Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
3 In Custody For Minneapolis Black Lives Matter Protest Shooting

Wow. Does Minneapolis have a big KKK element or was this a random nut bag type of thing?
My experience, which comes from being a white person listening to what other white people say when there are only white people around, is that there is significantly less casual racism here than the other places I have lived (Chicago, upstate NY) but the small number of people here who are overtly and intentionally racist are really intense about it. Probably more so than a lot of other places. I met some people like that when I worked in the northern exurbs, they are pretty rare in the cities proper.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:44 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
3 In Custody For Minneapolis Black Lives Matter Protest Shooting

Wow. Does Minneapolis have a big KKK element or was this a random nut bag type of thing?
Nut bad kind of thing. These people aren't from the Metro area. They're from places that lie hours to the North. I don't think this behavior or thinking is indicative of the people in those communities either. To my knowledge there is zero virtually KKK activity in the Twin Cities. I remember reading a City Pages article last year about Neo-Nazis & KKK here. They estimated there were a couple groups, each with no more than 4-5 members and not hard core. These shooters are nuts.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Looks like the GOP has gotten to the bottom of this issue.

Apparently, there's a 'negro problem' (I cringed. Did you?) and the DFL created it.

Quote:
The 7th Congressional District GOP’s Twitter account linked to an online blog Monday night that blamed Democrats for ongoing issues in Minnesota’s black community. The party’s tweet quoted the blog with the hashtag “#Negroproblem.”
Minnesota GOP Volunteer Dismissed After ‘Negro Problem’ Tweet « CBS Minnesota

See, there's no racism in the 21st century. There's just a 'negro problem'!

Glad we cleared that up...

Old 11-25-2015, 07:02 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Looks like the GOP has gotten to the bottom of this issue.

Apparently, there's a 'negro problem' (I cringed. Did you?) and the DFL created it.

Minnesota GOP Volunteer Dismissed After ‘Negro Problem’ Tweet « CBS Minnesota

See, there's no racism in the 21st century. There's just a 'negro problem'!

Glad we cleared that up...
He's right, the Democrats have created this environment. That said, he'd be hard pressed to find a worse way to phrase it.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This thread has gotten incredibly tedious.
Spoken like a true Minnesotan.

The whole "race baiting" thing needs to stop. Nobody needs to "race bait" (what does that even mean?) in American. This topic doesn't need to be moved to another forum. It's a LOCAL issue that has NATIONAL implications, and I believe people are FREE to post in whatever forum they want as long as they are following the rules. You can't sweep everything under the carpet to maintain your illusion, Minnesotans.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 PM

422 posts, read 574,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

The whole "race baiting" thing needs to stop. Nobody needs to "race bait" (what does that even mean?) in American. This topic doesn't need to be moved to another forum. It's a LOCAL issue that has NATIONAL implications, and I believe people are FREE to post in whatever forum they want as long as they are following the rules. You can't sweep everything under the carpet to maintain your illusion, Minnesotans.
Let me spell it out. I grew up in north. I'm white, but most of my friends were black. We were one of the few white families in our neighborhood. The vast majority of black people down there do NOT trust white people. This isn't even up for debate. Race baiting is real. When a white person says something totally inmocent, a lot of black people are so on edge they immediately take it to be racially motivated. If you ask a black guy if he got the new pair of jordans you're racist for assuming they like jordans because they're black. You seem to hold a lot of resentment yourself. For every white person who is intimidated by black culture, theres a white person like me who wants to help out and find some answers. Too many white people are intimidated by black people, but that goes both ways. If a black guy immediately thinks a white guy he doesn't know is going to hurt him or do something else negative, how can we ever move on with all that fear and resentment?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Since you seem to have some difficulty understanding the meaning of the word tedious, I thought I would help you out. Here you go!

te·di·ous
ˈtēdēəs/
adjective
too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous.
"a tedious journey"
synonyms: boring, dull, monotonous, repetitive, unrelieved, unvaried, uneventful; More

My comment was a criticism of the style of some of the posts rather than the topic itself, but if you're attuned to take everything as an affront I can see how you misinterpreted.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
This is one topic where I kind of miss a moderator like Golf Gal or whatever her name was. She would have quickly recognized this thread for what it is, race trolling rubbish, and would have shut it down.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:15 PM

422 posts, read 574,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This is one topic where I kind of miss a moderator like Golf Gal or whatever her name was. She would have quickly recognized this thread for what it is, race trolling rubbish, and would have shut it down.
I don't really see race trolling. This is a real life issue. I assume most of us are adults and can have a civil conversation about a touchy subject.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM

18 posts, read 44,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Unfortunately no one is posting the videos or making an issue out of those that are white that have been shot by police. The only ones protesting are blacks. I know there are crimes against whites as well as blacks and I fear that we are headed towards a problem where no one will go into law enforcement in the future due to the charges being leveled against law enforcement, possibly imprisonment, etc. I am not saying that people are not being unlawfully targeted, only that it seems a day doesn't go by when the black community isn't up in arms about a shooting, the majority of them against persons who have a criminal background. And the lawsuits and settlements...doesn't make much sense to me.

I am not sure why law enforcement shoots to kill rather than injure someone. That makes more sense to me.
You have to look at the definition of lethal force. If you believe that your life or someone else's in in danger than you need to respond with lethal force. Anything less wouldn't warrant using lethal force. It's an all or nothing. Can you imagine someone only being dangerous for a leg wound or an arm wound. As for this case. If Jamar did go for an officers gun than of course it is a use deadly force type of situation. If you were to believe the protestors side of things you would have to assume that these police officers wanted to get caught. Handcuffing and then shooting someone in the street or whatever the story has morphed into now would be foolish from their stand point. Why not take him away and if they really wanted to do him harm, do it then. Why would you possibly do it in the middle of a neighborhood? For the people claiming that nobody deserves to be shot in the head at close range I would say that the situation dictates what happens. If someone was attacking myself or my family with what I assumed deadly force than I honestly don't care if they get shot 10 feet or one inch from whatever part of the body that would stop their actions. Distances close very quickly in altercations. I can tell you that I have been stopped by police before and I have had a firearm on me and I didn't have any type or problem. I spent sometime in the back of a police car as a high-schooler and again as a mis-identified person walking across a mall parking lot one day. I was never in danger or being shot, because I complied with the officers. You cannot discount someones history and say well that doesn't matter in this case. Nobody would want a convicted child molester living next to a school bus pick up. You could say well their past doesn't matter, but I would argue that it does. I would argue that all lives matter, not just black ones, but honestly if you are doing criminal activities and bad things happen to you than maybe your life choices weren't all that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul