Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
Right on. I actually posted some nice things about Minnesota too. Minnesotans have very selective information retention skills. It's a survival mechanism.
All generalizations are false. Even when made by folks who hate Minnesota.

You did post some nice things, to be fair. Then again, I'm not ragging on you. Everyone has an opinion, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM

77 posts, read 94,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
All generalizations are false. Even when made by folks who hate Minnesota.

You did post some nice things, to be fair. Then again, I'm not ragging on you. Everyone has an opinion, etc.
I respect that.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:10 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:

Anyway. I like the 80 degree weather in the sun belt. I think I'll stay here for a while. SF was at the top of my list. Very nice place and excellent culture, but I turned down a job there for an even higher paying job in TX. I'll stay in Clear Lake for the time being. Peace out homies.
Lol on SF having an excellent culture. If you like NIMBYism and chaotic liberals, then SF is your place.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
The Lakers and the North Stars.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Lol on SF having an excellent culture. If you like NIMBYism and chaotic liberals, then SF is your place.
Point well considered. I feel that SF indeed has an excellent culture. Never mind the chaos and that overwhelming odor of urine. I have never had a dull moment in SF, and I keep finding reasons to go back at least twice a year. The IT industry is obviously thriving there and I've always experienced something interesting. I'm not sure I would raise my family there (perhaps in Marin County). Perhaps, I'd relocate to SF for a year if the right opportunity came along. Not sure I would want to retire there though.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Point well considered. I feel that SF indeed has an excellent culture. Never mind the chaos and that overwhelming odor of urine. I have never had a dull moment in SF, and I keep finding reasons to go back at least twice a year. The IT industry is obviously thriving there and I've always experienced something interesting. I'm not sure I would raise my family there (perhaps in Marin County). Perhaps, I'd relocate to SF for a year if the right opportunity came along. Not sure I would want to retire there though.
I disagree. I find SF to be too chaotic for me but I guess if you like that, be my guest. Just live here in the Bay for a year and you will understand why I dislike SF.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
I lived in SF for 8 years, east bay for 1 and santa cruz for 1.

I personally don't think SF really has a coherent culture. It can seem very chaotic, but large parts of it are pretty slow and laid back. However it has neighborhoods that are "gay", "chinese", "psycho", "yuppie", etc. I don't really feel like there's an overall culture that ties together The Castro and The Marina, for instance. Other cities in the area have more of an overall distinct vibe, like Berkeley, Palo Alto or Menlo Park.

The twin cities, on he other hand, do have a very dominant repressed-scandinavian-moderate-suburban-liberal culture that permeates everything.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
The twin cities, on he other hand, do have a very dominant repressed-scandinavian-moderate-suburban-liberal culture that permeates everything.
THIS.

I have family in Norway and Finland. I go back to visit every August. The Minnesota "culture" is a bastardized version of Scandinavian culture. I would say that Minnesota's culture takes all of the bad from Scandinavian culture and none of the good. True Scandinavian culture is very event oriented. Over the years, Scandinavians have truly modernized their traditions. Minnesota is the opposite and it is Americanized in all the wrong ways. My wife and I competed in the annual Wife Carrying Competition in Finland last year, and spent the summer attending the hundreds of other festivals and festivities Scandinavia celebrates. There's none of that in MN. There's maybe the Taste of Minnesota...in Waconia. That's about it. Minnesota is a totally repressed too-scared-to-offend culture. Again, it seems very xenophobic and straight up anti-social unless you are a college student that frequents Uptown, Block E or Nordeast (for now).

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
I disagree. I find SF to be too chaotic for me but I guess if you like that, be my guest. Just live here in the Bay for a year and you will understand why I dislike SF.
You might be right. 1 year of living in SF is now officially on the bucket list.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
THIS.

I have family in Norway and Finland. I go back to visit every August. The Minnesota "culture" is a bastardized version of Scandinavian culture. I would say that Minnesota's culture takes all of the bad from Scandinavian culture and none of the good. True Scandinavian culture is very event oriented. Over the years, Scandinavians have truly modernized their traditions. Minnesota is the opposite and it is Americanized in all the wrong ways. My wife and I competed in the annual Wife Carrying Competition in Finland last year, and spent the summer attending the hundreds of other festivals and festivities Scandinavia celebrates. There's none of that in MN. There's maybe the Taste of Minnesota...in Waconia. That's about it. Minnesota is a totally repressed too-scared-to-offend culture. Again, it seems very xenophobic and straight up anti-social unless you are a college student that frequents Uptown, Block E or Nordeast (for now).
actually maybe the scandinavian background you come from is worse than simply being from MN itself. I think being in the middle of it can amplify the negative aspects of the culture.

My family is very MN scandinavian and I find it to be a very repressive and negative culture.

look up "law of jante" or nevermind... here's the link

Law of Jante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're not to think you are anything special.
You're not to think you are as good as we are.
You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are.
You're not to think you know more than we do.
You're not to think you are more important than we are.
You're not to think you are good at anything.
You're not to laugh at us.
You're not to think anyone cares about you.
You're not to think you can teach us anything.

This basically describes how my whole family thinks. It was a real eye opener when my Danish friend told me about this. For all the positive press Denmark gets about it being the best place to live, he actually cant stand it and feels the local culture is very bad for those who are living slightly outside of the box, like entrepreneurs. He's been living in California for years.

That said, I have a friend who grew up in Minnesota who is Lebanese. His family are entrepreneurs and he also owns a couple businesses in Uptown. He and his family don't seem to have any of these Janteloven negative scandinavian traits. Maybe it's a completely different state if you are not knee deep in the scandinavian-minnesotan culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul