Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times

Advertisements

or does it feel more like living in a suburb?

It seems interesting because it's got it's own downtown and... a big lake.

I grew up in Bemidji, which I liked a lot better than Minneapolis.
I was wondering if I could approach that lifestyle somewhere in the metro area.
Also if not WBL, are there other areas to investigate? I've never been to most of the suburbs. I don't really know anything about Lake Minnetonka, or even how to get there, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM

357 posts, read 443,522 times
What does "living at the lake" mean to you? Direct access to a body of water for boating and fishing? No noise, no people, and no traffic? A sense of community where people know each other?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
well at least it has a spacious beach as the water drains out more and more, wonder how the clamming is?

https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...ents-blame-dnr

Old 03-05-2015, 03:10 PM

442 posts, read 593,297 times
Centerville fells more "up north" than WBL, though the downtown in WBL is a lot better. There's not much more in "downtown" Centerville than a bar and some convenience stores, but the lake is a lot quieter.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
White Bear Lake definitely doesn't feel like "Up North"; it's much more of an established Victorian-era resort town. Most of the neighborhoods on the lake consist of upscale historic homes instead of modest cabins like what's typical in the central and northern parts of the state.

Like Ghengis already mentioned, White Bear Lake has suffered a catastrophic drop in water level over the past several years. Most private docks don't even reach the water anymore, and along some parts of the lake, you can see exposed lakebed for hundreds of feet before water. Manitou Island isn't even an island anymore, but a peninsula. It's been devastating for the community and there don't seem to be any quick or easy solutions.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
What does "living at the lake" mean to you? Direct access to a body of water for boating and fishing? No noise, no people, and no traffic? A sense of community where people know each other?
I guess I'm just looking for a smaller house, near outdoorsy stuff like a lake. Bemidji was in the woods so maybe that is what I'm thinking of more than the lake. I am not thinking of it being too quiet, Bemidji in the summer is actually very busy. However, I guess I'm not that into Lake Havasu style drunken waterskiing crowds either. If you've been to Detroit Lakes on the 4th - that is NOT what I'm looking for. I guess I didn't even think of that until now. Are there lakes like that near the cities?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,497 times
Medicine Lake might work for you. Or one of the Twin Lakes in Robbinsdale area.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,163 times
While it's not really metro, Forest Lake is a nice area, only 30 minutes out. Lindstrom is nice too, but then you most likely need to drive on dreaded highway 8. There are many lakes in the area.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
Hot, tan, voluptuous women in bikinis.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Hot, tan, voluptuous women in bikinis.
I didn't realize I wanted a live-at-the-lake lifestyle until just now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul