Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 02:24 PM

148 posts, read 234,552 times

Advertisements

Moving to the area and considering a place directly by the State Fair (like RIGHT by the State Fair off W Fair Pl and Snelling). I know someone from the Twin Cities who says it’s good over there but I don’t know if that’s held up over time. Any thoughts or things to know? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 11:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,285 times
The neighborhoods directly surrounding the state fairgrounds are all pretty sleepy but generally upscale. Como Park (which is a classic Victorian Era flagship city park with big attractions) is a very desirable area just a stone's throw away from the fairgrounds.

That being said, residents of the area are usually heavily burdened during the weeks of the Minnesota State Fair. Each year there are millions of visitors, so I'm sure you can imagine what late summer is like surrounding the fairgrounds. Traffic in the area is generally gridlocked at the time and a lot of residents in the area open their lawns and driveways for parking, which can make it a waking nightmare trying to get in and out if you live there.

If you're willing to deal with the extreme disruption and gridlock during state fair times, it may be worth considering if you otherwise like the area.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info! We did end up going forward with it for now — as you said, it seems like a nice enough area and we’ll just have to deal with the Fair as it comes.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:10 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Nice, sleepy, working class....

Falcon Heights isn't really known for much. It's kind of a combination of urban and suburban, with many of the retail shopping centers built decades ago, so for MN it has that older feel.

Como zoo nearby is nice, and as another mentioned you will feel burdened by local traffic during a two week period encompassing the fair.

I don't think you have any major concerns to worry about. It's also close to the UofM which may or may not matter to you.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:09 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
I grew up kinda by this area, I could ride my bike to the fair. I’d choose Falcon Heights over Como everyday. Both are nice areas. The whole area of fair to Como Zoo and then Falcon Heights to the north. The closer to main streets of Snelling and Larpenteur I’d avoid, but they aren’t bad. I looked at buying on Snelling across from fair, but so glad I didn’t. The fair would drive me nuts. Look at the street parking signs now to determine what fair parking will be like once it’s going on. The fair isn’t the only big event there either, back to 50’s car show is huge, so is Car Craft or whatever it might be called now. But really these are only 20 days at most.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:48 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I grew up kinda by this area, I could ride my bike to the fair. I’d choose Falcon Heights over Como everyday. Both are nice areas. The whole area of fair to Como Zoo and then Falcon Heights to the north. The closer to main streets of Snelling and Larpenteur I’d avoid, but they aren’t bad. I looked at buying on Snelling across from fair, but so glad I didn’t. The fair would drive me nuts. Look at the street parking signs now to determine what fair parking will be like once it’s going on. The fair isn’t the only big event there either, back to 50’s car show is huge, so is Car Craft or whatever it might be called now. But really these are only 20 days at most.

If you are looking in that general area, take a look at St. Anthony Park (not St. Anthony Main, which is in Minneapolis).

St. Anthony Park is to the west of Cleveland and the fairgrounds and University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus. Wonderful neighborhood, good schools, it's own little business section on Como between Doswell and Carter. The kind of place people do not move from but rather die there.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:54 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
If you are looking in that general area, take a look at St. Anthony Park (not St. Anthony Main, which is in Minneapolis).

St. Anthony Park is to the west of Cleveland and the fairgrounds and University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus. Wonderful neighborhood, good schools, it's own little business section on Como between Doswell and Carter. The kind of place people do not move from but rather die there.
Yep, this is a kinda hidden gem. We’d go through it going to the Group Health Como clinic. There’s a unique few streets neighborhood just to south of U of M golf course. A certain builder built it, have to see it to know what I’m talking about. I’m guessing it’s full of U professors.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:56 AM

147 posts, read 143,423 times
Gentrified in terms of price.
Not gentrified in terms of ammenities.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
Gentrified in terms of price.
Not gentrified in terms of ammenities.
By amenities you just mean shopping/nightlife/schools? It’s pretty close to Roseville for the former, at least.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,362 times
My wife owned a house in that neighborhood. Nice and pretty quiet, except, of course, for the State Fair (and Back to the 50s). You make your peace with it (and if you let people park on your lawn, you could make your mortgage payment with it lol). We sold that house only because the one I was in was a better choice for us then. But it would have been fine to live there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul