Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 AM

67 posts, read 59,755 times

Advertisements

Have any of you tried to go "off the grid" and start your own hobby/sustainable farm (<4 acres) in MN?

-What were your challenges?
-Where did you do it at?
-Was it easier or harder than expected?
-What were some surprises you encountered?
-Was it overly expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
4 acres is not very big.

You could grow some veggies. Maybe some chickens. That's about it.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM

Thank you for your response

From everything I have been reading about (homesteading/off-grid/hobby farm/self sustaining) 2 acres is about all you need for a family of 4 (we have a family of 5) if planned correctly. Goats for dairy, chickens for eggs, and 1/2 acre for veggies.

Our biggest concern would be nasty MN winters so a greenhouse would be a must-have.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM

335 posts, read 329,797 times
Yes, a small amount of land can produce a considerable harvest. Yes, the Minnesota weather with its limited growing season is obviously a barrier. But also yes, greenhouses can help extend the season. I have a very good friend who did this in Wisconsin where he was a native son until he was in his mid-40's. He has recently moved to the west coast to resume organic farming in the milder maritime climate. His feelings so far on the difference? "Why did I even bother back home (Wisconsin)?"

I recall him restructuring his plastic greenhouses every year. Sometimes only to have to do it twice when the late snows collapsed his work. He managed to scrape out a meager living for his family of four, with his wife working full time in area nursing homes for the combined income. It was definitely a labor of love. He is a true and dedicated farmer.

By the way, he worked some years as a medical device manufacturer's mobile technician flying all over the country working on multi-million dollar equipment. He earned a lot of money which he then used to buy his Wisconsin land to start his farm. He has used what was left of his savings to get his start out west as the Wisconsin property sits on the market for sale for the past three years. Hardly a nibble of interest.

Good luck to you whatever you decide wherever.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 AM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
My cousin has a family of 5 and a hobby farm out in Buffalo.

He had big plans but gave up on the 'farm' part of it about 3 years into it. I believe they got rid of all their livestock. They still grow veggies though.

Unless you get the land for free, it costs a lot more money than you can save on food bills. (hence the 'hobby' adjective)

edit: like the guy above, my cousin made a lot of money doing something else before getting into the hobby farm

personally what I would do is forget about animals and having multiple acreage and look into advanced greenhouse techniques, hydroponics, etc. plus then you're ready to produce a high value crop (weed) when the laws change.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
If he hates it here but is stuck due to work, a psychological condition, or simply inertia, sequestering himself on a farm is a good way to avoid interacting with other Minnesotans. That's what Prince does, after all.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:36 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Feeding your family from your own land is not for the faint hearted. One hail storm and you potentially face starvation. City folks have no appreciation for how hard and how dangerous farming is.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted posts and reply deleted).

I wish I had 1 st hand advice for you.
I read Mother Earth news magazine once in awhile.
There is some good info in their, but a lot of their advice is jf you live in a year round warmer climate. But still some other good info in there.

Have you looked online for groups that do this in this area?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandefjord View Post
Thank you for your response

From everything I have been reading about (homesteading/off-grid/hobby farm/self sustaining) 2 acres is about all you need for a family of 4 (we have a family of 5) if planned correctly. Goats for dairy, chickens for eggs, and 1/2 acre for veggies.

Our biggest concern would be nasty MN winters so a greenhouse would be a must-have.
Year round greenhouse is something I've always wanted.
Canning some of your summer harvest is more feasible.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM

[SIZE=5]geebabe[/SIZE]

I am stuck here because I have a terminally ill/disabled child and because of my work, I cannot move anywhere and get the same health care that we need here. When we go into a Perkins or any other restraint here, we constantly have people whispering, laughing, and staring at our daughter who cannot control her arm movements due to her nervous system being compromised. So yes, we HAVE to be here, but we WANT to get into the more rural areas to be away from the MN people, such as your self. So you can shove it, if you don't like my questions, and cant connect the dots (he doesn't like the people here and is asking question about living a more remote lifestyle...?) then bug off and don't come to my post. You are not wanted here, and am assuming not wanted anywhere else.

To the rest of you, thank you once again. I will look into that magazine and have been checking out other sites as well for more info.

I am not a "city folk" as I grew up in a rural area in far southern Illinois near the border of Kentucky on a small farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul