Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, I am 23, but look like I'm 15. I take walks outside every night (which I love to do) and I am constantly harassed by police. They ask me how old I am and I say I'm 23. Then they ask for my ID and the only ID I have on is my high school ID (from when I went to high school). Last week I had to stand out in the rain for 45 minutes because I didn't have a valid ID (a high school ID is not "valid"). I am in Ramsey county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
I thought we were required by law to carry our IDs at all times because of the Real ID act. I know Minnesota is not Real ID compliant yet, but it's still a federal law.

I'm not saying there's anything right about that law, but it's on the books and federal enforcement went into effect in 2011.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
So, go to the local driver's license station, get a State ID, problem solved.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Get an ID!

How do you do your banking? Buy a bottle of wine? Verify your credit card purchases?

I've only had to show ID to a police officer once (got pulled over when someone reported me as a potential drunk driver once when I swerved to avoid an animal in the road). But even without police contact, I would estimate that I am asked to show my ID at least 1-3 times a week.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,435 times
Why would you still carry a high school ID after all these years? Go get a real one.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
I got stopped for curfew in St Paul when I was 25. I was walking to Rainbow at 2 in the morning and had forgotten my ID. I didn't realize he was stopping me for curfew. When he threatened to take me to the curfew center I looked at him, told him I was 25 and stared at him for a second with what had to have been a confused look. Until then I had no idea St Paul had a curfew, they were less common back then and the town I grew up in didn't have one. He let me go but it would have been funny if they had taken me in and called my parents to come pick me up (from upstate NY). My mom would have given them an earful.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:55 AM

327 posts, read 526,600 times
I, too, don't understand why you are posting... are you looking for commiseration? If as you say, the harassment centers around your apparent age and walking around late at night without ID, then as a high school graduate, I would expect you to be able to realize which variables you can change to get something different.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I thought we were required by law to carry our IDs at all times because of the Real ID act. I know Minnesota is not Real ID compliant yet, but it's still a federal law.

I'm not saying there's anything right about that law, but it's on the books and federal enforcement went into effect in 2011.
Real ID has to do with standards for state issued drivers licenses and ID cards. No one is required to carry and ID unless they are driving or a passenger on a commercial airliner.

If can vote without showing ID he can certainly take a walk without an ID.

As to being made to stand in the rain for 45 minutes by the cops, next time ask the police, "Officer, are you detaining me?" If he says yes, then he or she will need probable and reasonable cause to do so, but he or she will not need to tell you that. If he or she says no, then leave immediately and do not answer any other questions.

Because of the 4th Amendment we are not required to show our papers to the authorities.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Real ID has to do with standards for state issued drivers licenses and ID cards. No one is required to carry and ID unless they are driving or a passenger on a commercial airliner.

As to being made to stand in the rain for 45 minutes by the cops, next time ask the police, "Officer, are you detaining me?" If he says yes, then he or she will need probable and reasonable cause to do so, but he or she will not need to tell you that. If he or she says no, then leave immediately and do not answer any other questions.

Because of the 4th Amendment we are not required to show our papers to the authorities.
What he said... you were most likely "voluntarily" standing out in the rain for 45 minutes, even if it didn't feel voluntary.

Am I being detained? Am I free to go?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

Exactly,

The police have a right to enact what is known as a Terry Stop (named after a US Supreme Court decision). However, they need "reasonable suspicion" that you are involved in criminal activity. I imagine that curfew violation would be deemed to fall under that reasonable suspicion guideline.

Some states do require a pedestrian to produce an ID, and The US Supreme Court has never ruled definitively on the matter. Fortunately, Minnesota is not one of those states.

Given that the police are likely within their rights to suspect that you are violating the law (by virtue of being out after curfew), your best solution is to obtain a state issued ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul