Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times

Advertisements

Finding a deal on a Twin Cities apartment has become mission impossible | City Pages

I bought my first house 12 years ago so I've been out of touch with rising rents.

Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 01:15 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Finding a deal on a Twin Cities apartment has become mission impossible | City Pages

I bought my first house 12 years ago so I've been out of touch with rising rents.

Ouch!
Talk to the first time homebuyers out there right now. It is just as 'mission impossible' for them.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:02 AM

256 posts, read 287,131 times
Yeah, Tim's right. You basically get screwed either way. It's like you can't buy a home if you've bought... well... almost anything more than groceries in the past year, but you also can't save up money for a bigger down payment because rent is so ****ing high. And it's everywhere. Whether you're looking for a 2BR rental in a ****hole slum or Linden Hills, the price is usually gonna start at about $1100/mo. Trust me, I've looked.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:09 AM

147 posts, read 143,246 times
Are there better places in the nation to move to right now? At least ones with a better earnings to rent ratio? I've heard that the housing market in every state is pretty much on the upswing right now. Might this be the expected result of that success?

On a side note, I don't think that this is the worst time to look for an apartment. I think last summer was the worst I've experienced. A few days ago I emailed about 10 properties listed on hotpads and received 4 email replies and a couple of voicemails within a couple days.

This past summer the only properties I could find <1000 in the city were in apartment buildings that were having all their units completely revamped and they were studios. In the end it was who I knew that mattered more than what i could find online.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Me and my wife moved here from NYC. We are used to paying good money for a LUXURY apartment with amenities, 24 hour concierge service, package service, dry cleaning, etc. Not enough of these type of buildings in the Twin Cities and you have to offer that if you want to attract people from other parts of the country such as Chicago and NYC that are used to luxury buildings. We sure as hell don't want to live in a run down brownstone with radiators and street parking. Wake up Minneapolis, if you want your city to be a world class city you have to step your game up.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
Are there better places in the nation to move to right now? At least ones with a better earnings to rent ratio? I've heard that the housing market in every state is pretty much on the upswing right now.
I'm certainly not claiming to be any kind of expert.. but for a few years I've been seeing people stating the same thing on other states' forums on here... so it seems the same problem is everywhere.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM

55 posts, read 180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Me and my wife moved here from NYC. We are used to paying good money for a LUXURY apartment with amenities, 24 hour concierge service, package service, dry cleaning, etc. Not enough of these type of buildings in the Twin Cities and you have to offer that if you want to attract people from other parts of the country such as Chicago and NYC that are used to luxury buildings. We sure as hell don't want to live in a run down brownstone with radiators and street parking. Wake up Minneapolis, if you want your city to be a world class city you have to step your game up.
When did you move here? You sound very blunt, just the way Minnesotans like it.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:53 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
There was an interesting article in the Pioneer Press about a company called Blackstone Financial a while back. They targeted the twin cities and swept in buying up hundreds of homes. All under $175k and they turned them into rentals. The article said that this company had bought over 50% of the homes in the TC over the past few years (which artificially gave the appearance of a healthy real estate market). They claimed they were great for the TC because they were "stabilizing" the rental market. Their strategy was to wait until the market rebounded and then sell the houses to the renters at huge margins. It sorta made me throw up in my mouth because it froze out low income & first time home buyers since this corporation was getting first pick of all the homes coming on the market & foreclosures. They'd buy in bulk & pay cash, so the average person had no chance against them. So, those people had to rent, but they also jacked up all the rents and the rest of the rental market followed suit.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:03 PM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
There was an interesting article in the Pioneer Press about a company called Blackstone Financial a while back. They targeted the twin cities and swept in buying up hundreds of homes. All under $175k and they turned them into rentals. The article said that this company had bought over 50% of the homes in the TC over the past few years (which artificially gave the appearance of a healthy real estate market). They claimed they were great for the TC because they were "stabilizing" the rental market. Their strategy was to wait until the market rebounded and then sell the houses to the renters at huge margins. It sorta made me throw up in my mouth because it froze out low income & first time home buyers since this corporation was getting first pick of all the homes coming on the market & foreclosures. They'd buy in bulk & pay cash, so the average person had no chance against them. So, those people had to rent, but they also jacked up all the rents and the rest of the rental market followed suit.
This is what my realtor said. I have also run into an interesting practice of bank owned property that lists one price and changes it upon contact with the bank (a version of bait and switch). I do have sympathy for first time home owners. I was filtering properties by putting 300k or less for single family home owners in Chanhassen, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie. Each city had only between 7-9.

First time home owners have a difficult path.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:40 PM

256 posts, read 287,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post

I guess it depends where exactly you're looking, but I can think of half a dozen places like this off the top of my head in Minneapolis alone (I live in one of them). And if you're used to NYC, where you pay $2,000 a month to share an apartment with 4 people you just met, in a building in Brooklyn where the hallways and stairwells look like prison bathrooms, the options in Minneapolis should look astoundingly cheap and comfy to you, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul