Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,985 times

Advertisements

Ok, I moved to AZ from OH in 2007. Arizona is not what it's cracked up to be, at least it's not for me. I'm looking to be part of a community. I am a writer who would like to connect with other artists and intellects. I've been told that Minneapolis has a great art scene. I began researching the area, but I would like to hear from the people.

1) How are the people? Friendly? Standoffish?
2) What's the economy like? I know.
3) Where do the artists/writers/intellects hang out?
4) How is the nightlife?
5) How are the bookstores? Mom and pop or chain stores. Both?
6) How are the drivers? Crazy like Arizona drivers?
7) What is the commute time?
8) What is MN doing to embrace "green" living?

I have many questions, but I would like to avoid making a mistake. I hate to use the word "mistake," but I feel like my move to Arizona was based on a mirage. Let me know is Minneapolis is as "vibrant" as people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raszz19 View Post

If 1 is Very standoffish and 10 is very friendly I'd say the Twin Cities is about a 3.5

Quote:
I give the current economy here a C+ when compared nationally.

Quote:
Popular artist areas are Northeast Minneapolis, Uptown/Walker area of South Minneapolis. Intellects can be found in most areas in Minneapolis proper, I tend to run into alot in the Uptown area and in the West Bank U of M area.

Quote:
4) How is the nightlife?
Downtown Minneapolis = B+
Uptown Minneapolis = B
South Minneapolis = B-
Northeast Minneapolis/University = B
Downtown St. Paul = B-
Suburbs = D-

Quote:
I don't know much about bookstores beyond big chains like Borders. In Minneaoplis and St. Paul proper you'll find a mix of chains and independantly owned stores, in the suburbs it is almost exclusively chains with mom and pop stores few and far between.

Quote:
I think the drivers are below average here. Minnesotan drivers are passive aggressive and don't know how to merge. We just can't grasp the concept of merging.

Quote:
Totally depends where you live and where you commute to. I live in the city and commute to the suburbs and my commute time is under 20 mins. I bike to work when it's warm out.

Quote:
Minneapolis has alot of initiatives to promote green living by promoting biking, community gardens, farmers' markets, recycling, etc. We have a few freeways with MN Pass/carpool lanes to promote ridesharing. We're starting to build up our metro infrastructure with one light rail line, another one in the early construction phase and several other in the developmental stages. This month a heavy commuter rail is being opened which connects the northwestern suburbs with Downtown Minneapolis.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Uptown's Magers and Quinn is the largest independent bookstore in the Twin Cities. I think Booksmart, also in Uptown, is also an independent. You definitely want to live in the city (or maybe in a few select suburbs) if you value independent stores over chains.

Minneapolis is a pretty green city; biking is a huge thing, even in the winter, and it's second only to Portland in number of bike commuters. Public transportation is decent in most city neighborhoods, and adequate in some suburbs. It's easy to live in neighborhoods like Uptown without a car; certain neighborhoods also have shared cars available now (like Zipcar, although the local version is called HOURCAR).

The economy is pretty good compared to much of the nation, but of course that's all relative and doesn't mean that it's doing well.

People can be very friendly, but it can also be tough to break in socially. I think it's easier if you live in the city and if you're younger (and are willing to make an effort), but admittedly that's one of the things that newcomers complain about.

Artists/writers are all over; Slig's list is pretty good.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:17 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
I think people are very friendly here but not so much annoyingly so. There is a big cultural difference between the core cities and the suburbs.

Meh. Some areas are better than others, but not too great right now- supposedly some recent positive however. My nonprofit org's been hiring a fair amount recently, in part due to stimulus $ (still a pretty tough sector to crack into however).

Places mentioned above, and some addtl areas would be downtown Mpls and North Mpls is getting more of an arts scene. You'd probably like this place downtown: Open Book Home

4) How is the nightlife?
I'm ambivalent on this one, not too big on the nightlife scene and never really was.

Both, more independent in core cities.

Fine, can be fairly aggravating at times but usually due to over-cautiousness vs. recklessness.

Live in a core city and it's nothing if you work in the core city.

Mpls is known as being one of the frontrunners in the nation to embrace 'green' initiatives.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,985 times
Thanks for all of the feedback, I really appreciate. Maybe I should just go back to my hometown of Cleveland, OH and say the heck with moving anywhere or just leave the country.

I recently volunteered at an event for the AZ Humane Society and it was the first time in two years that I met warm and friendly Arizonians. I was in shock! Arizona has sunshine throughout the year, but people have "sourpuss" faces. I haven't made any friends in AZ because the social circles seem to be closed up for some reason. The people are like desert animals: pickup a rock and the insects and animals scurry away and do not come back until you put the rock down. Perhaps it's not the U.S. states but our culture that has become standoffish and closed. Hmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul