Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 PM

8 posts, read 47,379 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move to Minneapolis from Orange County California. In short I'm burned out on Southern California. I want to experience the 4 seasons again(I'm a New Mexico transplant...yes it does snow in New Mexico lol) . It's bothering me that I'm making $2.50 above minimum wage and still living with my mother in California. Try $900 minimum a month to rent a crappy studio...ok I'm ranting.
I know there is no way on earth that I can ever get the grasp of a real minnesota winter until I experience it. I've done some research but I need some input on 2 honest questions that i have.
1. I don't drive. Somehow I've managed to survive in Southern California without a car....I have a map of Neighborhoods in Minneapolis. I'm wondering which Neighborhoods are public transit friendly to downtown areas with actual work and are middle class areas.
2. I understand Minnesota is pretty ethnically diverse but as most cities in the east-midwest they may be somewhat segregated. I am a mexican-american who's native language is English. I'm only 20% fluent in Spanish. I'm wondering if there are some areas/neighborhoods in Minneapolis where i will just not be welcome and should stay out of? Areas where Latin people are just plain not welcome? I blend in pretty well (I live in a predominately white area) Is there any red flag areas where I should just not even attempt to live in being a middle class college educated Latino?
I know this is a touchy issue so in short I suppose I'm asking where are some good/affordable areas/neighborhoods for a college educated middle class Latino who doesn't drive to start out in Minneapolis? Areas for someone like me to avoid? Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:01 AM

433 posts, read 2,358,052 times
I don't think you would run into any problems other than maybe some of the low income ghetto areas. Near north side etc.

Uptown is high rent. The west and southweat lakes areas are high rent. Nice areas - if you can afford them. Far south Mpls. near the Crosstown Freeway (Highway 62) near Lyndale might be good for somewhat lower rents. Give you a starting point anyway. By the way, bus service is very good in Mpls. You won't need a car. You might try a google on MTC Minneapolis bus routes etc. Most of the bigger north/south avenues are bus routes.

I really don't think it's going to be problem being Latino in Mpls. I think the bigger issue is the winters and learning how to at least put up with them. Walk out on the lakes in the winter and watch people ice fishing etc. It really is fascinating stuff, watching real Minnesotans in the winter. You may end up really liking the unique setting (coming from SoCal). By the way, I'm an ex-Minneapolitan now living in NorCal.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 47,379 times
Thank you for all the info Kingsnkali. I'm trying to get a starting point for relocating so I appreciate any info from the board. If I may ask Kingsnkali why did you relocate to NoCal?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM

481 posts, read 1,819,248 times
There's not the strong anti-Latino bias you might find in border states so I think you should get along fine up here. In the ganginfo thread luckache posted a link to a Minneapolis PD report on area gangs (down to the street level) and there are some Latino gangs around the 35W/Lake St area - an fyi just for your consideration - and there is also a thriving Latino presence on East Lake Street and along University Avenue. I'm not trying to steer you towards or away from that, but if you need a touchstone to your heritage its here if or when you need it. The central cities and surrounding suburbs are transit-friendly, but it depends on your transit needs. There are areas like uptown and northeast that will have a bus you can hop on within 10 minutes most times of the day, while south along nicollet/lyndale/portland near Hwy 62 (like the previous poster stated) they will be regular but can take up to half an hour or 40 minutes. Transit along the light rail corridor is of course very reliable and never more than 15 minutes apart (and have heated stations!). That would be my recommendation if you're as heavily transit dependent as you have stated. I live at 54th & 34th and when I first moved out here I was more transit reliant, and never had any issues because most basic needs are walking distance and there is good bus service.

You are going to need very warm clothes for the winter. There is nothing worse than standing at a bus stop in 10 degree weather for half an hour at night.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,999 times
You should choose areas near the new light rail line which is ever expanding. It's awesome and convenient. But one word of caution is the COLD!! You need to be ready. It's not as bad indoor but it can get troublesome with snow and walking outdoor especially you don't have a car so you will be outdoor more often. It's Zero F right now here!! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul