Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM

27 posts, read 40,719 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We just learned that we are being transferred to MN in 6 weeks. We have never been to Minneapolis so we have very little to go on. We would love some help. My husband is taking a job in Edina and we have learned, from our online research, that its a nice place to live. We have one small child so we are looking for a safe area to rent in. Preferably, near parks and playgrounds. Is Edina a good, safe place to live? Where else should we consider?

Also, a recommendation for a pediatrician would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
How much do you want to spend on rent? Edina is a nice neighbourhood but can be pricey.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Edina is, generally speaking, a very upscale suburb, though there is a fairly wide range of home prices. There are no unsafe areas in, or for that matter near, Edina. Check Southdale Pediatrics in Edina. There have been some questions raised here about how family friendly the apartments in Edina might be, that they might be more retired folks than kids. Everyone I know with kids in Edina owns a home. If you're into renting, you might want to rent a house instead of an apartment. You can look at the surrounding city and suburbs, but you really don't need to look anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Thank you for the replies! We are hoping to spend $1400-$1800 on rent and because we need a yard for your dog, we are looking for a house. I have looked at a map and see the surrounding areas are places like Eden Prairie, Minnetonka and Bloomington. Are these safe areas as well? I really appreciate the help

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny.denver View Post
Thank you for the replies! We are hoping to spend $1400-$1800 on rent and because we need a yard for your dog, we are looking for a house. I have looked at a map and see the surrounding areas are places like Eden Prairie, Minnetonka and Bloomington. Are these safe areas as well? I really appreciate the help
Those are all safe areas. There are a couple areas in Bloomington that you want to avoid but those are closer to the Mall of America. If you can find something in Edina that would be great. Your budget might be a bit short for Edina but not out of the question.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks again! Is the traffic bad in that part of the city? If my husband were to commute from, lets say, Bloomington to Edina would we need to consider the traffic?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 PM

166 posts, read 391,505 times
Because Bloomington and Edina are adjecent cities and there are easy access to freeeway/highway the drive won't be that bad. 494 can be busy specially during rushhours but you won't be on it for too long. If you choose not to hop on high way 494 there might be secondary roads/alternative route such as Portland ave/66 st.??

Get your self a green t-shirt and you would fit right in with Edina.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Civic, What's with the green t-shirts?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Well Kelly Green is the Edina Hornet's color and team mascot (I went to Edina for HS). We have a child and lived in Edina Towers, a high-rise apartment complex with mostly immigrants and the elderly, with a smattering of recent college grads as well. Sounds like you want a rental house/townhouse with more space, and with the price range you gave me, I think you can find quite a bit. DON'T leave out Minneapolis in your search! HUGE MISTAKE! Minneapolis is not like Cleveland or Philly -- you can not only live in a starter home in Minneapolis, but you can safely take your child(ren) to school in many parts of the city. Besides, the Twin Cities area key charm is its lakes and the "lake culture" that comes with it, and in my opinion, there are no better urban lakes in the country/world than The Chain of Lakes (specifically Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun). Live close to these lakes if you can -- close enough to walk to them if possible! There are quite a few n'hoods in S/SW Minneapolis littered with bungalows that would rent for the price range you offered ($1500 +/-). As long as you are East of Hwy. 100 you're pretty much still in the grid system whether you are in Edina, Bloomington, Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, etc, which makes it easy to forego freeways altogether if they are jam-packed (and they will be!). Traffic in the SW metro is probably the worst in the metro area, but I have no idea what you are accustomed to and "traffic" for us might be a breeze for somebody used to some of the nation's worst traffic. That being said, I-494 can and will be slow-going during rush hours AND most of the daytiime hours between 11 and 7. Once college students and snowbirds return to the city (around late April-May), the traffic gets markedly worse, so watch out. Southdale Peds is where we took our daughter, and we were very happy with them and the services they offered, and I think you will be too!

Hope that helps a bit, and welcome to Twin Cities!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
West336 speaks the truth. Do look in the city of Minneapolis as well. You don't have to entirely avoid the city to be in a low crime area. This area is simply not like some of the places you may be more familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul