Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM

252 posts, read 591,219 times

Advertisements

In lower-income neighborhoods, the propensity to mismanage rental properties after a catastrophic loss is much higher than in "nice" neighborhoods. For example, look at how many old houses are still tornado damaged on the North Side. I saw the same thing when I volunteered with the City Attorney Housing Department in New Orleans a few years ago. Believe it or not, there are still houses in New Orleans that are in disrepair because of Katrina - just not on the nice side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Another reason to keep rentals to whatever minimum is possible. Absentee owners haven't the neighborhood commitment to rebuild.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM

237 posts, read 440,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk5584 View Post
I did notice the damage, that is so unfortunate. I appreciate the truth as well. Do you see the reconstruction of the neighborhood in the future? As far as home values and community. Also, how is the activity around there as far as crimes and such? Would we feel safe walking to our cars?

Thanks
Since I don't live on this specific block I could not tell you the details( I think CamdenNorthsider and others would be better suited.) There have been over 19 shootings this year over North, so expect to hear gunfire at one point or another...Personally I am used to high instances of gun violence and other crimes of that nature because this is where I'm from. As for reconstruction yeah rehabber (including me) are snatching up homes here like hot cakes so yeah its steady coming back, but you have to be aware of your surroundings. I really don't think this would be the right neighborhood for you.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM

51 posts, read 201,998 times
You can't just throw around indiscriminate comments like "there have been over 19 shootings" like that. North is huge (9 square miles), and most of the crazy stuff happens along West Broadway, or up in the 20s and 30s (certain parts of the Jordan and McKinley neighborhoods are the hot spots du jour). What you may feel about your neighborhood is light years away from how most of us in Willard-Hay feel. I go running in my neighborhood at any time of the day or night and do not fear for my safety.

bk58584: Crime in north Minneapolis is highly localized; thugs don't range all that far from where they are staying. I don't say 'where they're living' because they often bounce around from place to place -- to the home of whoever can put them up for a while -- and their crime follows them. Willard-Hay has a much higher home ownership rate than Near-North (the previous poster's neighborhood) despite being mere blocks apart, and therefore there are fewer highly transitory residents. Thus, those few blocks' difference might as well be a few miles.

Those blocks closest to the Parkway are the "gold coast" of north Minneapolis.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Another reason to keep rentals to whatever minimum is possible. Absentee owners haven't the neighborhood commitment to rebuild.
No, you just need to enforce codes and ordinances. Fines and tax liens will make absentee owners pay attention reeaaaal quick.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr1973 View Post
You can't just throw around indiscriminate comments like "there have been over 19 shootings" like that. North is huge (9 square miles), and most of the crazy stuff happens along West Broadway, or up in the 20s and 30s (certain parts of the Jordan and McKinley neighborhoods are the hot spots du jour).
Agreed. There have been numerous shootings within blocks of where I live in Warehouse District but they happen in and around nightclubs at 2-4 am among people with personal beefs with each other. I have never heard one and I have never felt remotely in danger walking around.

North Minneapolis is huge with many nice parts and some worse ones. There are plenty of shootings in South Minneapolis too but again, in specific areas, and you don't see people fearing to live around the Chain of Lakes because of it.

You should really check police reports for the specific area as well as visiting it at different times of day to see how you feel about it rather than listening to people here unless they have experience with that specific block or very near to it.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
No, you just need to enforce codes and ordinances. Fines and tax liens will make absentee owners pay attention reeaaaal quick.
Which codes and ordinances require rebuilding except to rent again? A property holder can hold onto the property if they pay the taxes. There's at least one property in my neighborhood that has been empty for over a couple decades.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

237 posts, read 440,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr1973 View Post
You can't just throw around indiscriminate comments like "there have been over 19 shootings" like that. North is huge (9 square miles), and most of the crazy stuff happens along West Broadway, or up in the 20s and 30s (certain parts of the Jordan and McKinley neighborhoods are the hot spots du jour). What you may feel about your neighborhood is light years away from how most of us in Willard-Hay feel. I go running in my neighborhood at any time of the day or night and do not fear for my safety.

Those blocks closest to the Parkway are the "gold coast" of north Minneapolis.
I live on your Eastern border so I speak with proficiency. Of course the western edge of the neighborhood is beautiful, and much more affluent. But the Eastern Willard Hay is light years away from that reality, (burned up houses, blocks that are missing like 60% of the housing stock, dope dealers posted on the corners, and other fun stuff of that nature.) I just want the OP to be aware and not bite off more than they can chew... and still I pray to God that all that I've said becomes irrelevant and a thing of the past but as of today its very much real.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM

192 posts, read 451,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Well said!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Which codes and ordinances require rebuilding except to rent again? A property holder can hold onto the property if they pay the taxes. There's at least one property in my neighborhood that has been empty for over a couple decades.
Sorry, I thought we were talking about properties that were being rented out. So you're referring to ones that aren't occupied, but in disrepair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul