Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 AM

455 posts, read 638,425 times

Advertisements

I have wondered about this for a while... and what better place to ask the question than this...

What is the deal with Minnesotans and Arizona? I'm not saying this as a negative thing, but it seems like the only place Minnesotans go to vacation/escape the cold is Arizona? (Obviously, that is hyperbole.) I am just curious if there is some reason for that? Why not Florida? Georgia? South Carolina? For that matter, why not New Mexico or Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Plenty of Minnesotans do go to Florida, Georgia, Carolina's, etc. but they also go to Arizona. Many people like the dry climate and it is cheep to live there.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM

136 posts, read 276,890 times
I know just as many Minnesota-Florida snowbirds as I do Minnesota-Arizona snowbirds. I even know several MN-TX snowbirds! They are out there, not just in Arizona! Some people just prefer dry heat to a humid, more tropical feel.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM

455 posts, read 638,425 times
Interesting. Well maybe my data sample is just skewed, then. I just hear so much about people going to Arizona, and even on this forum it seems like there are a plurality of people who answer the "where would you go if you left Minnesota?" question with Arizona. I just always noticed that because I had never really known people to vacation in Arizona for the climate, but I certainly acknowledge that I have not done a scientific study of where all Minnesotans go to get away.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
I visit family in Florida about once a year. I have a sister in Arizona, but it's been years since I visited down there.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Most of my MN relatives who have headed south have gone to AZ, but I know people with relatives in Florida, too.

I remember reading in the book "Early Bird" (by a guy who "retires" early to Florida) that the Atlantic side of FL was heavily populated by former New Yorkers and other east coasters, while the gulf side was filled with Midwesterners. He attributed it to the ways the interstates dump people off in the state. Maybe the AZ connection was forged a bit later and isn't as tied to the road map.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM

136 posts, read 276,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I remember reading in the book "Early Bird" (by a guy who "retires" early to Florida) that the Atlantic side of FL was heavily populated by former New Yorkers and other east coasters, while the gulf side was filled with Midwesterners.
I would buy into this. The gulf side is where I'm heading tomorrow to visit my parents who head down there for a few months each winter. They tried AZ, NM, TX and when they went to Marco Island, FL, that was it! They've been going down there for well over 10 years now and while many of their friends and neighbors are from the East coast, many are also from here, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

I think it all just depends on if you prefer desert or tropics!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 131,484 times
I was recently down in South Padre Island, TX with a basketball player who played HS basketball in Minnesota and started this season in the NBA. When he wasn't playing we'd be sitting together, and we saw a ton of people with Gophers and other Minnesota related clothing on. We started talking to some of the people and it's a very popular spot for Midwesterners to travel to in the winter.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM

127 posts, read 192,512 times
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a Minnesota Embassy in Fort Myers, FL. It seems like everyone around here with a little bit of money has snapped up a condo and spends a good chunk of Twins Spring Training there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul