Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,266 times

Advertisements

Hi !
I am hoping for some help from you friendly folk of Minnesota.

New job is taking my family to Minneapolis/ST. Paul. We will be starting to house hunt very shortly.

We would love to be in an area that has a little more space, is family friendly and has good schools. Looking for a middle to upper middle class environment. Would appreciate and or all suggestions- even if less rural. The kids are 4, 7, & 9.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 02:02 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Where in the metro area is the job? And do you have to go in to an office?

North Metro has some very good schools such as the Mounds View school district (two high schools: Mounds View and Irondale), White Bear Lake, and several northwest metro areas (Anoka, Blaine, Maple Grove, Osseo, Fridley). It is just I wouldn't recommend any of those suburbs if your job is south of the Minnesota or Mississippi Rivers. Bridges become traffic choke points.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:07 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
I don't yet know the area as well as I'd like, but it sounds to me like the Medina area might fit the bill - just need to check what school district it's zoned to. Not an awful drive to Downtown if that's where the job is.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I don't yet know the area as well as I'd like, but it sounds to me like the Medina area might fit the bill - just need to check what school district it's zoned to. Not an awful drive to Downtown if that's where the job is.
I'm not sure I would categorize Medina as a fit for someone wanting a "middle to upper middle" class area. When I think Medina, I think of large, sprawling country estates with inground pools catering to the area's ultra-wealthy. A quick MLS search shows you can't find a SFH in Medina for less than $800K and most homes are selling for seven figures.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Where are you moving from?

If you're possibly going to be working in downtown Minneapolis, it'll be at least an hour commute if you want to live in a more "rural" area.

I'd suggest any of the suburbs along the Northstar Commuter Rail line, but Big Lake will probably be closest to what you're looking for.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:07 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I'm not sure I would categorize Medina as a fit for someone wanting a "middle to upper middle" class area. When I think Medina, I think of large, sprawling country estates with inground pools catering to the area's ultra-wealthy. A quick MLS search shows you can't find a SFH in Medina for less than $800K and most homes are selling for seven figures.
Depends how far out into the country you are. OP can probably find something suitable closer to Plymouth.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:29 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
If needing to be in either downtown for work, North Oaks would be perfect. Current prices are in $600k (the latest $600k range is pending) to $3.5m. Each lot is larger and city is private. All homes are on wells and septic and association fee of $113 per month for street plowing, maintenance, etc…90% of the city is thick woods with windy streets with no street lights. In a great school district too, Mounds View. The eastern part is in White Bear school district.

The western suburbs are where the wealth is at with Lake Minnetonka being the pinnacle. It’s why the new Ferrari dealership the Pohlad’s own along with a Bentley and Aston Martin are on freeway from Mpls to the west.

Old 07-06-2023, 12:28 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Where in the metro area is the job? And do you have to go in to an office?

North Metro has some very good schools such as the Mounds View school district (two high schools: Mounds View and Irondale), White Bear Lake, and several northwest metro areas (Anoka, Blaine, Maple Grove, Osseo, Fridley). It is just I wouldn't recommend any of those suburbs if your job is south of the Minnesota or Mississippi Rivers. Bridges become traffic choke points.
Teak's first question and last sentence are very important factors.

Rush hour commuting is not - IMO - back to pre-Covid levels. I drive across the metro in rush hour M, Th and F (east to west and back). So far, no real issues like pre-Covid (when the would be complete stops and slowdowns on 94) but it is increasing again.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If needing to be in either downtown for work, North Oaks would be perfect. Current prices are in $600k (the latest $600k range is pending) to $3.5m. Each lot is larger and city is private. All homes are on wells and septic and association fee of $113 per month for street plowing, maintenance, etc…90% of the city is thick woods with windy streets with no street lights. In a great school district too, Mounds View. The eastern part is in White Bear school district.

The western suburbs are where the wealth is at with Lake Minnetonka being the pinnacle. It’s why the new Ferrari dealership the Pohlad’s own along with a Bentley and Aston Martin are on freeway from Mpls to the west.
LOL North Oaks? OP is asking for middle or upper middle class areas.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:44 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
LOL North Oaks? OP is asking for middle or upper middle class areas.
^^^ Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Hodgson Road runs north and south between Shoreview (west side) and North Oaks (east side). On the Shoreview side, houses run $300k plus (and over $1m if on Turtle Lake), and on the North Oaks side, you would be hard pressed to find anything under $800k. This is for houses only a block or two away from Hodgson.

There is a nice price range for houses in Fridley, Spring Lake Park, New Brighton, and Lino Lakes, along with Shoreview, that are all within 20-25 minutes of the two downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul