Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,285 times

Advertisements

Hi- We are a family of 4 looking to relocate from downtown Minneapolis to a smaller town west of the city. We are looking for the following checklist:

- good school district with 200 or less students per grade
- lake
- a downtown or community
- less than or around 30 miles from Minneapolis
- kid friendly community

I have heard great things about Victoria, but have learned that the community splits within three high schools... Something we don't love.

Delano? Rockford? Any feedback?

Any advice if places NOT to move too is also welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 PM

332 posts, read 822,045 times
Orono deserves a shout out. One of my friends grew up there and I really like the area.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
Chaska perhaps but I don't know how big the school is.

I know someone who moved to Big Lake recently and they're quite happy out there.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Boy, the 200 students or less is going to be a tough one to find that close to the metro.

I have heard great things about Delano. Looks like they are just under 200 kids/grade. A couple things to consider when going to a school this small, most of the larger, and not even huge but schools with class sizes in the 500 +/- range is the availability of courses, advanced courses at the high school. I looked on the Delano website and they have very limited AP course offerings, fairly good offering of College in the School (CIS) math classes though. They are also on a block schedule, which personally I hate for high school kids, at least the type of block schedule they have.

This will be consistent with any school this size across the area and it matters, especially when it comes to college admissions, and even taking the ACT/SAT tests. Just something to keep in mind.

We have some friends that just moved to Victoria. It's an expensive place to live. What is your budget for a house?

If you aren't adamant on class size being that small, there are a lot more options that will give you everything else you have on that list. Our town, Rosemount, for example, has a great sense of community, the bleachers are packed during high school football games, you run into people you know at the grocery store, everyone follows the various sports teams, marching band, etc. Class sizes are in the 500 range but, your class gets a lot smaller by participating in various activities, etc. Our kids, for example, take pretty much all AP/Honors classes. Because the are also in band, they have pretty much the same 100-150 kids in classes year to year so their class feels like it's about 150 kids.

Towns like Hastings and Lakeville would be other considerations. Both have cute downtown areas, class sizes are closer to 400-450. You will find the bleachers packed at football games, etc. Hastings is more compact and more of a small town feel. Lakeville is very spread out, the land size of Lakeville is huge. Stillwater would have everything on your list, except for class size.

Closer to the metro schools like Irondale High School have class sizes close to 200 but you don't have a "downtown" area there. Great school though. Same with Mahtomedi, great school, lovely area, no real downtown though.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 AM

Orono would fit the bill.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
My partner lived in New Germany for a few years. She nearly died of boredom and isolation.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkado View Post
- good school district with 200 or less students per grade
- lake
- a downtown or community
- less than or around 30 miles from Minneapolis
- kid friendly community
The Mound area meets everything on the list, just 20 miles from Minneapolis.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

oops, double post. going crazy I guess.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Yes Mound is great!! Very Beautiful town.

I know this girl just like you she moved from Vancouver and wanted a small town west of Minneapolis. She was really looking for that small town feel but she moved to Waconia. Got sick of the Suburban development and moved to Mound and she has nothing but good things to say about the town

Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Yes Mound is great!! Very Beautiful town.

I know this girl just like you she moved from Vancouver and wanted a small town west of Minneapolis. She was really looking for that small town feel but she moved to Waconia. Got sick of the Suburban development and moved to Mound and she has nothing but good things to say about the town
Actually, Waconia would be another great place to consider. It isn't even close to "suburban", very small town feel, lovely area on the lake, very, very cool neighborhoods, especially around the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul