Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM

34 posts, read 48,453 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offer your advice and experiences! Here's my story: I'm from a smaller town in Florida (Port St Lucie) and am moving away from here soon, it's just not a good area for what I'm looking for at this point in my life; more geared towards people raising families and retirees. My job is easily transferred and very well paying so I'm not worried that. I'm visiting Minneapolis in May so I wanted to find out some information before I visit so I have a little more knowledge. So here's what I'm looking for in my new city:
1. Somewhere with a lot of young people around my age. I've read online that Minneapolis is great for this and that a lot of recent college grads and young professionals move here. Is that true? Being 24 and a single guy, it is important to me to have plenty of young women to socialize with in my new city, as that is one of most annoying things about the city I currently live in.
2. AWESOME DOWNTOWN. I really like nice bars and restaurants but I also enjoy clubs, especially techno clubs. Are there a lot of these where people my age like to hang out?
3. I'm going to be looking at apartments while I'm in Minneapolis. What are the areas you would recommend I look into the most? I'm looking for an area that is close to downtown (or in downtown) that has the most people my age in it, what area would you recommend checking out?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and provide your advice! I'm also considering Philly, Denver, Salt Lake City, and Tampa so if you or someone you know has lived in either of these cities as well, please feel free to let me know your feedback on that city as well. Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:11 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Minneapolis could fit the bill for you. The areas I'd recommend looking at are Uptown and North Loop. The club scene is concentrated downtown near the Warehouse/Hennepin Ave light rail station but there is a good bar scene in Uptown too.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Uptown, North Loop, Loring Park, and "northeast" would all be good neighborhoods.

Techno style clubs are only going to be in the warehouse district downtown, which is not an area you would want to live.

Uptown: lots of ethnic restaurants, bars that bring in DJ's at night, but not clubby and more high class YUPPIE than downtown. Close to lake calhoun which has tons of people your age walking the lake, playing volleyball in the summer, etc.

North Loop: the trendy new area in DT (but on the edge) with warehouse lofts. Not ideal in that its on the edge of downtown and still somewhat sleepy in terms of people be out and about

Loring Park: dense, walkable, in DT but on edge. Unlike North Loop, it has all the commerce one would need in walking distance (grocery, drug store, restaurants, etc).

Northeast: across the river from DT. More artsy, its where you go when you want to own a home, but still don't want to "grow up" yet, lol. Some good bars and restaurants, likely to have a few more families than the others mentioned.

Note that unlike some other large cities, DT Minne only serves 3 basic purposes. You go DT when you: 1) are going to see an event (a play, twins game, etc.), 2) because you work there 9-5, and 3) because you just turned 21 and want to get a little hammered and dance to a DJ after 10 pm on weekends. Otherwise, its not a destination to go a meet people per se, in this regards uptown is the best. In Uptown, you're much more likely to walk to the local coffee shop and stumble upon a stranger and strike up a chat.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM

34 posts, read 48,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Uptown, North Loop, Loring Park, and "northeast" would all be good neighborhoods.

Techno style clubs are only going to be in the warehouse district downtown, which is not an area you would want to live.

Uptown: lots of ethnic restaurants, bars that bring in DJ's at night, but not clubby and more high class YUPPIE than downtown. Close to lake calhoun which has tons of people your age walking the lake, playing volleyball in the summer, etc.

North Loop: the trendy new area in DT (but on the edge) with warehouse lofts. Not ideal in that its on the edge of downtown and still somewhat sleepy in terms of people be out and about

Loring Park: dense, walkable, in DT but on edge. Unlike North Loop, it has all the commerce one would need in walking distance (grocery, drug store, restaurants, etc).

Northeast: across the river from DT. More artsy, its where you go when you want to own a home, but still don't want to "grow up" yet, lol. Some good bars and restaurants, likely to have a few more families than the others mentioned.

Note that unlike some other large cities, DT Minne only serves 3 basic purposes. You go DT when you: 1) are going to see an event (a play, twins game, etc.), 2) because you work there 9-5, and 3) because you just turned 21 and want to get a little hammered and dance to a DJ after 10 pm on weekends. Otherwise, its not a destination to go a meet people per se, in this regards uptown is the best. In Uptown, you're much more likely to walk to the local coffee shop and stumble upon a stranger and strike up a chat.
I never would have known that DT Minneapolis is only for those three purposes for the most part if you hadn't told me, thank you for sharing that. I'll definitely check out a lot of the apartments in Uptown in that case then. Thank you for your advice!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1232 View Post
I never would have known that DT Minneapolis is only for those three purposes for the most part if you hadn't told me, thank you for sharing that. I'll definitely check out a lot of the apartments in Uptown in that case then. Thank you for your advice!
There are lots of apartments going up downtown. Whether they fit what you're looking for, I don't know but please take the information you get here with a grain of salt. Posters tend to come here with their biases, me included. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Minneapolis is a city of neighborhoods. The downtown isn't really where things 'happen' except for big concerts and sports.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM

30 posts, read 42,544 times
Uptown or North Loop for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul