Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 4,300 times

Advertisements

I'm new to buying a home and spent about a week with a realtor (Realtor A). I am no longer actively looking for a home, but have a good friend (Realtor B) who is a licensed realtor and said he would let me know if he saw anything that looked good for me, and would take me with him so I can get to know the neighborhoods and home values so when I'm ready - I'll be better educated.

The problem . . . I signed a contract for 'exclusive right to represent buyer' with Realtor A (I was foolish to not know what I was signing - we never discussed it and it was thrown in an electronic bunch of forms)- and now I'm locked in for 5 months. Realtor A told me that she won't let me out of the contract unless I get Realtor B to agree to a referral fee. I'm not understanding what this is, but it is not sitting well with me.

Is this normal? It feels icky. Why would she get a referral fee if there was no referral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 AM

190 posts, read 75,155 times
Since you signed the contract, you have to honor it. How much is the fee? Have you told your friend? He would know if there’s anything you can do. How did realtor A find out about who realtor B is?

Old 08-17-2020, 06:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
use Realtor B but keep rejecting everything they show you for the next 5 months

Old 08-17-2020, 09:45 AM

I guess I'm not sure why she would want a referral fee when there was no referral. I was honest with her and told her I'm not actively looking and that I have a close friend who offered to help me (who is licensed) when I am ready to look again.

Legally, I have to honor the contract. I understand that. But it's not uncommon for people to "break up with" their realtors and many realtors will sign a cancel-type contract - no problem.

I did not understand her wanting a referral fee and telling me she will give me what I want (out of the contract) once she gets that referral fee. It feels like she is keeping me hostage.

She explained that she wants to get paid for her work.

Since I'm in no hurry to buy a home, I will do exactly what was mentioned. Simply wait until the 5 months are up.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:26 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
use Realtor B but keep rejecting everything they show you for the next 5 months
Realtor "B" is his friend he seems to want to use.

There is a Real Estate sub forum here at City Data that may be more helpful to your particular situation.

Post there perhaps.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/

Old 08-17-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you!

Old 08-17-2020, 01:54 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
If you really want to screw over realtor A, have her keep showing you homes for 5 months and then sign on and buy from realtor B. She wants to be paid for her time, good luck with that. She’s not selling your home, so she doesn’t have any real money involved in it, she didn’t pay to get it advertised, staged, open houses, etc...

Old 08-17-2020, 04:24 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If you really want to screw over realtor A, have her keep showing you homes for 5 months and then sign on and buy from realtor B. She wants to be paid for her time, good luck with that. She’s not selling your home, so she doesn’t have any real money involved in it, she didn’t pay to get it advertised, staged, open houses, etc...
We’ve used a buyer’s agent before and it’s standard contract language that they are legally your agent for any purchase made during the contract period. Her commission would be a split of the seller’s agent’s commission. Agent B is not going to represent him while he’s under contract with agent A. It would be unethical and lead to a legal headache that Agent B could surely do without.

OP hired Agent A and signed the contract. Agent A will let him out of the contract but she has shown him properties and, according to the OP, put at least a week into the effort. Asking to be compensated for that time and effort seems very fair, especially when she could just tell the OP to go pound sand.

I’m not sure why some of you see Agent A as the bad guy here. The OP was sloppy and doesn’t want to pay the price for his sloppiness. I am totally unsympathetic to him.

Last edited by Glenfield; 08-17-2020 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 06:51 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We’ve used a buyer’s agent before and it’s standard contract language that they are legally your agent for any purchase made during the contract period. Her commission would be a split of the seller’s agent’s commission. Agent B is not going to represent him while he’s under contract with agent A. It would be unethical and lead to a legal headache that Agent B could surely do without.

OP hired Agent A and signed the contract. Agent A will let him out of the contract but she has shown him properties and, according to the OP, put at least a week into the effort. Asking to be compensated for that time and effort seems very fair, especially when she could just tell the OP to go pound sand.

I’m not sure why some of you see Agent A as the bad guy here. The OP was sloppy and doesn’t want to pay the price for his sloppiness. I am totally unsympathetic to him.
I agree about all of it, I also don’t understand the OP’s not liking realtor A. Realtor A should also realize her new client isn’t going to work and cut your loses and move on. If she’s half decent at her job, she’ll already have many other clients she’s already working with. I have clients who each owe me up to $1k and I realized long ago I’m not getting paid. I move on and go make more money elsewhere. It’s a part of business.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I agree about all of it, I also don’t understand the OP’s not liking realtor A. Realtor A should also realize her new client isn’t going to work and cut your loses and move on. If she’s half decent at her job, she’ll already have many other clients she’s already working with. I have clients who each owe me up to $1k and I realized long ago I’m not getting paid. I move on and go make more money elsewhere. It’s a part of business.
I think she has cut her losses and isn’t putting more effort into it. If the OP wants her to take the time to cancel the contract, he’ll need to make sure she gets paid is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul