Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,250 times

Advertisements

Great Places in America

Quote:
APA's flagship program celebrates places of exemplary character, quality, and planning. Places are selected annually and represent the gold standard in terms of having a true sense of place, cultural and historical interest, community involvement, and a vision for tomorrow.

APA Great Places offer better choices for where and how people work and live. They are enjoyable, safe, and desirable. They are places where people want to be — not only to visit, but to live and work every day. America's truly great streets, neighborhoods and public spaces are defined by many criteria, including architectural features, accessibility, functionality, and community involvement.

Quote:
Reminiscent of a sleepy rural hamlet but with decidedly more urbane architecture and scenic vistas, Kenwood Addition is both engaging and engaged. Its residents have a deep appreciation of their neighborhood's history and assets and just as strong a desire to honor and protect them.

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

Discuss. Is Kenwood deserving of one of the top 30 places, yay or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times
Kenwood is pretty nice. I'd say it's the best residential neighborhood in Minneapolis. It's a lot different than some of the others on the neighborhood list, though. It's almost completely residential and very small. In contrast, SF Chinatown is a very dense, urban commercial area with 100K people, compared to Kenwood's 1000.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM

127 posts, read 213,897 times
I'm sure someone on this site will find kenwood "seedy"

Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Kenwood is pretty nice. I'd say it's the best residential neighborhood in Minneapolis. It's a lot different than some of the others on the neighborhood list, though. It's almost completely residential and very small. In contrast, SF Chinatown is a very dense, urban commercial area with 100K people, compared to Kenwood's 1000.
Does anyone think that Linden Hills deserves mention there, too. The neighborhood is along both Lakes Calhoun and Harriett. There is the Harriett Bandshell Concert series in the summer. I think the stores and restaurants are more numerous and better. Kenwood has more impressive homes/mansions, though. I think the architecture criteria is high on this particular list (perhaps the only criteria in fact). If other factors were included, I could see Linden Hills being mentioned. Is anyone surprised by Mason City, Iowa's inclusion? I certainly was.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Great Places in America

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

Discuss. Is Kenwood deserving of one of the top 30 places, yay or nay?
Yes, I can agree with top 30 for the Kenwood neighborhood. If it were top 10, I would say no.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM

140 posts, read 218,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
Give me a break. You think I really would think Kenwood is "seedy"? Kenwood is a world away from the commercial and rental centers south of it. What's charming about these areas is that they are so close and yet so away.

But I would vote for Linden Hills.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
Aww come on just tell us who you're referring to.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
"Its residents have a deep appreciation of their neighborhood's history and assets and just as strong a desire to honor and protect them."

That's an understatement, considering their involvement lately with the Southwest Corridor alignment!!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Does anyone think that Linden Hills deserves mention there, too. The neighborhood is along both Lakes Calhoun and Harriett. There is the Harriett Bandshell Concert series in the summer. I think the stores and restaurants are more numerous and better. Kenwood has more impressive homes/mansions, though. I think the architecture criteria is high on this particular list (perhaps the only criteria in fact). If other factors were included, I could see Linden Hills being mentioned. Is anyone surprised by Mason City, Iowa's inclusion? I certainly was.
I don't even know why Kenwood was mentioned, as I don't know it as anything other than a fairly secluded nabe with little in the way of retail or destinations, but I would probably vote Linden Hills myself if I had to choose a Minneapolis neighborhood. It's what *most* **White** Americans over the age of 30 with or without children seeking a compromise between urban living and suburban standards would prefer!

*don't take that word too literally!
**based solely on its current demographics, not the wants/desires of all people

Old 12-19-2013, 11:58 AM

127 posts, read 213,897 times
From a walkable perspective, I would say Kenwood is pretty isolated to the west and northwest of lake of the Isles. East isles and Lowry hill are two really, really nice neighborhoods with many of the same types of houses as Kenwood (i.e. mansions), they are next to lake and have similar demographics. However, in East Isles (and even Lowry Hill), one can walk to everything, including grocery stores, restaurants and the seedy parts of Uptown.

Linden Hills is fantastic.....but I also find this to be limiting with really only one business node.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul