Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,966 times

Advertisements

living in edina. u of m is too far of a commute. st paul is definitely a no no. i work 10 30 to 7pm. i applied to minnesota state mankato. they have a campus in edina .but they are giving me a rough time. because one of my old schools in delaware refuses to release my transcript. i really dont want that school listed because i fooled around and never went to class. but this school says they must have that transcript no matter what so what other 4 year colleges exist that i can apply to? minnesota state mankato is too much of a headache
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM

110 posts, read 261,657 times
I don't know how much schooling you have had; however, Normandale might be an option for you--if you are still in your first 2 years of schooling and still need to complete some general course work. They have a really good relationship with U of MN, minneapolis and Mankato--so you could attend there--and have an easier time getting into Mankato (edina campus) using that route.

However, keep in mind that its a community college. So, again, it would be based on what coursework you have vs what need for your major. However, coming from Normandale--there would be no need to even mention Delaware (especially, if you did poorly).

P.S. Normandale is in Bloomington--really easy to get to from Edina.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
I don't know how much schooling you have had; however, Normandale might be an option for you--if you are still in your first 2 years of schooling and still need to complete some general course work. They have a really good relationship with U of MN, minneapolis and Mankato--so you could attend there--and have an easier time getting into Mankato (edina campus) using that route.

However, keep in mind that its a community college. So, again, it would be based on what coursework you have vs what need for your major. However, coming from Normandale--there would be no need to even mention Delaware (especially, if you did poorly).

P.S. Normandale is in Bloomington--really easy to get to from Edina.
i did 3 years at hampton university in virginia. they sent my transcripts with no issues. im not sure i would need community college being that i already attended a 4 year

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM

464 posts, read 803,515 times
What kind of degree are you looking to earn?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Why won't they release your transcript? Usually when colleges refuse to release transcripts it's because the person owes them money. I think that's also part of the reason that colleges want to see ALL former transcripts, whether or not the credits will transfer -- they want to make sure that you don't owe another school money. If that's your situation, I think you're stuck.

I don't know what other options you have, really; there aren't any other college campuses right by Edina that I'm aware of (maybe some for-profit colleges, but don't waste your time or money). I know you say the U is too far away, but you still may want to look into other colleges and universities to see what kind of online programs they offer (very common now), or weekend programs (if the distance issue is due to time issues during a M-F work week); I know Augsburg offers weekend classes geared towards adult working adults, for example. Some of the sticker prices for local colleges is high, but financial aid can make it much more reasonable. Augsburg isn't any more convenient than the U, but it would be a a relatively easy drive on the weekend. But ultimately, you may just find that you're stuck with the transcript problem anywhere you apply, in which case (if you can get it straightened out) you can just go to Mankato like you want.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Why won't they release your transcript? Usually when colleges refuse to release transcripts it's because the person owes them money. I think that's also part of the reason that colleges want to see ALL former transcripts, whether or not the credits will transfer -- they want to make sure that you don't owe another school money. If that's your situation, I think you're stuck.

I don't know what other options you have, really; there aren't any other college campuses right by Edina that I'm aware of (maybe some for-profit colleges, but don't waste your time or money). I know you say the U is too far away, but you still may want to look into other colleges and universities to see what kind of online programs they offer (very common now), or weekend programs (if the distance issue is due to time issues during a M-F work week); I know Augsburg offers weekend classes geared towards adult working adults, for example. Some of the sticker prices for local colleges is high, but financial aid can make it much more reasonable. Augsburg isn't any more convenient than the U, but it would be a a relatively easy drive on the weekend. But ultimately, you may just find that you're stuck with the transcript problem anywhere you apply, in which case (if you can get it straightened out) you can just go to Mankato like you want.
yea i owe money. my thing is that i never went to class. i was young and dumb. i dont want to even want to use the school in delaware on my application. i dont even think i have credits from that school since i never actually went to class.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
You could try googling colleges in the Twin Cities. For location, the bias is eastward. St Paul is full of four year colleges. Not so many in Minneapolis. As to westward, I've never heard of one. If you never went to class, I'd not even put it down. I took a class in Portland Oregon that I never put down anywhere.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Metro State University's (my college) motto is something like "for working adults" or something like that. They have a campus in East St. Paul right by me which is very nice, a campus in Midway, and I believe they have a campus in Minneapolis. Their credits are relatively cheap as well comparatively speaking to schools such as the U. They are part of MNSCU as well (SCSU, BSU, MSU, UMD, U of M - here: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...0242f8fe0a60ac ) so you can take some of the workload online from any of the aforementioned schools as well and they will certainly be honored.

And as asked above, what degree or area are you looking to study?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:12 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
I think Metro U is a good option. They have classes scattered all over the metro, meaning you don't have to go to the east side of St Paul for everything. I worked with a woman who kept her fulltime job while doing an MBA there. Not sure about costs. Probably the same as other MNSCU schools. But it is a real school, not like McSchools that seem to pop up everywhere to soak up federal loan money.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Dakota County Technical College, Apple Valley branch on Cedar and 142nd (I think that is the cross street) has cooperating agreements with all of the state school as well as St. Mary's in Winona and maybe a couple others. It would be worth checking with them, and pretty easy to get to from Edina (minus current construction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul