Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,435,431 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think Twin Cities natives have distinct accents from other Minnesotans? It seems like TC-area natives like Michelle Bachmann and Tom Emmer (I've noticed it in other MSP residents, too) have more of a "Wisconsin" or "Chicago" twang to their voices that you don't hear in outstate residents, especially those from Southwest MN. To me, it sounds like someone from the Twin Cities could easily be from Madison or Chicago or even Detroit (yes, I know I'm from MI, so I have a touch of the accent myself), whereas those from southern and southwestern Minnesota have more of a neutral, newscaster-type accent (or NON accent).

Does anyone else hear this, or am I just crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,815,971 times
To me its a long dragged out regional whine. Some people have it worse than others - yesterday I was on a conference call with a particularly bad case.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,774,512 times
I actually think it's the opposite; generally people in the Twin Cities have less of a distinct accent than those "outstate." I think politicians like Bachmann exaggerate it at times just to seem more "Minnesotan." I think accent depends on many different variables, and presumably origins of parents have an impact, too (Bachmann isn't originally from the Twin Cities, for example, and I assume her parents were born and raised elsewhere, although she did grow up in MN). When I notice a strong MN accent the people tend to be from smaller towns elsewhere in the state, although sometimes Twin Cities native have it, too.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone has a non-accent. At the very least it will be recognizable as "American."

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,664,231 times
So many people come from out of state (myself included), that any accent you pick up here is either family related or a generic "midwest" dialect that broadcasters emulate. Native Minnesotans from outstate have their own accents, but they aren't as noticeable in town.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,435,431 times
How can a family have its own accent?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,406,988 times
This has been done before....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...es-accent.html

Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,899,813 times
Yes. I think I have it a little, especially since much of my family IS FROM Southern Wisconsin and Chicago (and now Cleveland). I do know what you are talking about, but it certainly takes a great ear to distinguish the difference.

One thing I notice I saw a lot is "what's that?". But I don't say it that way at all, I say "wussat?" instead. Kind of like a combination of "puss" with a "w" instead, and "at".

Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,774,512 times
Because families come from a variety of places and bring their own backgrounds to the mix. My husband says some things in a way that sounds more like what his Illinois-raised parents (and probably his own early Illinois childhood) say; I have some words that don't sound particularly "Minnesotan" because I picked them up elsewhere. People are always moving around, so even if you find someone who was born in the Twin Cities it's unlikely that both of their parents were, too. It's not like this is an area where people have been living for many, many generations; maybe you can find a few people like that, but this area is still pretty young. Any strong regional accent is by nature going to be pretty diluted and more generic Midwestern. I assume that the accents in smaller towns are generally going to be less diluted just by the nature of demographics and migration patterns.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,722,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I actually think it's the opposite; generally people in the Twin Cities have less of a distinct accent than those "outstate." I think politicians like Bachmann exaggerate it at times just to seem more "Minnesotan." I think accent depends on many different variables, and presumably origins of parents have an impact, too (Bachmann isn't originally from the Twin Cities, for example, and I assume her parents were born and raised elsewhere, although she did grow up in MN). When I notice a strong MN accent the people tend to be from smaller towns elsewhere in the state, although sometimes Twin Cities native have it, too.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone has a non-accent. At the very least it will be recognizable as "American."

I'll second this. I feel those in the cities tend to have a slightly smaller Minnesotan accent than those in more rural areas.

Has anyone noticed that all the individuals who are interviewed for soundbites by the local news have extreme accents. It's as if the news wants to legitimize the story by have a more "true" Minnesotan or something? I could just be going crazy too.......

Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,697,309 times
Welcome back West336!

Anyway. I think that the accent is much more prevalent in 'outstate' than the Twin Cities. Growing up in the metro, I heard it, but not to the 'Fargo' extent. When I lived in St. Cloud I never noticed it, mainly because I was in college and was around younger people (who typically don't have the accent) and were from all over the midwest.

I lived in Duluth for 2 years, and in those 2 years I could definitely tell the locals had a much thicker accent. It was very noticable. I still think that middle-aged to elderly women have it the most. Their twangy, high-pitched drawn out OOOOO's make me naucious. And the EEYY sound while saying things like "BAG". Um, it's not BAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYGG, it's BAG. Same with TAKE. It's not TAAAYYYEEK. It's TAKE. Or LAAAYYYEK. Also, combining words. Especially words that end in a D. Instead of saying ""End in a D" it sounds like "endinna D"

"Heeey, let's GOOOOO OOOOUUUT on da BOOOOOOAT and take a spin aroundA LAAAYYYEEK"

Minnesotans have an tendancy of throwing meaningless little garbage words at the end of sentences. "Do you want me to make you a lunch, real quick?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul