Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 AM

288 posts, read 344,932 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies everyone. I personally love the rain... love, love, love. Seattle has some of the best weather in America followed by San Francisco IMO. So the rain is no problem. I'm more concerned with freezing to death. Allow me to ask this, do at least a few people die from the cold every year in Minneapolis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
Our weather isn't THAT bad. And this is a populated metropolis we're talking about, not the middle of nowhere. I've lived in the middle of nowhere where I had to take my snowmobile to work on several occasions, and where a power outage in the middle of winter required a lot of survival skills — Minneapolis is nothing like that. We get a couple of measurable snowfalls each winter, but it's nothing like being in the mountains or in an area where lake-effect snow is common (I lived in southwest Michigan and had 2 winters of more than 100 inches of snow — Minnesota gets nowhere near as much).

The weather is worth preparing for, but is not life-or-death by any means.
100 inches of snow? Is that per year? Or does it build up in a relatively short amount of time? I've seen pictures where people's doorway are completely covered by snow. I think the term is "snowed in". Do people often (or ever) get "snowed in" in Minneapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I personally love the rain... love, love, love. Seattle has some of the best weather in America followed by San Francisco IMO. So the rain is no problem. I'm more concerned with freezing to death. Allow me to ask this, do at least a few people die from the cold every year in Minneapolis?

100 inches of snow? Is that per year? Or does it build up in a relatively short amount of time? I've seen pictures where people's doorway are completely covered by snow. I think the term is "snowed in". Do people often (or ever) get "snowed in" in Minneapolis?
Yeah a few people die each year from the cold. They are usually found under a bridge, as in homeless.

Minneapolis MN Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results shows average snow fall.

Snow falls, it is shoveled or blown. It melts. It sublimates. It's really not a big deal.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yeah a few people die each year from the cold. They are usually found under a bridge, as in homeless.
And how does that make you feel? How are they normally found?

Quote:
Minneapolis MN Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

Thanks, I already knew about that.

Quote:
Snow falls, it is shoveled or blown. It melts. It sublimates. It's really not a big deal.
I thought snow stayed on the ground in Minneapolis during the winter, unlike a place like Denver.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
Enjoy Seattle!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:

We don't get 100 inches of snow here, we get about 50. But in reading over your comments, I think you should go to Seattle, especially since you love, love, love rain.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
Enjoy Seattle!
Ummm Ooookaaayee?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We don't get 100 inches of snow here, we get about 50. But in reading over your comments, I think you should go to Seattle, especially since you love, love, love rain.
Yeah I like the rain and the food in Seattle, but Minneapolis seems to have better massage therapists and a more reasonable COL.... Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-06-2015, 10:28 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Sounds like Seattle might be a better fit for you.

Both cities have a lot going for them and some similarities - highly educated, outdoors-oriented, lots of green areas, etc. especially if you like rain, which tends to be a breaker for people relocating there (I lived the for about a year - when the sun shines, it is really spectaular). And I found the people there to be pretty great as well.

If you are apprehensive about snow and cold, MPLS will be a bad fit. We get both here.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Minneapolis is going to be far too dangerous for you. You'll be snowed in your home for months on end, and if you venture out, odds are that you'll end up dead. Yes, it's extremely dangerous here, and only the hardiest of people can handle it. Just don't think too much about the risk of major earthquake in Seattle... (or flooding from all that rain)

Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
I'm undecided between Minneapolis or Seattle, and I have until next week to make a decision. My thing is, I don't want to get caught in a snowstorm in December or January and not be found until the snow melts in late April. It doesn't seem as though living in a city such as Minneapolis is conducive to taking public transportation year-round.
It's a city of 3.5 million people, you're not going to be lost forever in a whiteout. Extremely low wind chills in the winter are about as common and about as dangerous as severe thunderstorms in the summer. It will probably happen a few times a year, but it's almost always at night when you're already home, and otherwise it's unlikely it will cause anything but a very minor and very temporary inconvenience.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Ummm Ooookaaayee?....

Yeah I like the rain and the food in Seattle, but Minneapolis seems to have better massage therapists and a more reasonable COL.... Decisions, decisions...

what good will that do if you fear the cold, the cold laughs at fear and turns the inexperienced into popsicles, you see stuff like this all the time during the annual May thaw...probably moved here from the South all inexperienced and dying alone in the cold, moonless night

(from wiki)

looks like rats gnawed his ears off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul