Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call it today?
Lake Bde Maka Ska 10 25.64%
Lake Calhoun 29 74.36%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:01 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I oppose the name change because it allows white liberals to assuage their guilt with a symbolic gesture without doing anything personally that makes a meaningful impact on the extreme poverty that plagues the Indian reservations in Minnesota. It’s just empty, meaningless virtue signaling.
virtue signaling = hydrogen monoxide

I confess to great amusement at the notion of virtue signaling. It's one of those meaningless phrases that describes nothing but what is obvious and ubiquitous - which is why it's so meaningless.

Why do we assign any geographic feature or city or structure a particular name? Because we are striving to associate ourselves with the virtues represented by said name. Why did I attend a Washington Elementary School? Why is there a state called Washington? Why not a Benedict Arnold Elementary School or the State of Arnold? Because we uphold the virtues of George Washington and decry those of Benedict Arnold. Did you know that at West Point - which, before it was the United States Military Academy, was a fort of strategic importance during the War of Independence - there is a plaque for every single general who served the patriot cause during the War? Benedict Arnold, before he conspired to betray West Point to the British, was an accomplished strategist as a genral officer under Washington. Anyway, one plaque has no name. It simply lists a rank and a birth year. That's the United States Army very clearly sending a message, namely that Arnold is is so beneath contempt that he will not be named. Signaling, you might say. What you would call 'virtue signaling'.

What is the purpose of bumperstickers with the names of politicians? Trump? Sanders? They associate the virtues of politicians with the driver of the vehicle. This is not entirely self-centered. Basically, they say "Hey, I'm a Trump (or Sanders) guy. We're out here. Come and be one of us. If Trump (or Bernie) is good enough for me, then he's good enough for you. Come on in, the water's fine!". That's how persuasion works.

I went to George Washington Elementary because the local powers wanted to imbue us students with the virtues of George Washington. That's why there will never be a Charles Manson Elementary. And the politicians that come up with names are most certainly signaling with the names they propose. Are you really so naive as to think otherwise? The MAGA hat? The Feel The Bern t-shirts? A crucifix worn around the neck for all to see? The peace symbol? Those are all examples of what you vapidly call 'virtue signaling'.

I know you didn't come up with the 'virtue signaling' soundbite, Glenfield. No, you just heard it from Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity, or maybe read it on Breitbart, and are now dutifully regurgitating it because it allows you to rationalize the exceptionally self-centered notion that when you and like-minded people have no issue with a re-naming (Pig's Eyes/St. Paul, Clay/Reagan, etc.) then that re-naming is of the purest motives, but when those dastardly liberals do it then it's for tainted purposes.

Oh. I almost forgot. Dihydrogen monoxide. There is occasionally a (satirical) article direly warning of the dangers of this chemical. It's an industrial solvent. It can cause severe burns. It's the major cause of erosion. In quantity it is toxic. It's corrosive. It's a component of all junk foods. It's present in all known tumors. It is...
Spoiler
water

Again...
virtue signaling = dihydrogen monoxide

If you'd bothered to actually consider the laughable premise of 'virtue signaling' as anything other than a lofty name for an obvious and omnipresent feature of humanity, you might have avoided attaching yourself to the equivalent of the subject of an Onion article.

Hey, better luck next time!

PS - You know what else is a very clear example of signaling? Those who object particularly to changing the appelations of those things named after historical figures whose primary historical contributions were in the cause of the institution of slavery. That's some intense signaling there. But I wouldn't call it virtuous.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
virtue signaling = hydrogen monoxide

I confess to great amusement at the notion of virtue signaling. It's one of those meaningless phrases that describes nothing but what is obvious and ubiquitous - which is why it's so meaningless.

Why do we assign any geographic feature or city or structure a particular name? Because we are striving to associate ourselves with the virtues represented by said name. Why did I attend a Washington Elementary School? Why is there a state called Washington? Why not a Benedict Arnold Elementary School or the State of Arnold? Because we uphold the virtues of George Washington and decry those of Benedict Arnold. Did you know that at West Point - which, before it was the United States Military Academy, was a fort of strategic importance during the War of Independence - there is a plaque for every single general who served the patriot cause during the War? Benedict Arnold, before he conspired to betray West Point to the British, was an accomplished strategist as a genral officer under Washington. Anyway, one plaque has no name. It simply lists a rank and a birth year. That's the United States Army very clearly sending a message, namely that Arnold is is so beneath contempt that he will not be named. Signaling, you might say. What you would call 'virtue signaling'.

What is the purpose of bumperstickers with the names of politicians? Trump? Sanders? They associate the virtues of politicians with the driver of the vehicle. This is not entirely self-centered. Basically, they say "Hey, I'm a Trump (or Sanders) guy. We're out here. Come and be one of us. If Trump (or Bernie) is good enough for me, then he's good enough for you. Come on in, the water's fine!". That's how persuasion works.

I went to George Washington Elementary because the local powers wanted to imbue us students with the virtues of George Washington. That's why there will never be a Charles Manson Elementary. And the politicians that come up with names are most certainly signaling with the names they propose. Are you really so naive as to think otherwise? The MAGA hat? The Feel The Bern t-shirts? A crucifix worn around the neck for all to see? The peace symbol? Those are all examples of what you vapidly call 'virtue signaling'.

I know you didn't come up with the 'virtue signaling' soundbite, Glenfield. No, you just heard it from Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity, or maybe read it on Breitbart, and are now dutifully regurgitating it because it allows you to rationalize the exceptionally self-centered notion that when you and like-minded people have no issue with a re-naming (Pig's Eyes/St. Paul, Clay/Reagan, etc.) then that re-naming is of the purest motives, but when those dastardly liberals do it then it's for tainted purposes.

Oh. I almost forgot. Dihydrogen monoxide. There is occasionally a (satirical) article direly warning of the dangers of this chemical. It's an industrial solvent. It can cause severe burns. It's the major cause of erosion. In quantity it is toxic. It's corrosive. It's a component of all junk foods. It's present in all known tumors. It is...
Spoiler
water

Again...
virtue signaling = dihydrogen monoxide

If you'd bothered to actually consider the laughable premise of 'virtue signaling' as anything other than a lofty name for an obvious and omnipresent feature of humanity, you might have avoided attaching yourself to the equivalent of the subject of an Onion article.

Hey, better luck next time!

PS - You know what else is a very clear example of signaling? Those who object particularly to changing the appelations of those things named after historical figures whose primary historical contributions were in the cause of the institution of slavery. That's some intense signaling there. But I wouldn't call it virtuous.
Perhaps never have more words been used to say so little.

People know what is meant by the term virtue signaling and I was clear that it was the act of changing the name that was a meaningless gesture, not the name itself.

Sorry you were left out of the loop. Here, play catch up.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...e%20Signalling

PS The H2O thing is old. It also has nothing to do with the discussion.

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-08-2019 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Does anyone else think that Bde Maka Ska is simply an awesome name? Calhoun is fine and all, but it doesn't point to anything particularly unique to Minneapolis or Minnesota. Calhoun doesn't seem particularly Minnesotan or Minneapolitan in name. I say take the name and then make a navel-gazing ska music revivalist genre out of it. Its overdue for a fourth wave anyhow.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Putting aside your peurile DEMZ R A BUNCH O' COMMIEZ!!! juvenilia, I'm pretty sure your imaginary 90% of 100 people - as well as Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez - also support government airports. And Daylight Saving Time. And vaccinations. So we're agreed that airports and DST and vaccines are communist plots? I imagine that not a one of them wants to change St. Paul back to Pig's Eye. So anyone who supports keeping the name St. Paul is a commie, right? Again, that's your logic. And all those Alaskans who embrace the name Denali, they're reds too? Your logic, not mine. I'm only applying it.

You're another one who can't be bothered to pause for even the briefest of moments to consider whether whatever thought flits through your mind actually makes any sense.

PS - The fact that you think this somehow relates to sexual orientation speaks volumes. But only about you.

Ah, yes, the Slippery Slope Fallacy makes an appearance! That was probably inevitable. You know, it's called a 'fallacy' for a reason.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

The problem here is that... well, name-changes don't 'lead' to some inevitable vast slew of more name changes. How do we know this? For some rather obvious historical reasons of which you are clearly ignorant.

Q: What was the most widespread spate of name-changes in American history?
A: World War I.

Places with German names dropped like flies. Berlin, Iowa? It became Lincoln. Berlin, Michigan? It became Marne. Berlin, Ontario? It became Kitchener (yep, our friends to the north got into the act - removing German names was big in Australia, too). Frankfurt Streets and Bismarck Avenues fell by the wayside. And, rather infamously, sauerkraut became liberty cabbage. Slippery slope! Where does it end? Well, it ended. The war ended and we stopped scrubbing German names. Liberty cabbage became sauerkraut again. There wasn't a spart of food name changes (the idiotic 'freedom fries' nonsense wouldn't happen for another 80+ years - be honest, you loved that idiocy, didn't you?).

In a nutshell, the idea if we rename a place then we'll have to rename every place is ... well, laughable. That's why the idea is widely known as a fallacy. I guess you didn't get the memo. As if one needs a memo to figure out something so abundantly obvious.

PS - I love how you've decided that we must keep the name Lake Calhoun or else the United States will cease to be a superpower. You really want to associate yourself with an assertion that inane? (rhetorical question: I already know the answer)

PPS - 'the minority'? Oh, right. I momentarily forgot why Calhoun is such a hero to you - the only thing that terrifies you more than Lenin is brown people.
Dude, your thoughts are cluttered and you’re going nowhere with your little essay of liberal knowledge . Maybe someday you will grow the F^^ck up.

These hipsters-liberals (not talking to you-2x2x2=hipster, just generalizing to the forum now, you can go away, thanks) are all the same in dress and thought .All look the same: skinny jeans, flannel , oversized glasses, maybe something “edgy “ printed on their T-shirt and that egotistical attitude toward anyone who doesn’t agree with them (not very liberal of them).
The thought process of the hipster is not that hard to dissect either :
*They're conditioned to be for illegal immigration , but cannot comprehend a friendship with the opposite race because they>(hipsters) have no personality to do so /and scarred to actually walk up to a man not in tight jeans.
*They get offended for people they don’t even know because it’s in their anti conservative handbook.
*they are programmed to go against everything the “evil white man” says.
*But, the worst thing about the hipster is their total disregard for logic and common sense.

I can go on and on , but I’m waisting real life time outside with my family , instead of being on computer right now. Something the hipster doesn’t understand. See, they like pretending to be tough online while the real world passes by their bedroom windows , in their moms basement.

Last edited by Steamhammer; 07-08-2019 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 06:48 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Dude, your thoughts are cluttered and you’re going nowhere with your little essay of liberal knowledge . Maybe someday you will grow the F^^ck up.

These hipsters-liberals (not talking to you-2x2x2=hipster, just generalizing to the forum now, you can go away, thanks) are all the same in dress and thought .All look the same: skinny jeans, flannel , oversized glasses, maybe something “edgy “ printed on their T-shirt and that egotistical attitude toward anyone who doesn’t agree with them (not very liberal of them).
The thought process of the hipster is not that hard to dissect either :
*They're conditioned to be for illegal immigration , but cannot comprehend a friendship with the opposite race because they>(hipsters) have no personality to do so /and scarred to actually walk up to a man not in tight jeans.
*They get offended for people they don’t even know because it’s in their anti conservative handbook.
*they are programmed to go against everything the “evil white man” says.
*But, the worst thing about the hipster is their total disregard for logic and common sense.

I can go on and on , but I’m waisting real life time outside with my family , instead of being on computer right now. Something the hipster doesn’t understand. See, they like pretending to be tough online while the real world passes by their bedroom windows , in their moms basement.
That sounds like you have a firmly set stereotype. That’s exciting!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Calhoun.

But I still call the supermarket in my hometown by my middle school "Tropical Supermarket," even though they changed the name sometime in the mid-2000s.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 AM

64 posts, read 40,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That sounds like you have a firmly set stereotype. That’s exciting!
I expect he's too busy leading his MRA and PUA groups to respond.

I think he also has a wwebsite on the internet.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post

Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post

I, like I'm sure most everyone else that read your post, had to look up what your group's initials were. I didn't think you were putting down Steamhammer for being a Market Research Analyst (only thing off the cuff I could think of).

Posting your knowledge of such groups says more about you.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:33 PM

64 posts, read 40,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I, like I'm sure most everyone else that read your post, had to look up what your group's initials were. I didn't think you were putting down Steamhammer for being a Market Research Analyst (only thing off the cuff I could think of).

Posting your knowledge of such groups says more about you.
Yes. Literate, pays attention to things outside himself, acknowleges the bad things other people do. Educated, even! Thanks for noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul