Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 PM

25 posts, read 109,812 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research in preparation for my move to Minneapolis this summer. I've been very surprised at the difference between the asking price and the "market price" that the Hennepin County Tax Assessor's office lists.

There are a couple that have come in with an asking price that's actually lower than the HCTA lists. Most are about 10-15 percent higher than HCTA lists. I was also aghast to see some asking upwards of 200K MORE than HCTA lists for market price. Some of these folks bought their homes 1-2 years ago for under $400K and are trying to sell for close to $700K!

Glad it's a buyer's market! Folks, if you are buying make sure you find out how long the place has been on the market, how long they've had the place (and what they paid), if the price has been reduced once or more, and also if it's vacant. These are all aspects that allow buyers to negotiate from a position of strength.

Looking forward to getting a fab home at a great price!

Connor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,877 times
When a home is for sale, only one factor will determine its price. Only one. It is NOT some record in a county office, or what people tell you the property is worth (even a Realtor like me!), or what you paid for the property. None of it matters.

All that matters is what a buyer is willing to pay for the home. That's it. That's all there is - and that's all there ever will be.

When I price homes, I ask myself several questions. What kind of value will the area support? In which direction is the area heading? What is the maximum amount someone would pay to purchase my client's property? After asking these questions, I then do a profile of the buyer and go find that person.

The strongest data I have is what other homes in the area sold for. I hope this helps!

Robert
Robert@RobertPStewart.com

Old 02-01-2007, 05:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Every county does it's property tax assessing differently and it is not a good tool for pricing homes in most communities. It could very well be that some of those homes you see listed for way more then the tax assessed value have been completly remodeled and have not had an onsite inspection since, thus the low value.

Our house had an onsite inspection shortly after we moved in and the tax assessed value is still almost $50,000 then the appraised value of the home from May. For the homeowner this is a GOOD thing because we are actually paying less taxes this way. I am not about to complain about this!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 AM

Another thing to add is that the LAND value can significantly influence that tax rate as well-up or down. There are a couple houses not far from us that have an assessed value of around 1.8 million dollars. The houses themselves are about to fall down they are in such rotten shape but the LAND is worth a fortune.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Golfgal: totally right.

I've got 3 homes for sale in Mendota Heights - the houses themselves are not that nice, but the little lot they each sit on is going for $500K each.

I had a hard time assigning an asking price for those. Although the lots are relatively small and the houses nothing to write home about, there is *no* end to what that area will support. If you tear down the home and build a $5 million dollar home - congrats - you've got a $5 mil home.

This is the exception, not the rule. I base asking price on a value derived from what other similar homes have sold for.

Robert
Robert@RobertPStewart.com

Old 02-01-2007, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 62,382 times
Robert - I'm not really familiar with Mendota Heights at all and I don't know anything about it's neighborhoods. I have an in-law who routinely buys property and either remodels or tears down what's there, then sells for a profit. The only parts of town he can really make the numbers work is St. Louis Park, Edina, Mntka. Should he also be looking at Mendota Heights?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
Robert - I'm not really familiar with Mendota Heights at all and I don't know anything about it's neighborhoods. I have an in-law who routinely buys property and either remodels or tears down what's there, then sells for a profit. The only parts of town he can really make the numbers work is St. Louis Park, Edina, Mntka. Should he also be looking at Mendota Heights?

Mendota Heights is a pretty popular, pretty upper class area of the cities--more 'old money' like Edina vs the 'new money' like Eden Prairie. Stillwater would be another place for him to look for remodel flips--won't be able to tear down any older homes in Stillwater.

Um, Robert, did you notice, I was right again--I keep telling you, I am always right .

Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 109,812 times
Robert -- You are absolutely right about the "true" value of a home. It really is what the buyer will pay. I think sometimes buyers don't understand that they have a lot of power when it comes down to it.

My other favorite strategies for home buying:

- Start out by looking at houses that have been on the market for a long while. Those sellers are more eager to work with you on price.
-- Look for homes that have already had the asking price reduced once or more
-- Look for homes that are unoccupied. Those sellers most likely have two mortgages to pay and so are probably a bit more motivated.
-- If timing is flexible, look between Thanksgiving and March. Sellers are keeping their fingers crossed that ANY offer will come during that time frame.

I'm probably going to be looking for a crappy home in an A+ neighborhood. If I can get something $100K below my budget then spend money to make it truly fabulous, that would be perfect!

Best,
Connor

Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,942 times
Default Edina and Properties that Back on to Highway 100

I am looking at a property that backs on to 100. I was wondering what impact backing onto a highway has on a properties value. The house is great otherwise and I love to purchase it; however, the highway 100 issue worries me. In general, should someone be concerned about buying older properties in Edina (i.e., properties built in the 50s)?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 AM

I think I know the property you're talking about. Only a few on the market directly back up to 100. Should you be concerned about its effect on property values? Yes. I've had several clients pass up these homes (they didn't even want to go see them).

Should you be concerned about a home built in the 50's? No - not for that reason. You should be concerned about how the home has been taken care of for 50 years. The construction that I've seen, particularly in some of the classic neighborhoods like Morningside, are second to none. Those people knew how to build homes back then.

My opinion - if you really like the house on 100 and you want to live there, forget about what everyone else thinks. If you're also looking for investment potential and you want to sell in a few years and make some money, stay away.

By the way, the noise walls that the DOT puts up are largely useless. If this home has one (and I think most of them do), don't count on it to reduce the noise a great deal.

Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul