Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM

24 posts, read 97,171 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good place for hockey lessons for kids who have special needs such as ADHD, Autism spectrum, or physical/coordination disabilities in the MSP area? We need a teacher who has patience and is focused on skill development, not competitive drive. We are definitely NOT a hockey mom/dad, so we are out of the loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Do you specifically want hockey or just skating? I would start with the park and rec department in your town and see what they have. Most are going to have some beginner skating lessons for hockey and figure skating. You can call and ask about compatibility with a special needs child. Most of the larger school districts have some kind of adapted sports. I don't know that I have seen ice hockey as one of them but most have floor hockey. They might be a good resource for information though.

Also, since you are not hockey parents, keep in mind that hockey in MN is a way of life, not just an activity you do in your spare time.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofarkansas View Post
Does anyone know of a good place for hockey lessons for kids who have special needs such as ADHD, Autism spectrum, or physical/coordination disabilities in the MSP area? We need a teacher who has patience and is focused on skill development, not competitive drive. We are definitely NOT a hockey mom/dad, so we are out of the loop.
I don't know if I would consider Attention Deficit a serious problem but what your child has is none of my business.

I would direct you to minnesotahockey.org or highschoolhockeyforums.com (the Minnesota section). I'm a member of the latter. It's a decent forum and could be of consequence to your search.

It's a shame, me being an East Sider (arguably the most significant hockey community in the country - we produced an olympian every olympics from '60 to '80 and the most legendary coach in American history, Herb Brooks) to see it just deteriorate so exponentially since the times when I was a kid. It really was a way of life for any East Side kid back in the day but with the "white flight" and expenses of the sport it is dying in the entire Twin Cities.

Anyway, I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul