Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 01:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,097,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Lots of trolls on these boards lately. Please see the sign saying "Do not feed the trolls".
I was actually making a serious inquiry about what that incoherent post even meant; normally trolls speak clear English.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:32 AM

170 posts, read 177,459 times
1. Minneapolis is the Worst Sports Town in America according to the Washington Post.

2. Minneapolis is the Worst City In Minnesota To Live In according to 24/7 Wall Street.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,457,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
1. Minneapolis is the Worst Sports Town in America according to the Washington Post.

2. Minneapolis is the Worst City In Minnesota To Live In according to 24/7 Wall Street.
East coast publications telling the world all about Minnesota. Totally legitimate sources.

Minneapolis is not even close to being the worst sports town. I lived in Atlanta and Houston, where 50% of the fans at games are supporters of the opposing team. Same for all the Florida sports cities.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 AM

542 posts, read 449,725 times
Quote:

It could always be worse...We could be living in Wisconsin and obsess about Minnesota. Wisconsin is like the ugly stepchild who wears Aunt Mable's clothes that don't fit and smells like Limburg Cheese.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,488,700 times
Quote:

Huh.

Strange.

Know what's strange? The fact that Minneapolis isn't even on 24/7 Wall St.'s list of 50 Worst Cities to Live In. Not #1. Nowhere at all. It's almost like you totally made this up.
https://247wallst.com/special-report...-live-in-3/11/

I can't figure out what's dumber - that you decided to lie online about the rankings of an online website... or that fact that you went with the obviously false claim of #1. I mean, that's a stupefyingly obvious lie. Even by troll standards, you stand out as exceptionally half-assed.

It must really, really frustrate you that Minneapolis is far more popular than you desperately want it to be.

PS - I see from your posting stats that you're from our neighbor to the east. I see Milwaukee makes 24/7's top 10 worst cities to live in. You know, that list that doesn't have any Minnesota cities in its entirety? How sad is it that you're over there, so fixated on Minnesota that you're reduced to making up obviously false claims, out of some sad sense of jealousy and envy? Pretty damn sad, I'd say!

Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 AM

7,735 posts, read 6,480,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I will highlight my negatives because you asked me to. Note that I do love the Twin Cities and I have a much larger list of things I like about the city

1) weather- I know you said "besides the weather," but it's a big one. Opposed to places like Denver for instance, our snowfall stays all winter due to the incredibly low temperatures. We're also hotter in the summer than some expect. A certain percentage of people actually enjoy the winters (more than summers), however many slug their way through winter begrudgingly, mainly due to the "pros" you mentioned above.
1a) poor condition of the roads, brought on by harsh winters and heaving salting

2) MN nice personalities - this has been beaten to death here, but for good reason. Very difficult for transplants to assimilate and adjust to. In comparison to much of the rest of the country, we are insular and just not very inviting. Generally speaking most of my neighbors don't wave, I've never been into a neighbors house despite having many over to mine in attempts to build a relationship. You CAN make deep relationships, but if you thrive on one off conversations at the park/mailbox/grocery store, exchanges that go beyond talking about the weather or the Vikings, or spontaneous hangouts with the new people you just met, it's not the city for you

3)Lack of driving proximity to different terrain - with a few small exceptions like the MN river valley or the north shore, one must drive a long ways to feel like you're in a different environment (6.5 hrs to Chicago, 9 hrs to the black hills for instance). Having lived on the east coast, one can take a weekend roadtrip and be in an entirely different culture

4)Mosquitos - not exclusive to MN at all, but a con nonetheless

5)Higher taxes - I am not a proponent of bigger gov't, however I do think we are one of the few states where you can see the fruits of those higher taxes at work to a greater degree.

Gonna disagree with all of these. The weather is one of my favourite things about Minnesota and it's not even that extreme. It's just a four seasons climate typical of the north, with colder winters than most of the country but not by an extreme amount either. For reference, I grew up in South Florida and hate the weather down there. The longer the part of the year where I can see my own breath, the better. Just my opinion.

I dont agree about "neighbours dont wave" or anything like that. I only been here since Aug 2017 and I have not only met some of my neighbour's I have been to at least to of their homes. One of them has helped me out with a LOT and acted pretty much as an aunt, another one fixed my lawn mower for free, another has invited me to parties. Maybe what you describe is a Minneapolis issue but its not a universal Minnesota or Saint Paul issue. However I am also an introverted person by nature so I fit in here. In comparison, my neighbours in Texas were either crazy hicks or I didnt know them at all. (Texas is way too big to generalise, so I am not doing that) and my beighbours in Florida, we WERE friendly with until the mid-2000s. After that, everyone became insular. Most of my family in Florida doesnt even talk to their neighbours anymore.

Not sure what you mean by the third one. What different terrain do you need? Minnesota has beautiful terrain as it is with all our lakes and forests. And then you bring up cultures. Yes the east coast does have closer variety of cultures due to population density but is the terrain really that radically different from northern Virginia northern New Jersey compared to Minneapolia and Duluth for example? Terrain is gradual everywhere east of the Rockies. Unless theres a friggin mountain in the way.

As a southerner, mosquitoes and ROACHES (which I havent seen here yet) are a way bigger problem in most of the country than here. Yes, we got mosquitoes... so does Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, etc. in WAY longer seasons. Mosquito season doesnt really end in Florida like it does in MN. I betcha that by October you wont see many of any mosquitoes but they will still be plenty down south.

And taxes havent hurt the west coast have they? I mean... not substantially. If the services are good which they are here, taxes arent a big deal. People want the roads plowed ASAP after a blizzard but they want low taxes. Cant have your cake and eat it too, buster.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Gonna disagree with all of these. The weather is one of my favourite things about Minnesota and it's not even that extreme. It's just a four seasons climate typical of the north, with colder winters than most of the country but not by an extreme amount either. For reference, I grew up in South Florida and hate the weather down there. The longer the part of the year where I can see my own breath, the better. Just my opinion.

I dont agree about "neighbours dont wave" or anything like that. I only been here since Aug 2017 and I have not only met some of my neighbour's I have been to at least to of their homes. One of them has helped me out with a LOT and acted pretty much as an aunt, another one fixed my lawn mower for free, another has invited me to parties. Maybe what you describe is a Minneapolis issue but its not a universal Minnesota or Saint Paul issue. However I am also an introverted person by nature so I fit in here. In comparison, my neighbours in Texas were either crazy hicks or I didnt know them at all. (Texas is way too big to generalise, so I am not doing that) and my beighbours in Florida, we WERE friendly with until the mid-2000s. After that, everyone became insular. Most of my family in Florida doesnt even talk to their neighbours anymore.

Not sure what you mean by the third one. What different terrain do you need? Minnesota has beautiful terrain as it is with all our lakes and forests. And then you bring up cultures. Yes the east coast does have closer variety of cultures due to population density but is the terrain really that radically different from northern Virginia northern New Jersey compared to Minneapolia and Duluth for example? Terrain is gradual everywhere east of the Rockies. Unless theres a friggin mountain in the way.

As a southerner, mosquitoes and ROACHES (which I havent seen here yet) are a way bigger problem in most of the country than here. Yes, we got mosquitoes... so does Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, etc. in WAY longer seasons. Mosquito season doesnt really end in Florida like it does in MN. I betcha that by October you wont see many of any mosquitoes but they will still be plenty down south.

And taxes havent hurt the west coast have they? I mean... not substantially. If the services are good which they are here, taxes arent a big deal. People want the roads plowed ASAP after a blizzard but they want low taxes. Cant have your cake and eat it too, buster.
"Buster?"

YOU may like MN weather, but to claim that it's not extreme would be false. A 65 degree range from Jan avg high to July is fairly extreme. I too would not like Florida's weather. Same with taxes, factually MN has higher taxes....which many believe HAS hurt the west coast, just talk to some people in California or NJ what they think about high taxes. I did call out that I feel MN spends them better than other states

As for terrain, MN is a flatter state, much of which doesn't look too different from the surrounding states. Compared to other areas of the country I've lived in, you can't just hop in a car and drive 4 hours and feel like you're in a completely different place with the exception of the North shore. In two other places I've lived, NJ and ATL, a four hour car ride gets to to different terrain and in many cases a different culture as well. I didn't personally feel as though MN offered the same?

As I read your post, defending mosquitos, MN winter's, and higher taxes is going to be an uphill battle. I can't imagine the chamber of commerce ever trying to advertise those.

Just to reiterate what I said before, I love MN overall.

Honest question, if not mosquitos, January, and taxes, what are your least favorite aspects of MN?

Last edited by Citykid3785; 09-01-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 03:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
It could always be worse...We could be living in Wisconsin and obsess about Minnesota. Wisconsin is like the ugly stepchild who wears Aunt Mable's clothes that don't fit and smells like Limburg Cheese.
How ironic that just last night I was at a St. Paul Saints game (visiting family) and had an enjoyable time. However, they made one of these dumb Wisconsin jokes that one of my companions thought was hilarious. This "Minnesota is better than Wisconsin" crap is childish and provincial. Do you know how it sounds to people from other states, who have no skin in this game? It sounds like "My dad can beat up your dad".

Old 09-01-2018, 04:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How ironic that just last night I was at a St. Paul Saints game (visiting family) and had an enjoyable time. However, they made one of these dumb Wisconsin jokes that one of my companions thought was hilarious. This "Minnesota is better than Wisconsin" crap is childish and provincial. Do you know how it sounds to people from other states, who have no skin in this game? It sounds like "My dad can beat up your dad".
They do the same thing with Mpls is better than St Paul (or vice versa). I always thought that was childish. Human nature I guess or at least some just will never grow up.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:57 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Lighten up, Francis. It’s just good-natured ribbing and it happens all across the country. I grew up with Ohio jokes. No one takes it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul