Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 AM

15 posts, read 46,658 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move from the suburbs of Chicago to the Minn/STP area for my spouse's job. The new position would be in STP, near Vadneis Heights. We'd like to have a max of a 30 minute commute. We have a child in 8th grade on an IEP with an ASD dx - high functioning to the point he probably doesn't meet the criteria anymore, mainstreamed, very smart, consistently A's and B's. His IEP trends towards executive skills, organization and time management rather than behavior/academic.

I'm looking for a high school that would implement and proactively work with our son's IEP. He is not driven to make friends, but does like to socialize so clubs and activities would be nice. He's a bit quirky and honestly requires reminders that perhaps using a filter when he speaks is a better choice - but is very funny and overall a good kid. The current jr high of grades 6-8 has 600 students and he does fine - the hs he will attend here has +3000 students. That being said - after researching some areas, it looks like a 'big' school for M/StP is comparable to the one he is to attend here. He isn't into sports or art. He's on student council, yearbook, speech team and will start debate this year.

We're looking for the perfect storm I suppose - an environment where he will have the opportunity to continue to find his way and develop good common sense - but won't be taken advantage of by kids and wind up in life altering trouble. Being 'street smart' does not come naturally to him. Teachers that will take a vested interest in his development and welcome parents who actively participate in their kids academic life - versus roll their eyes if they get an email. His high school needs to understand that college is his end goal, that he is completely able to achieve it with phased out continuation of assistance and work cooperatively with us to achieve this. Short version: he can't be a number or a box to be checked.

We aren't adverse to private or charter schools if they are a fit, but would like to live in a strong public school district as a Plan B in case there is a waiting list issue or we have to move him.

We are looking for a home with a minimum of 2750 sf, a bit of a yard (coming from Chicagoland, our 1/3 acre is considered average/large), safe neighborhood and while we aren't constrained by cost in theory it appears 550k should be more than enough. We are more suburb folk who would like the option to go into the city.

I've done a fair bit of research but would ask that people chime in with their suggestions as to high schools that might fit to see what I've missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:54 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times
I can't speak to your specific school inquiries, but can relay that this area is known for its good schools and associated programs for kids with every need you can imagine, whether it be special needs or advanced education. You should have no problem finding what you're looking for there.....and your housing budget will obviously get you a lot more here that it would in Chicagoland. 550K should set you up very nicely most places in the TC metro, maybe with the exception of the upper tier lakefront properties.

We lived in McHenry, IL outside of Chicago for a year back in 2014, and although that was definitely a nice area, it just does not compare to the natural beauty and community vibe we've found here. Minnesota is amazingly beautiful and MUCH SAFER than anywhere in or near Chicago. Most people are educated and friendly, and I personally find the seasons to be quite invigorating (yes, even winter). The parks system here is like nothing you've ever seen......and if you love the water........well, just come and see for yourself. It is just fantastic. Picturesque lakes, rivers, ponds, etc. seemingly around every corner. We try to find new ones to frequent each week.

I've actually lived all over the country, and after being here for 7 months I can say without hesitation that I couldn't imagine a better place to settle and raise a family.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM

442 posts, read 593,992 times
I highly recommend the Mounds View school district — my younger brother flourished in the special ed system there, and formed such good friendships that he actually lives with two other roommates who went through the same system with him, including one on the spectrum. It's one of the best school districts in the system, and living in it would put you right next to Vadnais Heights. Similarly you could look at Mahtomedi, which also has a very good district.

With your budget you could afford a very nice home in Shoreview or Arden Hills (look up 5890 Pond View Drive on your favorite real estate site), or a home in need of minor updates in North Oaks (i.e. 2 Aspen Lane).

And welcome to Minnesota — my wife and I spent 6 years in the greater Chicago area.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
Welcome! Having lived in several areas (Barrington, IL being one of them), I can try to be of some help.

Loosely, 90% of MN school districts will offer great schools, and probably 95% if you are talking suburbs exclusively. I won't pretend to know specifics about how schools would handle your son's specific situation, only to say that we are the best state when it comes to social services. It was actually my nephews elementary school that noticed his autism before his mother actually did, and he had extensive accommodations all through school, and in fact post HS graduation even!

Some of the best school districts are:
Wayzata
Minnetonka
Eagan/Apple Valley/Rosemount (I live here)
Lakeville
Edina
Eden Prairie
Hopkins
Moundsview
Prior Lake/Savage

Of these, Mounds View (city of Shoreview) is going to provide the best commute options for you, so this may be a good place to start. But like I said, since most schools are going to be good, I would focus on cities that meet your commute and housing needs first, then ensure the school district is decent. Generally speaking, in MN, one wouldn't NEED a private or charter school for purely academic or even social service reasons.

So, given your house price and commute stipulations, I would check out the following suburbs:

Vadnais Heights
Shoreview
Arden hills
Roseville (older, closer in suburb)
Stillwater (huge high school, a bit removed from the metro, gets weekend sightseers)
Woodbury (has 2 high schools, southern one is newer, but both are considered good)

Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 46,658 times
Thanks everyone. These are all on my radar - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a hidden gem.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,423 times
Having moved from MN to NW burbs of Chicago back to the Twin Cities I say this in all sincerity - your OP reads like someone who is used to the very competitive nature of Chicago school district shopping culture. Where being in the best/perfect district drives home prices by an inordinate amount.

In general - there are a dozen or more suburban districts that are very good to great. Many have been listed above. I understand your child has certain specific needs and I greatly appreciate your proactive approach. I’d encourage you to call the schools you’re considering and ask what their plans would be/programs that your kid would have access to.

With your sq ft requirements and your budget you can get into virtually any of them. So it will come down more to commute direction/time, whether you prefer a walkable suburb or more of a newer, car-oriented one, whether you want to be close to certain amenities (big recreational lakes, certain shopping etc) and the age of home you desire.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM

264 posts, read 314,125 times
Is your new position by any chance in Little Canada? You mentioned Vadnais Heights and St Paul, LC is right between them.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 AM

5 posts, read 7,545 times
Vadnais Heights would probably be perfect, actually. Or White Bear Lake, which is the next city over and would be your son’s school district. Both are about ten minutes north of Saint Paul.
I saw Shoreview and Arden Hills mentioned, those are both also nice areas with a little more to do (shopping, restaurants) but there’s more traffic and noise than in Vadnais and White Bear. I think you’d be happy living in any of these cities. I hope you find your happy home, wherever it might be. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul