Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 AM

437 posts, read 547,904 times

Advertisements

If you were living right near where all the stuff is happening what would you do? Would you stay and hope it eventually blows over or haul ass and what area would you leave to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,978 times
I live here and see no reason to leave.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM

202 posts, read 429,360 times
i already left and would see no reason to move back to the city proper. MPLS peaked in 2018. its done now. used up. had its moment and now just a former shell of its previous self. 90's MPLS was legendary mate. including into the early 2000 to mid 2000's. tapered off in 2010 and went thru some major changes and now is just a sad shadow of what could have been. its sad that the politics of the region was its downfall as its a beautiful and great city, or was i shoud say. theres still some shine there but its covered in dirt. its the blueprint of whats happening across the nation. communist destruction

Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 AM

10 posts, read 11,167 times
I also moved out of mpls, but 10 years ago. Was thinking about coming back recently, but nah. One of the highest tax rates for one of the most incompetently run cities that literally enables mob a rule, a different state can have my income tax.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:01 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
If you were living right near where all the stuff is happening what would you do? Would you stay and hope it eventually blows over or haul ass and what area would you leave to?
Easy, just head to where the vast majority of twin-citians reside....THE SUBURBS.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:42 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Easy, just head to where the vast majority of twin-citians reside....THE SUBURBS.
The country isn’t an option for us right now and we might consider the suburbs again but think they combine the worst aspects of city and country living. They have the long travel distances and inconvenience of the country with the traffic congestion and crowded conditions of the city.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:23 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The country isn’t an option for us right now and we might consider the suburbs again but think they combine the worst aspects of city and country living. They have the long travel distances and inconvenience of the country with the traffic congestion and crowded conditions of the city.
I live 7.3 miles and 11 min drive from my house to downtown Mpls. 11 miles and 13 min drive to downtown St Paul. I’ll never live in Mpls again. The city of St Anthony is 200 ft from me, you can’t buy a house for less then $325k there, it’s basically a nicer version of NE. I always thought it was just a neighborhood of Mpls.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:57 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Add to it the Metropolitan Council. If concern about idiotic progressive mismanagement warrants a move to the suburbs, then the Twin Cities is somewhat unique in the nation with the Met Council. The suburbs may not be far enough.

"The Metropolitan Council, commonly abbreviated Met Council or Metro Council, is the regional governmental agency and metropolitan planning organization in Minnesota serving the Twin Cities seven-county metropolitan area, accounting for over 55 percent of the state's population. The Met Council is granted regional authority powers in state statutes by the Minnesota Legislature. These powers are unique in that unlike the Regional Development Commissions they can supersede decisions and actions of local governments."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Council

The "woke" mind virus that directly led to Minneapolis burning can find it's way to the suburbs also.

My family has finally all emigrated out into Kanabec, Pine and Stearns counties.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:50 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
As Tim writes, the vast majority of Twin Citians are outside of Minneapolis and St Paul. We who live here know this. The "Twin Cities" is about 4 million people across the entire metro area, of which about 650-to-700k live in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Quote:
Can vouch for Glenfield on the commute. I am (obviously) in Woodbury and was in Eagan before that, commuting into Minneapolis daily. The rush hour traffic is getting worse, even in the best of weather. Mostly, IMO, because of poor initial design and not keeping pace with population. And it will only get worse as the population of the seven-county metro (which does not include the thousands of Wisconsin residents who commute into the seven county metro daily for work) continues to grow.

Part of it - from the east and south - is that you have to cross rivers and there are only so many bridges, which become pinch points for traffic. But that gets back to poor design and lack of planning. Much of what is on the other side of rivers from the downtowns did not develop until the '60s and after. There were towns, but most of Eagan, Woodbury, Cottage Grove, Rosemount, Apple Valley, etc. was farm land that is now housing and development.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:06 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
When I mentioned the congestion, I wasn’t referring to the commute— though that was terrible— as much as the traffic within the suburbs. I’ve lived in Minnetonka and Plymouth and Hwys 7 and 55 were a nightmare. Lots of cars, long, long lights and when traffic moved for the 1/2 mile until the next light, it did so at dangerously high speeds. And you had to drive everywhere because nothing was within walking distance. Drove me bonkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul