Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times

Advertisements

I am not sure that the state or the Twin Cities metro is growing any faster than usual over the last few decades. I think many cities are simply riding a trend of increased interest in the white demographic to move to the city, at all levels of income. This trend is simultaneously taking place with the trend of increased sub-urbanization of African Americans. Given that many of the larger Midwest cities have a much higher percentage African American population than the twin cities, the loss of black residents is not offset by the rise of white residents and therefore population of Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, etc, continue to fall while those of Minneapolis continue to rise. Also, Minneapolis attracts a good number of immigrants to the city proper as well, as immigrants often seek out the places with the best opportunities.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best places I have ever lived...except for winter. I am a Michigan native and I also lived in Atlanta for a while. Life here is a lot less stressful....but there are pockets of the city where life is totally different from the rest of the city, but that is true everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 03:59 AM

776 posts, read 1,064,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Without a doubt, this is one of the best places I have ever lived...except for winter.
Is this like saying.... best place I have ever lived... except for being happy. or except having an income. or except the scenery.

Im not saying MN doesnt have those things, Im saying that the weather can take a huge toll on people who do not appreciate winter. Myself included. I grew up in MN, left at 26 years old. Tried moving back 2 times and as soon ass winter hit, it all sunk back in and I left both time. Now sitting here contemplating it a 3 rd time. I must be crazy..... Listen, Minnesota is so wonderful in soooooo many ways, but that winter can be a total deal breaker. Maybe if we knew it was only a couple of months long but when you have to deal with it for 4....5....6.... months . Sure maybe its only off and on sub-zero temps for 45-60 days in the dead off winter, but the snow and gray skies can start in October and easily last through April and obviously into May last few years or more. So how does that play into your "quality of life" aspect when most peopple cant do all those things that make MN so enjoyable to do? Hell, even the one Twins game that my family back there was excited to go to this year got ...Snowed out? WHAAAAAAAT

Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Is this like saying.... best place I have ever lived... except for being happy. or except having an income. or except the scenery.

Im not saying MN doesnt have those things, Im saying that the weather can take a huge toll on people who do not appreciate winter. Myself included. I grew up in MN, left at 26 years old. Tried moving back 2 times and as soon ass winter hit, it all sunk back in and I left both time. Now sitting here contemplating it a 3 rd time. I must be crazy..... Listen, Minnesota is so wonderful in soooooo many ways, but that winter can be a total deal breaker. Maybe if we knew it was only a couple of months long but when you have to deal with it for 4....5....6.... months . Sure maybe its only off and on sub-zero temps for 45-60 days in the dead off winter, but the snow and gray skies can start in October and easily last through April and obviously into May last few years or more. So how does that play into your "quality of life" aspect when most peopple cant do all those things that make MN so enjoyable to do? Hell, even the one Twins game that my family back there was excited to go to this year got ...Snowed out? WHAAAAAAAT
Gross exaggeration of winter in Minnesota.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:54 AM

542 posts, read 449,504 times
Quote:

Way off topic because this thread is comparing other midwest cities who have similar weather.

I think your perception of winter is affected by your feelings and not by facts.
Here are some weather facts about weather in Minneapolis Metro.
1) It rarely snows in October. `
2) If it does snow in November, it rarely sticks. Meaning it is more likely to melt than to stick through the winter (2010 was the exception with the Nov 17 snow sticking through the season).
3) Only 70% of the time do we have a white Christmas. That means 30% of the time, there is no snow on Christmans
4) read this about cold snaps. https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/...gq-cold-snaps/
5) The 20 and 30 year trends show average winter weather is warming by 1-3 degrees above the normal winter temp.
6) 45 inches of snow a year.
7) 100 days of at least an inch of snow on the ground.
8) In 2005, we didn't get an inch of snow until Jan 21.
9) Average temps in DEC (27/12), JAN(22/6), FEB(28/12) high/low. Beginning/ending dec 1 (35/19) FEB 31 (36/16)
10) The earths temperature continues to rise. The northern climates are the tip of the spear for greatest changes so these averages will go up in the future according to climate models.

Now, if we are talking about the farthest northern reaches of Minnesota, you might be in the ball park. But the folks in Winnipeg are shaking their head at you and thinking you are a weather winp (they would never say that).

I am disappointed with the number of native Minnesotans that have an incomplete understanding of how to dress in the winter. You can keep your body at a comfortable temperature during almost any weather if you understand how to dress and have the proper clothing. It is much more challenging to do that with very hot weather.

There is so much to do in the winter and a lot of people are active in the winter. I didn't make it my winter camping last year, but did more fat tire biking and cross country skiing. My daughter and I spent a lot of time outside building an ice fort (saved milk cartons and froze water to make the "bricks") and snowman construction - she is already designed are next snow fort for next year. Ice fishing and snowmo are always fun. Just learn to dress properly and you can enjoy these activities without being a whiner.

Until you understand how to dress, you will probably never be happy here.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 36,640 times
Quote:

Weather should not be your first priority unless you're super rich! You should look for other factors to have a good quality of life, weather should be your less concern.

California weather is nice, but it recently rank last for the quality of life.

It sounds to me that weather is the only thing that matters to you.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,711,564 times
Quote:

I can understand where the poster is going with this. It is perhaps a bit exaggerated of a post, but I do know some people who really really struggle with SAD. I didn't used to struggle with MN winters, but since having 2 young children, being cooped up inside during the heart of winter is genuinely really challenging. There are only so many times you can go to the zoo/library/MOA etc. 5 months out of 12, year after year can be a really tough pill to swallow. I can imagine a retiree that need not care about school quality not wanting to live in MN due to weather alone.

Now that has to be balanced with the other great quality of life aspects, but I don't think it's far fetched for someone who craves warmth and sunshine to dislike MN.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I can understand where the poster is going with this. It is perhaps a bit exaggerated of a post, but I do know some people who really really struggle with SAD. I didn't used to struggle with MN winters, but since having 2 young children, being cooped up inside during the heart of winter is genuinely really challenging. There are only so many times you can go to the zoo/library/MOA etc. 5 months out of 12, year after year can be a really tough pill to swallow. I can imagine a retiree that need not care about school quality not wanting to live in MN due to weather alone.

Now that has to be balanced with the other great quality of life aspects, but I don't think it's far fetched for someone who craves warmth and sunshine to dislike MN.
Sure, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. No problem. My only beef was the exaggeration. It’s the difference between me posting that I don’t care for the heat in Phoenix and posting that I can’t stand Phoenix because it’s over 120F for most of the year. One’s a valid statement of personal opinion while the other is a gross exaggeration.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:

For what its worth.....I hate winter and the winters here are long, but the quality of life here makes up for it somewhat. I moved here from Detroit and there is a YUGE, really YUGE, quality of life difference, plus, Michigan winter is long too, just not as cold or snowy. However, I will say that winters here seem to have gotten a lot milder....but they still are wayyyyyyyyy to long.

PS

The sun shines a lot more in Minnesota than it does in Michigan. Michigan is where my heart is, however.......and Minnesota is where my logic is. Atlanta was cool.....but highly overrated. I would pick the Twin Cities over Atlanta every time.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,455,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
For what its worth.....I hate winter and the winters here are long, but the quality of life here makes up for it somewhat. I moved here from Detroit and there is a YUGE, really YUGE, quality of life difference, plus, Michigan winter is long too, just not as cold or snowy. However, I will say that winters here seem to have gotten a lot milder....but they still are wayyyyyyyyy to long.

PS

The sun shines a lot more in Minnesota than it does in Michigan. Michigan is where my heart is, however.......and Minnesota is where my logic is. Atlanta was cool.....but highly overrated. I would pick the Twin Cities over Atlanta every time.

How funny. I am from Michigan, have also lived in Atlanta (20 years), and am now on the far northern periphery of the Twin Cities CSA. Small world.

We came to Minnesota because it reminded us of Michigan without a lot of Michigan's issues. That's been pretty spot on so far, although Minnesota has many unique characteristics as well. We've been here a little over a year and have already bought a home.

Atlanta was great once upon a time but just got too big too fast. Horrible planning and infrastructure for a town of that size. Beautiful, though.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 AM

776 posts, read 1,064,425 times
Not sure why it is a gross exaggeration.... I grew up there, and it was actually very common to see the snow start flying in October. My birthday is at he end of April and it was also very common to get snow still on my birthday. So let me count for a second.... Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March.... maybe April... so yeah 4-6 months and some of a 7th? Sound right? Oh and dont forget part off May some years.... Subzero temps mot of Jan and Feb and sometimes starting in late Dec. True...

Not trying to argue, but in True MN fashion, y'all just jumped on the defensive train. I understand though, My mother still will call me in the dead of winter complaining about the never ending freeze, dark skies, painful windchill etc and the go on to say something like.... "but it isnt that bad."

and for those who deny it..... google May Snowfall in MN and youll get about a thousand articles but here are a few from the last couple
and for the fun of it google October 1991 blizzard in MN.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...0503_snow.html
http://www.fox9.com/news/snow-is-sur...-its-minnesota
http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...orm/479763683/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul