Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:36 AM

225 posts, read 211,620 times

Advertisements

I have a few ideas but I was wondering if anyone very familiar with the area had any favorites?

Looking more in either Minneapolis or St. Paul but nearby areas are fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 AM

871 posts, read 1,089,092 times
The U of M has all kinds of programming, seminars, speeches, etc. open to the general public.

You may also be interested in the Open Book Center Open Book | A Home for Literary and Book Arts as a unique literary resource in the Twin Cities.

I tend to follow arts/culture/literary events more than STEM-related topics so I don't have much guidance to offer there.

If you could give examples of the kinds of things you're looking for it might jog my memory of similar things you can find here.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
Minneapolis Women's Club
The Woman's Club of Minneapolis*View Monthly Calendar

Minnesota History Center (St. Paul)
Events | Minnesota History Center | MNHS

Westminster Town Hall Forum (Westminster Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis)
Westminster Town Hall Forum

St. Kate's
https://www.stkate.edu/news-and-events/events/

The University of Minnesota (this is one site, but each college may have stuff not included here)
https://events.umn.edu/Online/defaul...B-806E86BAE64F

TEDX Minneapolis (only meeting dates scheduled for 2019)
https://www.ted.com/tedx/events/32652

TEDX Hamline (only meeting dates scheduled for 2019)
https://www.ted.com/tedx/events/32086

Book Readings/Discussion
twin cities literary calendar | Rain Taxi

City Pages has a nice calendar
Minneapolis and St. Paul Events Calendar and Things To Do 2019 | City Pages[]=All%20Events

Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks you two. I knew this forum would know of some places I hadn't heard of.

Thedosius, any and all are fine. Even cultural events are great too, as long as they have a more educational slant. I like U of M and MIA's stuff but I'm sure there are other places that are different but just as noteworthy.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM

WonderWoody (WW) made several great suggestions (particularly Westminster).

I'd also add one of my favorite institutions in the Twin Cities - the Walker Art Center. There Out There performance series regularly has shows that are the highlight of the year for me.

https://walkerart.org/calendar?type=performances

The Walker is not to be underestimated- it truly is a great resource recognized by the world wide art community - in fact, I was in Bordeaux, France in 1996 and one of the people I met there asked me where I was from and I said Minneapolis and he immediately raised his eyebrows and said "Walker Art Center???" and I said 'yes'. I was surprised....I was so used to people saying "PRINCE???".

There are also a multitude of great bookstores but my favorite (I call it my Jerusalem), is the Bookhouse in Dinkytown. https://www.bookhouseindinkytown.com/ I have frankly had to stop going because I have literally bought grocery bags full of books from there quite cheaply and (literally, again) have no more room for books in my own house.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 PM

178 posts, read 124,449 times
The Mill City Museum is a really unique and interesting place. And I love the History Theater in St Paul.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I'd also add one of my favorite institutions in the Twin Cities - the Walker Art Center. There Out There performance series regularly has shows that are the highlight of the year for me.

https://walkerart.org/calendar?type=performances

The Walker is not to be underestimated- it truly is a great resource recognized by the world wide art community
I've probably been underestimating it. A couple of people mentioned it early on and I thought it seemed like nothing new. But I'll have to check it out more thoroughly now.

I have so many bookstores to visit as well. Dinky may be lacking in my favorite categories if their online stuff is a good indication. This may not be a bad thing if your experience is typical!

Old 01-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
The Mill City Museum is a really unique and interesting place. And I love the History Theater in St Paul.
Good suggestion on the second. I visited the Mill City Museum before I moved here and thought it was pretty fun. I loved the on site "ruins", the elevator movie, and the view from the top floor.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I've probably been underestimating it. A couple of people mentioned it early on and I thought it seemed like nothing new. But I'll have to check it out more thoroughly now.

I have so many bookstores to visit as well. Dinky may be lacking in my favorite categories if their online stuff is a good indication. This may not be a bad thing if your experience is typical!
For myself, I've gotten a lot more from the performances and events than the exhibits but obviously that's a pretty subjective perspective.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 PM

587 posts, read 563,018 times
When we moved here in 2017, we became members of the Minnesota Historical Society. We’ve been visiting the sites and it was well worth the price we paid for membership.

Minnesota Historical Society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul