Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are looking to move into the Willard Hay neighborhood. In-between Plymouth Ave and Golden Valley Rd and just two blocks east of Theodore Wirth Pkwy (or xerxes).

I am skeptical of the area. I have read a lot of great reviews but they are all from 2010. If anyone could give me an update of that specific area and where it stands currently that would be MUCH appreciated. I would like very much to live in this beautiful home for the price. I can't get over the woodwork inside! However, safety of my soon to be fiance is important to me.

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM

51 posts, read 201,936 times
There's no need to be skeptical. You'd be amazed how normal and nondescript the lives of most north Minneapolis residents really are. In general, that area is just fine. I can zero in with better details if you provide an intersection or address.

I've owned my home near 12th & Russell, nine houses south of Plymouth Avenue, for about five years. The general area you describe is very similar to the Homewood neighborhood where I live.

For the most part, that area is beautiful and safe. What crime there is is generally criminals preying on other criminals. Occasionally there are a string of burglaries (and by occasionally I mean every few years). That said, I do not define my life in terms of crime statistics. I do not fear for my own safety or that of my wife. Kids play in their yards here or in the neighborhood parks. When you read the blotter, you hear about people getting robbed of ridiculous amounts of cash they're carrying...and their EBT (welfare) debit card. It's thugs and drug dealers getting bitten by karma.

What do I see around me? Stuff that doesn't show up in Census information or the public consciousness, that's what.

The "view from the ground" is that tons of young (under-45), educated professionals/couples are moving in left and right and getting crazy deals on well-built houses. Every summer, we're meeting more and more new faces at backyard bonfires and cookouts and other impromptu gatherings. A few years from now, people will be kicking themselves for not getting into NoMi when it was inexpensive to do so.

Security in NoMi is common sense -- most people just put in a security system (or get a dog). Be diligent about locking the front door when you're in the back yard, and close the garage door when you're working in the front yard. Have long-throw deadbolt locks with extra-long security screws going into the jamb. "Pin" your open windows so they cannot be opened wide enough to permit entry.

You quickly gain an appreciation for who does and doesn't belong because you actually get to know your neighbors casually and through block club meetings. We call 911 on anything/anyone that is out of the ordinary, and we know our neighbors are watching out for us and our home just as we do for them.

What else would you like to know?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM

12 posts, read 21,974 times
The area you're talking about is lovely. I've lived just directly North of Lowry all my life so I'm in the Cleveland neighbord (also a nice place), but I love visiting Willard. That park is where a lot of people jog and bike, and the houses are mostly nice. I go pretend house shopping a lot there. The part of Willard that was hit by the infamous tornado was mostly park (you may notice the bare spots still). East of Fremont, which got hit by the tornado a little more in the housing sense, is an area to be careful in at the moment but that's an entirely different neighborhood and only pockets are troublesome. They were actually on the rise until that thing hit (took out a really nice coffee shop too).

Willard is also pretty connected to the drive and Victory neighborhood which is considered one of the nicer areas in North Minneapolis. All in all it's a nice bunching of good areas right there. Most people are very involved in neighborhood watches or the block parties.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
I've been looking for houses to purchase in Minneapolis and have had a couple potential places pop up in the willard-hay area. I was wondering if the conditions of the neighborhood are still the same as when people commented on this a year ago.

I'm a 25 year old male that would be living with 2 other guys my age. From what I've seen on google maps the area and houses look clean. I was just wondering if anyone had a take on the crime in the area?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM

413 posts, read 763,528 times
I had a friend who lived on Vincent. No major issues, but a fair amount of property crime. A number of cars were stolen on his street, but nothing violent. I wouldn't go too far to the east though, as it will get worse.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM

91 posts, read 268,889 times
Willard-Hay is a good size neighborhood so it depends on where you are. I am close to the parkway and the area is a normal neighborhood. While the crime does go up as you head toward Penn, I have a friend who moved over there and they are very happy. They are 3 women living together. I would recommend walking around and talking to the neighbors. Most of the people I talked with when we were looking were very upfront about if there were any problem houses in the neighborhood. Property crime is overall an issue in the area but some common sense and basic precautions will greatly minimize your risk. If you have specific houses you like you can also ask MPD about if it is near any spots with more issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul