Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
There are already multiple restaurants open in the Twin Cities.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
By multiple you mean two right? I looked it up and saw that but they are new right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I understand the point you are trying to make but you are off target on this one. Even if they were comaprable entities, the opponents of the mosque wanted them to relocate several blocks further north while the OP wants to prohibit CFA from opening anywhere, at least in Minnesota. Apples and oranges.

Still I get your larger point that those who supported boycotts from one side of the political spectrum should not protest when they come from the other side. In that way, I thought the JCPenney illustration was stronger.
I have already stated that I feel people should vote with their feet, but a few on here were pointing out the intolerance of liberals because some object to Chick-fil-a going to MSP. I was just showing it goes both ways. And so I was asking why should the mosque have to move at all?

You have to admit, it the founder of Chick-fil-a was giving money to the KKK there wouldn't be so many folks welcoming them to their community.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
While I also disagree with the owner's anti gay rights stand, the First Amendment gives him the right to his opinion. The owner has been losing the gay marriage rights debate, anyways, as more states pass it every few months. BTW, progressives are not the only people with free speech rights.

You do have the right to organize a boycott of that business if you choose, but you do not have the right to decide whether they can start a business and establish some "thought control" litmus test for new businesses in Minneapolis or elsewhere. That sounds like it could be very Orwellian/Big Brother. It can also be used against the left, so be careful for what you wish.

If they have friendly and well mannered employees compared to most other fast food places, they should be welcomed.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
While I also disagree with the owner's anti gay rights stand, the First Amendment gives him the right to his opinion. The owner has been losing the gay marriage rights debate, anyways, as more states pass it every few months. BTW, progressives are not the only people with free speech rights.

You do have the right to organize a boycott of that business if you choose, but you do not have the right to decide whether they can start a business and establish some "thought control" litmus test for new businesses in Minneapolis or elsewhere. That sounds like it could be very Orwellian/Big Brother. It can also be used against the left, so be careful for what you wish.

If they have friendly and well mannered employees compared to most other fast food places, they should be welcomed.
The ones here in Tulsa has a sign in the front windows that say "No Nasty Gays!" LOL just kidding.

I noticed that we have a few new chicken restaurants here in Tulsa called "Raising Canes" I have tried it out and really like them. Like I say, I vote with my feet and wallet.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Rubbish.

Plenty of companies have changed their practices as a result of public protest. In fact, few companies have changed them for any other reason. Just this weekend, Whole Foods, facing a large-scale protest from its own employees, agreed not to penalize workers who took Thanksgiving off. Individual acts, like refusing to patronize a given business, accomplish nothing.

We need to remind our "Christian" fellow-citizens that this is not a theocracy. They don't get permission to spread hate or practice discrimination because their filthy, good-for-nothing religion says it's okay.
Yeah diversity!

Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4u2014 View Post
Some cities like Chicago for instance have tried to block efforts opening chik fil a. As the president of chik fil a is against gay marriage and has donated money( around 20 million) to anti groups as well as Uganda's kill the gays bill. Minneapolis Is a progressive cities overall and we don't need businesses like this building here. I was reading some reviews on yelp and there are some anti gay bigots that enjoy their food and will go there. However as a progressive city they should not be building franchises here.
I don't agree with Chick-Fil-A's CEO. That said it's him as a private citizen, in a non-company role. I'm all for gay people boycotting Chick-Fil-A, that's how things should be done. That's how Liberals create change. Sadly Liberals are a dying breed, replaced by people who'd rather get the Government to ban others from owning the business in the first place depending on their religious/cultural beliefs & that's Progressive! Free Speech? Religious Freedom? Diversity of Thought?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Actually, it seems that Chick-Fil-A does have business in Minnesota.

They have several locations within the state.

Minnesota Chick-fil-A Restaurants | MN Chicken Sandwich Restaurants

Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4u2014 View Post
Minneapolis Is a progressive cities overall and we don't need businesses like this building here. I was reading some reviews on yelp and there are some anti gay bigots that enjoy their food and will go there. However as a progressive city they should not be building franchises here.
"We don't agree with your political view, therefore you cannot open a store in my city! oh and did i mention we are a progressive town?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually, it seems that Chick-Fil-A does have business in Minnesota.

They have several locations within the state.

Minnesota Chick-fil-A Restaurants | MN Chicken Sandwich Restaurants
Yup 4 of those are brand new

Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Coming from someone gay: A business has a right to do business wherever they want as long as they are not violating any laws. People also have a right not to eat at said business. Also, a lot of what you are saying is taken out of context.

Also, that chicken is f***ing delicious!

These drag queens think so too...

Chow Down (at Chick-fil-A) - YouTube

Old 11-29-2013, 11:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
That was funny...^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul