Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

Owning or renting? North Oaks is worth looking into if you can afford it. It's an upscale small private city in the woods with mostly larger lots. Prices maybe on the low end 300k-multi million dollar mansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
You must have driven on a bad day, because the average distance between the towns is about 35 miles (but obviously as you say that will depend on the precise location one is traveling from and to). In my experience, it certainly does not take an hour to an hour and a half to commute between these areas. I've driven through that vicinity many times, and most days I can make it in about a half hour to 35 minutes.
I am no expert on traffic in the north suburbs but in Woodbury the 694/494 - 94 Interchange is getting worse and worse every day it seems, even in the middle of the day there is backups.

I hope they do something to that interchange asap.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am no expert on traffic in the north suburbs but in Woodbury the 694/494 - 94 Interchange is getting worse and worse every day it seems, even in the middle of the day there is backups.

I hope they do something to that interchange asap.
I suspect that the 494/94 interchange is getting hit right now because of 52 shut down and 35E construction, both pushing more of the N/S traffic out to 494/694.

That said, before the those projects, the 494/94 interchange was not handling the amount of rush traffic. Par the the course for Minnesota ... design roads for the traffic levels of the '70s, maintain them with the budget of the '60s. It will only get worse as the seven-county metro is expected to add 25% in the coming two decades and at least a few of them will be driving, continuing to add cars to the roads.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I suspect that the 494/94 interchange is getting hit right now because of 52 shut down and 35E construction, both pushing more of the N/S traffic out to 494/694.

That said, before the those projects, the 494/94 interchange was not handling the amount of rush traffic. Par the the course for Minnesota ... design roads for the traffic levels of the '70s, maintain them with the budget of the '60s. It will only get worse as the seven-county metro is expected to add 25% in the coming two decades and at least a few of them will be driving, continuing to add cars to the roads.
Probably... but even the east to west traffic is getting bad, going westbound on I-94 and you want to go south and 494 there is always going to be a back up...
these clover leaf interchanges are pretty inefficient but i believe they are more safe for winter, it would be very scary to lose control on a california or texas style overpass.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM

17 posts, read 28,036 times
We probably will rent for awhile to see if we like the area or not. My husband is involved in non-profit work, so he will likely be in St Paul, but possibly MSP. We do not have kids yet, but plan on starting a family soon.

When we buy, which will probably be in 6 mo to 1 year, our budget would be $450,000-$550,000.

We really want to live somewhere with nice cozy neighborhoods, close to a lake, with bike trails, parks, and that is quiet. We would like a decent sized yard and a newer home (2009 and newer). We would also like to have some trees around. We live in Fargo now, so we miss the trees!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki51480 View Post
We probably will rent for awhile to see if we like the area or not. My husband is involved in non-profit work, so he will likely be in St Paul, but possibly MSP. We do not have kids yet, but plan on starting a family soon.

When we buy, which will probably be in 6 mo to 1 year, our budget would be $450,000-$550,000.

We really want to live somewhere with nice cozy neighborhoods, close to a lake, with bike trails, parks, and that is quiet. We would like a decent sized yard and a newer home (2009 and newer). We would also like to have some trees around. We live in Fargo now, so we miss the trees!
Sounds like Woodbury would be perfect, and with that price range you could easily live on the eastern side of town (the better side)

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Probably... but even the east to west traffic is getting bad, going westbound on I-94 and you want to go south and 494 there is always going to be a back up...
these clover leaf interchanges are pretty inefficient but i believe they are more safe for winter, it would be very scary to lose control on a california or texas style overpass.
Oh yeah, the East-West/West-East section backs up many rush hours that I am on it. I drive into Mpls daily from eastern Woodbury and try to avoid as much of 94 as I can as it is quicker and less stressful to take Bailey or Valley Creek to 61 and head up to 94 or head on up to 10th north of 94 and take it to 694. More lanes and proper entrance lanes lasting loner than 100 yards are what are needed.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:

For rental, you might want to look around Carver Lake in eastern Woodbury. Lots of newer townhouses there, wooded, hilly, bike trails and Carver Lake Park. Also, it is on the western side of Woodbury so it has quick access to 494 and 61 - you can be in downtown STP in ten or fifteen minutes on 61 to Warner Road. The other part of your commute is still a trek, but this area is right by 494.

Still, that drive to Coon Rapids ....

Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM

17 posts, read 28,036 times
What about White Bear Lake or Mahtomedi? Do you think those would have a long commute to Coon Rapids?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM

357 posts, read 444,333 times
Quote:
What about White Bear Lake or Mahtomedi? Do you think those would have a long commute to Coon Rapids?
You want to avoid westbound 694 in the morning and eastbound 694 in the afternoon so any commute from an eastern suburb, including WBL and Mahtomedi, along with Woodbury, etc. to Coon Rapids would be slow. Also, the traffic from WBL or Mahtomedi to St. Paul for your husband would be heavy.

That's why I suggested something in St. Paul which would be a reverse commute on 35W. You'd still hit heavy traffic as you got close to Coon Rapids, but you would miss most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul