Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Oh, sure. How about that guy who just stole 2nd base?
Ok, that was funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:20 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
What's the legal complaint going to be? I mean seriously, this stuff drives me crazy... People think the Twins just have to let people do whatever they want to at the ballpark?

(Sorry to pick on you, west--you were one of the most sympathetic posters to the Twins, after all...)
I'm sorry, I misquoted or you misrepresented what I was saying.....I'm saying a brief kiss of less than 5 seconds is no big deal for ANYBODY and if they were hassled they would have a legal reason to sue the Twins.

Or am I mis-understanding YOU?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Oh, sure. How about that guy who just stole 2nd base?
Or coveted thy neighbors' wife! JK, but I bet that happens too....(sheepish).

George Costanza: "Oh yeah, well the Jerk Store called, and they said they're running out of YOU!"
Co-Worker: "Well YOU would know, YOU'RE their best customer!"
.....laughs.....
George Costanza: "Well I had sex with your wife!"
.....complete awe and silence.....

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm sorry, I misquoted or you misrepresented what I was saying.....I'm saying a brief kiss of less than 5 seconds is no big deal for ANYBODY and if they were hassled they would have a legal reason to sue the Twins.

Or am I mis-understanding YOU?
I actually was posing the question to the broader audience of the thread, not just you specifically, but I will clarify.

You might think anybody should be allowed to kiss anybody for less than five seconds at Target Field. But I'm suggesting that there is no meritorious legal claim that this girl can file. What is she going to sue them for? Presumably it is the Twins' (or some affiliated entity's) property. Even if the Twins couldn't refuse to sell tickets to someone on the basis of homosexual lifestyle choice (which they probably could, at least in most states), the Twins could tell these girls (or anybody else) to change their behavior in the stadium or leave.

Now, the Twins might cave and say "oh we're so sorry"--but that's a PR matter, not a legal matter.

If anybody knows of a Minnesota statute that they could sue under though, please let me know.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
I thought the 5 second rule only applied to stuff on the kitchen floor...

Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I actually was posing the question to the broader audience of the thread, not just you specifically, but I will clarify.

You might think anybody should be allowed to kiss anybody for less than five seconds at Target Field. But I'm suggesting that there is no meritorious legal claim that this girl can file. What is she going to sue them for? Presumably it is the Twins' (or some affiliated entity's) property. Even if the Twins couldn't refuse to sell tickets to someone on the basis of homosexual lifestyle choice (which they probably could, at least in most states), the Twins could tell these girls (or anybody else) to change their behavior in the stadium or leave.

Now, the Twins might cave and say "oh we're so sorry"--but that's a PR matter, not a legal matter.

If anybody knows of a Minnesota statute that they could sue under though, please let me know.
Here you go:

Quote:
Minnesota law prohibits discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, public service, education, credit, and business based on “sexual orientation,” which is defined to include transgender individuals. MINN. STAT. §363A.01 to §363A.41

http://www.hrc.org/issues/1070.htm
If heterosexual couples can kiss then so can gay couples. For what it is worth, Target Field is owned by the Minnesota Ballpark Authority which is an entity of the Minnesota state goverment. It is a public facility. You shouldn't assume that it is legal to discriminate against gays, that may be the norm in some of the more backwards parts of the country but it is by no means the case everywhere.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-20-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM

"Oh, look what I just found on the floor!" Some folks just can't wait...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Oops, wrong one. Here's the original:
http://load.hostphotofree.com/3878c6286d89ecd944d95bbc4c93e851/tumblr_lmyu0xVdHp1qzrlhgo1_r1_500.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Here you go:

If heterosexual couples can kiss then so can gay couples. For what it is worth, Target Field is owned by the Minnesota Ballpark Authority which is an entity of the Minnesota state goverment. It is a public facility. You shouldn't assume that it is legal to discriminate against gays, that may be the norm in some of the more backwards parts of the country but it is by no means the case everywhere.
Oh please. Spare me the editorializing.

I was unsure about the ownership/operation arrangement of the stadium, and that could complicate things, depending on state law. Under the statute, there could arguably be a claim, I suppose. I wish I hadn't seen that though--that makes me think even less of Minnesota as a fringe left state.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
If you think Minnesota is a fringe left state because it bans discrimination based on prejudice then I don't know what to say about that. Nearly all of the western world outside of some parts of the US bans discrimination against gays.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-20-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul