mercado Central is on Bloomington Ave and E Lake St. I'm not sure what you're referring to on 28th and Nicollet. Off the top of my head there are a couple Asian places, namely Quangs. There is a Mexican bar/restaurant on 24th and Nicollet called Pancho Villa's but I question the authenticity there. It's a better place to go to down Mexican beer and listen to karaoke of Vicente Fernandez and Joan Sebastian songs.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Well, seeing as Mercado Central clearly means "Central Market", it wouldn't be too ridiculous for there to be multiple Mexican joints that go by that name.

Regardless, there is a Mexican supermarket on 28th & Nicollet (on the Northwest corner) called Mercado Central, it shares its space with Marissa's Bakery, a Mexican bakery. And that's what I was referring to when I said Mercado Central is the most authentic Mexican I've ever had.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM

No, trust me. If you ask 100 Mexicans in Minneapolis where Mercado Central is all 100 of them will point you to the Mercado Central on Bloomington and Lake. The only Mexican restaurant I can find on 28th and Nicollet is a restaurant called "El Mariachi" which has the same address as Marissa's bakery (2750 Nicollet Ave). I ate at a restaurant there back in 2006 and it was comparable to Taco Taxi, aka subpar at best, I believe there were tacos, tortas and alambres on the menu. It may or may not have been the same joint you're referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul