Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,075 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are returning to the Cities in a few weeks, after spending the last several years in central California.

My wife grew up in St. Paul and she's a big fan of the area (especially SAP), but I am not very familiar with many of the neighborhoods and would really appreciate your help!

Here's some info:
- We're in our early 30s and will be looking to start a family soon.
- She's working in the Capitol Building area, I'll be working in the center of Edina (Hwys 494 & 100)
- Budget for house is $250 - $300k, and we'd like 3+ bedrooms (4 would be great).
- Looking for a fairly progressive/liberal neighborhood.
- We like being able to walk to a cute 'downtown' area with non-chain shops, like Grand Ave, 50th & France, etc

Some of the candidates that we've been thinking of are:
- Saint Anthony Park & Summit/Cathedral Hill > nothing available that fits our budget...
- Summit & Mac-Groveland
- Highland
- The area around Lake Como - is the West side better, or the East side?
- West Seventh or Dayton's Bluff near Indian Mounds Park - I've never visited these areas though
- Linden Hills/Fulton/Lynnhurst

Thanks so much for your advice!
EBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serow225 View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are returning to the Cities in a few weeks, after spending the last several years in central California.

My wife grew up in St. Paul and she's a big fan of the area (especially SAP), but I am not very familiar with many of the neighborhoods and would really appreciate your help!

Here's some info:
- We're in our early 30s and will be looking to start a family soon.
- She's working in the Capitol Building area, I'll be working in the center of Edina (Hwys 494 & 100)
- Budget for house is $250 - $300k, and we'd like 3+ bedrooms (4 would be great).
- Looking for a fairly progressive/liberal neighborhood.
- We like being able to walk to a cute 'downtown' area with non-chain shops, like Grand Ave, 50th & France, etc

Some of the candidates that we've been thinking of are:
- Saint Anthony Park & Summit/Cathedral Hill > nothing available that fits our budget...
- Summit & Mac-Groveland
- Highland
- The area around Lake Como - is the West side better, or the East side?
- West Seventh or Dayton's Bluff near Indian Mounds Park - I've never visited these areas though
- Linden Hills/Fulton/Lynnhurst

Thanks so much for your advice!
EBS
Others on here are more knowledgeable about St. Paul, but I'll thow in a couple comments. I've got relatives who live in the Dayton's Bluff area, and I wouldn't place that too high on your list. Occasional nice looking houses up there, and the park is cool, but there are some crime issues and in general that area seems kind of run down.

The West side of Como is definitely better. Its a really cool little neighborhood basically between Lake Como and the state Fairgrounds, but you will run into some price issues there, as well, although there should be a couple in your range. Just north of Lake Como is a little cheaper, and seems alright to me, so I'll be curious what others say about that.

Mac-Groveland is frequently mentioned here as a good, reasonably priced area in St. Paul.

You might also look up around St. Anthony Village, around Stinson Blvd and Silver Lake Rd. Seems like a pretty nice area when I've driven through, and gives some more options in your price range.

4 bedrooms will be challenging anywhere you are looking, but 3-bed plus a basement shouldn't be hard, and in some cases, you might be able to bring that up to code for a 4th bedroom.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Might also want to add somewhere like 48th and Chicago to the mix; it's a nice neighborhood commercial node in south Minneapolis. It's more affordable over there than a neighborhood like Linden Hills, too. (we sometimes go to Sovereign Grounds in the winter for its indoor "playground"). Very family-friendly.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
It's no secret I'm a huge proponent of Highland as it has just about everything within walking distance as well as easy access to Minneapolis or downtown St Paul. It's also quite family-friendly.

If you do a quick search on Zillow.com for the various neighbourhoods that you're interested in I think you will find some very interesting prospects.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,075 times
Thanks everyone, good info so far!

I'll take a look at those locations and see what comes up. Saint Anthony Village might be a little far for our work commutes, actually Highland might be a good option in terms of splitting the two commutes evenly...

Keep on coming with any more suggestions! Any other options in Minneapolis come to mind, maybe the South side East of 35W? I feel like I know a lot less about Minneapolis than I do about St Paul.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Seward/Longfellow is quite progressive and has a number of non-local shops but I don't know if I would describe it as 'cute'. It has everything within a few miles (groceries, parks, bike paths, good restaurants).

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Something else to consider is to not split your commutes evenly and just have one person commute. When the kids come along it will be very nice to have someone close to the day care center for when the kids get sick and just general drop off and pick up situations. If one of you is 5 minutes or less from work/daycare, that saves money in day care costs, car upkeep and it's just more convenient. As the kids get older and they are in school, that allows one of you to run over quick for a school program, meet with a teacher, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul