Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

Well, I'm a bit older, but I imagine it will be similar to when I was younger. In addition to all the winter-related sporting activities, MSP has a thriving music, art, and theatre scene.
Oh, my yes.

MSP is rich in theatre at all levels. Plus lots of professional sports. Multiple concert venues and stages. Not a lot of live comedy, but what is considered one of the best rooms in the nation by comedians (ACME in MPLS), so we get national headliners regularly there. Both MPLS and StP are considered among the best city park systems in the nation by various measures. MPLS is often ranked as a top ten city for bicycling (and the locals take it seriously, many commuting year-round by bike). A growing brewery and taproom culture.

Just a couple of places to look ...

Minneapolis and St. Paul Events Calendar and Things To Do 2018 | City Pages[]=All%20Events

https://www.minnpost.com/arts-culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
I'm from the East Coast and have previously lived in both NYC and Atlanta-- please do NOT move to Chaska (and I say that as someone who lives literally across the street from the Chaska town limits).

If I were single and/or had no kids, I would move to Minneapolis or St Paul (and possibly parts of Edina) in a heartbeat-- really, the only reason to live out here is to get more space for less cash-- and while it's a great place to raise kids (or to golf)--it's suburban as all get out (and lacking in diversity). If you're looking to be a bit further out of the urban core, then I'd suggest Excelsior WAY before I'd suggest Chaska.

Being in or closer to the cities would allow you to take advantage of the restaurants, theater, sports, etc-- not that Chaska is the ends of the Earth, but it's still a solid 30 minutes (without traffic) to much of the fun stuff.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
I'm from the East Coast and have previously lived in both NYC and Atlanta-- please do NOT move to Chaska (and I say that as someone who lives literally across the street from the Chaska town limits).

If I were single and/or had no kids, I would move to Minneapolis or St Paul (and possibly parts of Edina) in a heartbeat-- really, the only reason to live out here is to get more space for less cash-- and while it's a great place to raise kids (or to golf)--it's suburban as all get out (and lacking in diversity). If you're looking to be a bit further out of the urban core, then I'd suggest Excelsior WAY before I'd suggest Chaska.

Being in or closer to the cities would allow you to take advantage of the restaurants, theater, sports, etc-- not that Chaska is the ends of the Earth, but it's still a solid 30 minutes (without traffic) to much of the fun stuff.
I think that is safe advice ... and for many/most of the 'burbs.

I am in Woodbury but lived in Eagan and have done more than enough time in Rosemount, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Cottage Grove, Chaska, Bloomington to say that if I were single - at any age - or simply coupled, there is no way I would be living out in any of them.

My wife and I are now discussing the post-child years and where we plan to be. If still in the Twin Cities, we will join the mass moving back into the cities (MLPS and StP).

Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I think that is safe advice ... and for many/most of the 'burbs.

I am in Woodbury but lived in Eagan and have done more than enough time in Rosemount, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Cottage Grove, Chaska, Bloomington to say that if I were single - at any age - or simply coupled, there is no way I would be living out in any of them.

My wife and I are now discussing the post-child years and where we plan to be. If still in the Twin Cities, we will join the mass moving back into the cities (MLPS and StP).
My husband and I are having that same conversation (about what to do post-kids)-- he wants to move to a cabin on a lake somewhere, but I'm *definitely* pushing for a small house somewhere in the Cities were we can walk to shops and restaurants-- our youngest is only 10, so we have at least another 8ish years before we could even consider the next chapter, so we have plenty of time to figure that out!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 AM

225 posts, read 211,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Come for the State Fair at the end of August.
Good idea! I think I will, with possibly a shorter trip earlier.

Quote:
Thank you. There is a lot here, to say the least.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
This made me laugh out loud. Okay, I hear you elly, and everyone else. I will try to stay out of Chaska, and stay closer to the TC.

You suggested Excelsior which looks to be smaller than Chaska and (maybe?) as suburban as Chaska but indeed it is much closer. I don't have any real need to be further outside of the TC but I have yet to discover where exactly in the metro I will end up so I was scoping out close surrounding areas.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Not even Bloomington? Why not? I was under the impression that it was considered a solid city, a step or two below the TC.

Woodbury looks really great! Great environment, nice population size, etc. How expensive is it though?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:20 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Not even Bloomington? Why not? I was under the impression that it was considered a solid city, a step or two below the TC.

Woodbury looks really great! Great environment, nice population size, etc. How expensive is it though?
Bloomington is not your typical Twin Cities suburb. It is the fifth largest city in Minnesota— about the same size as Duluth—and has a mix of retail and industrial business, and single family and multi- family housing available at all price points from high end homes at $1,000,000 plus to low end.

It also has excellent transportation with access to many major highways, light rail, and a decent bus system. I would think Minneapolis would be a better fit for a young single person, but I wouldn’t eliminate Bloomington if you are looking for a suburban location.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:

If I were single - at any age - or simply coupled, for the TC I would be looking at MSLP and StP unless there was a huge compelling reason otherwise.

Woodbury is like many TC 'burbs - absolutely wonderful for raising kids. Safe. Great public schools. Great parks. Good opportunities for theatre, sports, art, music, etc., though we are driving in to MSP more and more fok kid activities not available east of STP. And fairly boring for adults. Eagan was the same. Bloomington is the same. Chaska, etc.

I recently read that the population of Minneapolis grew by 40k since 2000 (or 2010?). Lowertown STP has undergone a ton of revitilation, as has Nordeast. People are moving *to* the core cities. I drive from Woodbury across the east metro daily into MPLS for work - it is changing in a hurry. Lots of cranes on the horizon the past seven years for commercial, retail and residential building. University Ave in STP along the Green Line light Rail has a bunch of new and renovated apartment and condo buildings that are moving eastward.

Again, the TC burbs are great for families. Seriously wonderful for families.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
This made me laugh out loud. Okay, I hear you elly, and everyone else. I will try to stay out of Chaska, and stay closer to the TC.

You suggested Excelsior which looks to be smaller than Chaska and (maybe?) as suburban as Chaska but indeed it is much closer. I don't have any real need to be further outside of the TC but I have yet to discover where exactly in the metro I will end up so I was scoping out close surrounding areas.
Excelsior has a fabulous (albeit small) downtown with some great, mostly local, shops and restaurants-- and it's on the shoreline of Lake Minnetonka. It's surprisingly metropolitan in feel (it's not a city, but it's a great town and doesn't feel suburban when you're downtown-- it reminds me of towns in Upstate New York or in New England-- where the local stores and shops tend to be upscale-ish and the populace seems both educated and moneyed)-- I still would opt for Minneapolis or St Paul WELL before Excelsior, but I'd move to Excelsior well before Chaska (if I were both younger and single)-- no need to take on a longer commute unless you're looking for more space and/or suburban amenities, especially when there are some great areas within the Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul