Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM

122 posts, read 224,574 times

Advertisements

I have a road test in Plymouth, MN. I will take 6 hours of training.

What can I expect?

Last edited by mv_2014; 10-08-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Changed Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Except, accept, or expect?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM

250 posts, read 991,681 times
From my experience, you will expect to do lots of memorization. Like, no parking within 30 feet of a stop sign, what's the speed limit if it isn't posted, how to parallel park...and so on. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 AM

122 posts, read 224,574 times
Thanks Sarah.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 15,410 times
not true dont listen to that. they might ask how many lanes the road ur on is but thats it. and the vehicle operation demenstration. so just dont worry. i take mine friday for the 2nd time

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times
car or semi truck or what kind of vehicle?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,813 times
Hello everyone, I have not had a valid mn drivers license in 26 years. I passed the permit a month ago or so. I am 51, female and have high anxiety. I thought I would pass today. Well, I had no idea what a 90 degree park was so I tried to parallel park within those posts!! ha ah LOL. Then I KNEW I was doing bad and then I proceeded to make a left turn and turned left into the oncoming traffic lane- not once but 2 times!!!! so, needless to say I did FAIL. i had an asian instructor and I was so flippn nervous!! Now what? It was really hard I thought. I am an ok driver but that Plymouth situation is very SCARY I thought!!! Instructor told me to come back in a week. I am so disappointed in myself. How can I get educateoturns and lane changes?? I think I need drivers ed? Next time I think I will take an anti-anxiety pill.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 24,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdriver51 View Post
Hello everyone, I have not had a valid mn drivers license in 26 years. I passed the permit a month ago or so. I am 51, female and have high anxiety. I thought I would pass today. Well, I had no idea what a 90 degree park was so I tried to parallel park within those posts!! ha ah LOL. Then I KNEW I was doing bad and then I proceeded to make a left turn and turned left into the oncoming traffic lane- not once but 2 times!!!! so, needless to say I did FAIL. i had an asian instructor and I was so flippn nervous!! Now what? It was really hard I thought. I am an ok driver but that Plymouth situation is very SCARY I thought!!! Instructor told me to come back in a week. I am so disappointed in myself. How can I get educateoturns and lane changes?? I think I need drivers ed? Next time I think I will take an anti-anxiety pill.

If you're willing to pay for instruction, I can vouch for Midway Driving School – ESL/Nervous Adult and Home School Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons Serving the Twin Cities (Saint Paul, Minneapolis), Duluth and Rochester. I used them and passed the test my first time. They teach everything that will be on the test, including the 90 degree back up park.

And be careful with the anxiety pill. If it's a benzo (Ativan, Xanax, etc.) you're talking about, make sure it's not sedating you to the point where you can't drive safely.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 24,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv_2014 View Post
I have a road test in Plymouth, MN. I will take 6 hours of training.

What can I expect?

From what I can see on Google Maps, the Plymouth location appears to be a closed course. That means you won't be on city streets. This info probably pertains to most driving tests, but my experience is only with a course (Eagan):

• Expect to know how to operate your vehicle. Seat belts, mirrors, lights, parking brake, turn signals, etc. You will be asked to demonstrate those.
  • There should be three parking tests: parallel, 90 degree backing and hill. The first two will take practice. The third is easy as long as you know which way to point the tires and you park within a foot of the curb (without hitting it).
  • The instructor won't tell you to, but he or she will be watching to see if you check your mirrors. Turn your entire head, because the instructor likely can't see it if you're just moving your eyes. Don't go overboard here, but you'll probably be checking them for often than you would in real life. You're putting on a show to demonstrate that you know how to drive safely.
  • Also expect to look both ways every time you approach an intersection. This is true even if it's a T-intersection. It may seem like common sense that no one could possibly be driving along the grass toward you, but just put up with it for the test. Again, you're demonstrating that you are paying attention at intersections.
  • You will encounter a multi-lane one-way street at some point, and you'll be asked to turn off it. Be absolutely positive that you're turning from the correct lane. If you have to change lanes three times to get there, fine. Just remember to signal and look over your should each time, instead of moving across them all at once.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdriver51 View Post
Oh good grief.....

How can you not know what a 90 degree park is?!?

Turning into oncoming traffic?!?

Why is the instructor's race worth mentioning?

I do NOT think you are an "OK driver" if you turned into oncoming traffic. That could be fatal...for you or for some other innocent person who happens to be correctly in that lane of traffic.

Plymouth is a CLOSED COURSE!! How in the WORLD is that "scary"? If a closed course is SCARY, please, please, dear God please, stay off the main roads.

Yes, you need drivers ed.

NO, you do NOT need an anti-anxiety pill that will drug you. We have enough impaired drivers out there that we do not need more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul