Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,202,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
I know metal-studded tires are illegal in MN. My understanding is that removable chains are not actually illegal across the board - and are allowed in certain conditions (untreated roads in rural areas perhaps).
Even if they were legal you hardly ever need them. Just get snow tires (if you have a sports car like a Mustang -- I did) and you can drive in just about any condition....CAREFULLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM

391 posts, read 660,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Even if they were legal you hardly ever need them. Just get snow tires (if you have a sports car like a Mustang -- I did) and you can drive in just about any condition....CAREFULLY!
Yeah I have winter tires for my RWD mini truck. My wife's FWD sedan is fine with all-seasons.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM

285 posts, read 850,885 times
Studded tires actually perform worse than non-studded winter tires in snow, dry and wet roads - but perform much better in icy conditions.

If studded tires are illegal, how do you handle icy conditions? Is sheet ice on the roads not a big concern there? Where I live now, even in the flat parts of the city, sheet ice is a huge problem and no amount of "careful" driving will save you sometimes because stopping even from 15mph is nothing short of impossible.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 AM

391 posts, read 660,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Studded tires actually perform worse than non-studded winter tires in snow, dry and wet roads - but perform much better in icy conditions.

If studded tires are illegal, how do you handle icy conditions? Is sheet ice on the roads not a big concern there? Where I live now, even in the flat parts of the city, sheet ice is a huge problem and no amount of "careful" driving will save you sometimes because stopping even from 15mph is nothing short of impossible.
They plow streets quickly and treat them to prevent ice. In certain conditions when it's really icy (thankfully not as often as you'd think) there's not much to do except go as slow as you can and stay off the brakes. But icy conditions are the worst.

I'm from the west, where they don't treat the roads, so in areas where it's cold enough the skating rink effect is worse than it is here - at least the few years i've been here (granted last winter was uncommonly warm with hardly any snow).

Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Cost of living in those places are quite a bit less then you would find in the metro, they are sizable towns and have all the shopping, restaurants, etc. you would want and they are still an hour from Minneapolis (Duluth 1 1/2 hours) so you can drive in for a baseball game or whatever too.
I'm very scared of how fast you drive if you're making it to Duluth in 1.5 hours...as someone who grew up there (and therefore visits on a semi-regular basis), cruising above the speed limit by 5-7 mph still puts me closer to 2 hours or 2:15 minutes (depends partially on for how long I get out to stretch and such in a place like Hinckley).

As for some of the OP's questions:

Price of a movie ticket can vary, but I've often gone for Southdale as it's one of the closer large movie theaters for where I live in Minneapolis (Rosedale is actually a closer option, but their times always seem to never work out), and I shell out about $9.50 for a movie ticket. It's really nearly extortion (although actually the drink and snack are the real rip-off) and why I go to so few. My favorite place is the St. Anthony Main theater only a few blocks away from my apartment. It only has a few screens, but tickets are dirt cheap, there are student discounts, and it's in a beautiful location on the river across from downtown.

Milk is about $3, though I think it varies by the location you're at. I don't drink a terrible amount of it anymore, so I buy the half-gallon, which is always more expensive for the amount you're getting than the gallon.

Gas varies, but we're sitting in the $3.60s/gallon right now.

Cities like St. Louis Park have a lot of young people who like being close to the city, but perhaps want a bit more land. You could definitely look into living there, or even in parts of southwest Minneapolis (though St. Louis Park might put you even close to the downtown area than parts of SW Minneapolis).

Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I'm very scared of how fast you drive if you're making it to Duluth in 1.5 hours...as someone who grew up there (and therefore visits on a semi-regular basis), cruising above the speed limit by 5-7 mph still puts me closer to 2 hours or 2:15 minutes (depends partially on for how long I get out to stretch and such in a place like Hinckley).

As for some of the OP's questions:

Price of a movie ticket can vary, but I've often gone for Southdale as it's one of the closer large movie theaters for where I live in Minneapolis (Rosedale is actually a closer option, but their times always seem to never work out), and I shell out about $9.50 for a movie ticket. It's really nearly extortion (although actually the drink and snack are the real rip-off) and why I go to so few. My favorite place is the St. Anthony Main theater only a few blocks away from my apartment. It only has a few screens, but tickets are dirt cheap, there are student discounts, and it's in a beautiful location on the river across from downtown.

Milk is about $3, though I think it varies by the location you're at. I don't drink a terrible amount of it anymore, so I buy the half-gallon, which is always more expensive for the amount you're getting than the gallon.

Gas varies, but we're sitting in the $3.60s/gallon right now.

Cities like St. Louis Park have a lot of young people who like being close to the city, but perhaps want a bit more land. You could definitely look into living there, or even in parts of southwest Minneapolis (though St. Louis Park might put you even close to the downtown area than parts of SW Minneapolis).
It's been a while since I've gone to Duluth-I was thinking it was closer...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,046,749 times
How much money do you make? If you are rich enough, live in one of the Lake Minnetonka communities. Suburban, but not cookie cutter. The lake is great. There are restaurants and bars out there. Very unique to Minnesota, and very unique even IN Minnesota. If you aren't rich and don't care about schools, the suburbs are all kind of the same, with the exception of Stillwater.

Not really sure of where you could be with mountains where you are bored and are considering a move to the twin cities to spice things up. IMO there is little in Minneapolis that you can't get in any other metro area in the USA.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Well I am currently in Boise and I greatly miss the lifestyle of a larger city. I'm sure the area has more than 5 restaurants that aren't a national chain (slight exaggeration...) and high-end shopping (which Boise completely lacks), a theme park (nearest is Seattle 8 hours away - Lagoon in Utah doesn't count), etc. If these 3 situations were fixed, I would actually stay in Boise. It is absolutely wonderful, but it's family-oriented planning leaves much to be desired for a couple such as ourselves with no plans to have children.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,046,749 times
Minnesota is very family oriented. While it has much more to do than Boise, I'm not sure it's the right place to relocate if the family-oriented nature of Boise is a big factor in why you wish to escape.

What about a place like Portland? It is about the same price as Minneapolis and has about 10x as many restaurants and places to go out. Not many of which are chains. Or if the rain is too much and you don't like humidity, what about Denver?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Denver seems like a nice option, I Just haven't looked into it too much. I definitely don't mind a family-oriented area, it's just that Boise is so small and that is really the only type here unless you live in the downtown area, but I really can't afford a $1m condo or $800k house that is 100+ years old.

Portland would be incredible, but I love the cold weather and lots of snow (I guess Denver would again be a good option) I don't mind some humidity, I've lived in places where 60% was the norm and I didn't notice it. In my other post, I was mainly trying to get a feel about how it was compared to Florida, but I think you answered that for me. I was very uncomfortable there, but I am sure I could become accustomed to it.

I was just expecting the Twin Cities region to be a mix of portland / seattle with the small town Boise feel which I think would be a nice mellow mix and a good way to enjoy a nice night out while still being able to go home to peace and quiet - am I off track? Would it be just like a much larger Boise?

Sorry for all the questions, you're comments are really helping me and inspiring new thoughts on the move.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul