Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,795 times

Advertisements

I'm a African American from the east coast, moving here five months ago and what I don't see here in the Twin Cities is African Americans on fire for success. Coming here from Philly, New Jersey, NC and Maryland I have work with and met people who have work hard to reach the America dream. What I see here is people who want hand outs and hanging downtown doing nothing. When I got layoff I went back to school to get my degree and next year I will begin my masters. My wife is in school and have 3 children who want to be doctors. I invest in them and I'm teaching they be anything they desire to become. Life owes no man nothing you must hard to become successful. I teach my children they must built relationships with all people and built a life that will impact this world. If we want to be respected then we need to respect ourselves and invest in ourselves and stop waiting for others to take of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM

431 posts, read 450,097 times
When I was in Minneapolis I only saw black guys playing basketball on the outdoor courts. I would guess it should be easy to find what you are seeking.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 PM

12 posts, read 51,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy55 View Post
I'm a African American from the east coast, moving here five months ago and what I don't see here in the Twin Cities is African Americans on fire for success. Coming here from Philly, New Jersey, NC and Maryland I have work with and met people who have work hard to reach the America dream. What I see here is people who want hand outs and hanging downtown doing nothing. When I got layoff I went back to school to get my degree and next year I will begin my masters. My wife is in school and have 3 children who want to be doctors. I invest in them and I'm teaching they be anything they desire to become. Life owes no man nothing you must hard to become successful. I teach my children they must built relationships with all people and built a life that will impact this world. If we want to be respected then we need to respect ourselves and invest in ourselves and stop waiting for others to take of us.

Hey I'm from the east coast as well (DC and Philly). I work in the civil, environmental engineering field. I'm thinking of moving to Minneapolis. I've heard good and bad things. Is it difficult for blacks to get jobs there ? Is it boring out there when compared to the east coast black culture?

I'm a hard worker. Am I'm thinking of visiting out there next month and attending some job fairs.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,914,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiluminati View Post
Then there was a time when I'm waiting on the bus in front of the DT library and this guy walks up to me and we start talking and he later tells me what gang affiliation he has in "the city" once again, and he wanted to know what I "represented" I replied "dude I'm from MICHIGAN, I don't know anything about what you're talking about, and besides I thought you left Chicago to get AWAY from stuff like that?
I always wondered what the sketchiness downtown was about. Guess it is Chicago folks bringing their baggage with them?

Anyway, I don't know if is like this all the time, but when I was there the courts in Loring Park had racially mixed pickup games going on several of the days I was exploring.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy55 View Post
There's little/no black middle class in the Twin Cities, but that's mostly because those types of people aren't moving here in droves. For whatever reason the region seems to attract those who are fleeing the worst Midwestern inner-city neighborhoods and those from parts of Africa -- both are generally poor. The black community is fairly new to the Twin Cities (relative to other Midwestern/East Coast cities), and unlike most of the those cities there hasn't been generations of people reinvesting into their neighborhoods.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos View Post
Hey I'm from the east coast as well (DC and Philly). I work in the civil, environmental engineering field. I'm thinking of moving to Minneapolis. I've heard good and bad things. Is it difficult for blacks to get jobs there ? Is it boring out there when compared to the east coast black culture?

I'm a hard worker. Am I'm thinking of visiting out there next month and attending some job fairs.
i moved out here from philly 5 years ago. i've only had one job since ive been here. I think it will be easy to get a job, but the question is will you be able to move up within the company? This is more of a family state imo. Back east, we had philly, new york, DC, Atlantic City. So you had options. The problem i have with minneosta is ITS ISOLATED. So lets say there's nothing popping this wekeend in minnesota. YOu're screwed. It's always concerts here, comedy shows, stuff like that. But it's nothing like the east coast

Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 PM

12 posts, read 18,475 times
You should be able to find work no problem...As far as CULTURALLY speaking though it's NOTHING like the east coast. (I've lived here for two years now, and I lived in Baltimore for two years)

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 18,475 times
First of all you are 100% correct on your observations. Secondly, the reason behind this is the migrants to this area of African decent are from impoverished areas in Africa, and impoverished areas in the Midwest. This has nothing to do with lack of motivation or laziness etc. We are dealing with refugees essentially in this area. There is a difference.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiluminati View Post
You should be able to find work no problem...As far as CULTURALLY speaking though it's NOTHING like the east coast. (I've lived here for two years now, and I lived in Baltimore for two years)
What is different about the east coast -- the ability to check out things going on in other cities?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What is different about the east coast -- the ability to check out things going on in other cities?
Given my experience with urban east coast folks both in Minneapolis and Atlanta, I would say the east coast culture is faster paced and also somewhat less considerate. Just a general impression based on a couple of dozen people, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul