Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63376 View Post
Once a week shoveling would be easy. I grew up in Maine and 25 years ago I used to shovel 14 inches
to get my car out.. Great exercise..
We will get those larger snowfalls once or twice a year too. One year we had 22" on Tuesday, 24" on Thursday of the same week-that was fun. Around here it is more the timing of the storm vs the amount of snow that cause problems. A couple years ago we got 3 smaller snowfalls, I think they were all about 4" but they hit right at rush hour. Had those come even 2 hours later, they wouldn't have caused any issues. If we get 20" of snow starting at say 6 PM falling until say 3 AM, most of the major roads would probably be cleared by 8 AM and the secondary roads by noon or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM

302 posts, read 727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63376 View Post
MSMCGirl:

What model of Michelin tires did you get? Michelin X-Ice? Did they work well on the ice
at night? If my Infiniti has trouble, I will need to get some snow tires but based on golfgal,
I will try out my 1st snow storm before forking out $600 for winter tires..

Denver has the ugliest 4 inch mushy snow storms and they just wait for it to melt away instead
of plowing it away and somehow I manage with my stock tires.. (At 25mph)
I bought a used Toyota Highlander which came from Florida....so I bought Michelin LTX M/S2 tires at Costco for better traction in the winter (vs the "touring" tires it came with). They are EXCELLENT! Really good grip in the winter.

I would count on more ice here than mush. It's not the snow here that's the problem, it's the ice. I'm pretty sure it gets a lot colder in Minnesota than in Denver and things don't melt as much. Major hwys are usually pretty clean and very well salted, but side streets - and especially corners - can get pretty icy, even after being plowed. I agree with the other recommendation to get something with at least FWD....or wait it out but at the VERY least get some good tires by mid November.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM

336 posts, read 927,706 times
There are certainly storms where you will will be shoveling 8-12 inches of snow, but they are only once in awhile. I personally prefer those over when we get in the "alberta clipper" mode- we'll get maybe 3 inhes every other day. Sandbags in the back of your car was excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul