Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating to the MSP area and have 4 dogs (medium to large). Much to our disappointment, we've discovered that Minneapolis and St. Paul have limits of 3 dogs. We're moving from a major city that has a limit of six and is extremely dog friendly. Anyone know of any suburbs or areas outside the Cities that will allow four well-behaved dogs? Also, we're not seeing a lot of 6-8 foot board on board privacy fences. Are those restricted as well? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM

219 posts, read 314,036 times
Six foot privacy fences are common. We had one in Edina. You won't see any/many eight foot fences because of city ordinances but you can always put an invisible fence on top the six footer which might be an effective solution in lieu of that. Most burbs have a hard limit of two or three pets but there are exceptions, iirc. I don't think Wayzata or Lakeville have limits.

Some cities will require you to apply for a kennel permit for that many dogs which would require annual inspections etc. so might not work for you depending on where you intend to keep the dogs. At least a couple burbs offer multiple license permits if you own more than two or three animals...you'll have to check city websites for those and you have to reapply annually. Minnetonka is one of those.

I know one woman with five Malinois in the western burbs but for the life of me can't remember where exactly she lives. I think Mound but I might be misremembering.

Out of curiosity, where are you coming from? i've never heard of a limit that high, that's amazing. I'd be tempted to move there and shore up my dog collection. I doubt my wife would agree.

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 11-04-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 PM

442 posts, read 595,028 times
Bloomington allows 4 dogs. I think New Hope has no restrictions (but can't be sure). As you get further away from the first-ring suburbs you should find some that allow more than 3 (which is where the cut-off usually is).

Most cities allow 6-foot fences, though some will restrict them to the back yard and side yards only. You'll want to pay extra close attention to whether you're looking at homes with HOAs or not, as some of them get very restrictive with fence height and type.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 AM

142 posts, read 255,975 times
Might be worth calling Hennepin county to inquire about the 3 dog limit and if there is any way to get an exception. Seems like if the dogs are well behaved and not a nuisance there may be some way to make it work.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,210,705 times
Not positive, but I can't find any hard and fast limit on pets in Chanhassen; the only reference to a limit that I found is as follows:

Sec. 20-1002. - Care and treatment.
Animals kept within any zoning district shall be subject to the following requirements:

(1)
The size, number, species, facilities for and location of animals kept shall be maintained so as not to constitute a danger or nuisance by means of odor, noise or otherwise.

^you would definitely want to verify with the city, but my interpretation is that as long as your dogs aren't a nuisance, you're free to have 4 (or more).

Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times
We live in Dallas, TX, in the city, which is very animal friendly. They even allow chickens and goats! Dallas is working hard to become a no-kill city and in the 20 years we've lived here, the limit has been six. Most of my neighbors have more than 3 dogs. Our dogs are all kept in the house. Two of them are seniors, ages 14 and 13 and the other two are middle aged. Thank you for your reply.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

219 posts, read 314,036 times
Fwiw I'm in Portland where we can keep chickens, turkeys, geese, peacocks, goats, donkeys, burros, ducks, geese, llamas, bees and even a cow. Don't even need permits for up to three chickens, pygmy goats, etc. Only three pets though!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,728,803 times
You can raise chickens and other small animals in Minneapolis.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM

878 posts, read 1,210,705 times
Minnetonka allows multiple pets with a $10 annual permit (not certain whether it's an automatic approval process or subjective in some way):

Owning Multiple Pets

The city requires that any household with more than two dogs, five cats or five cats and dogs combined that are over the age of six months apply for a multiple animal location permit. This permit expires annually on May 31 and costs $10 per year. Call 952.939.8500, or download the permit application below.

Pet Ownership

Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM

871 posts, read 1,091,107 times
" The City of Minneapolis does not limit the number of pets a resident can own. However, if you have four or more pets, we ask that you complete an application and get signatures from your neighbors. "

Do I Need a Pet License or an Animal Permit? - City of Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul