Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 104,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I have been living in Seattle for the past year--it was our dream to move here to experience the west and its beauty, etc.--from Chicago--where I was born and raised and lived in the city for 10 years. Love the beauty out here but SO miss the down to earth, funny, laugh-a lot, and yes, damn it, sometimes drink a lot midwestern mentality. I just find the people out here SO serious and they do not laugh or party or argue nearly as much as we did in Chicago. We are looking for a city that is smaller than Chicago but still has that super down to earth-FUN-life-loving Vibe-seattle may be just too laid-back for us! Can anyone living in Minneapolis--perhaps the Uptown area, let me know if you would recommend this area for these reasons? Are people in Minneapolis friendly and non-judgemental or are they also the passive-aggresive types that are so prevalent out here? We love seeing/hearing live music and eating great food as well. Any advice is most welcome. Is the winter THAT bad? Remember, I am used to Chicago winters which i can handle. Seattle winters are nothing compared to the midwest!

Also, I am a counselor and my husband may attend school for landscape architecture--any advice on job outlook in those fields in Minneapolis? Thanks for any/all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I won't generalize my whole city, but it has been compared often as a small Chicago. As a whole, I think we are pretty down to earth and friendly and certainly non-judgmental. There is good music and food, just less of it than Chicago. Winters are probably 10 degrees colder. The city is built for it. Damn. you asked a hard one! But if you want a midwestern, Chicago like place, it will either be us or Milwaukee.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
Melaniefl,

I was researching moving to Chicago from Seattle this winter and ran across your post. I must say it made me laugh aloud. I moved to Seattle two years ago from New Orleans and have spent every waking moment wondering why! You nailed it on the head. The people here are terrible; there is no such thing as fun or a sense of humor. I also love that you referred to how passive aggressive everyone is. My husband, who has lived here for over ten years, gets so mad when I complain about that because he's in denial. It's good to know I'm not alone. Several of my friends in New Orleans are originally from the Chicago area and have assured me the Midwestern mentality is about as close to the Southern mentality I can get. Yea! I look forward to being where people aren't so damn serious and have a clue what manners are. I'm curious, did you end up in Minneapolis? Also, any advice on preferred routes for driving from Seattle to Chicago in the dead of winter? I'm incredibly nervous about doing so, but my new job leaves me little choice.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniefl View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I have been living in Seattle for the past year--it was our dream to move here to experience the west and its beauty, etc.--from Chicago--where I was born and raised and lived in the city for 10 years. Love the beauty out here but SO miss the down to earth, funny, laugh-a lot, and yes, damn it, sometimes drink a lot midwestern mentality. I just find the people out here SO serious and they do not laugh or party or argue nearly as much as we did in Chicago. We are looking for a city that is smaller than Chicago but still has that super down to earth-FUN-life-loving Vibe-seattle may be just too laid-back for us! Can anyone living in Minneapolis--perhaps the Uptown area, let me know if you would recommend this area for these reasons? Are people in Minneapolis friendly and non-judgemental or are they also the passive-aggresive types that are so prevalent out here? We love seeing/hearing live music and eating great food as well. Any advice is most welcome. Is the winter THAT bad? Remember, I am used to Chicago winters which i can handle. Seattle winters are nothing compared to the midwest!

Also, I am a counselor and my husband may attend school for landscape architecture--any advice on job outlook in those fields in Minneapolis? Thanks for any/all advice!
I live in Uptown. After reading your post, my dearest Melaniefl, I can say without any hesitancy or doubt, that Minneapolis is exactly what you're looking for. I find it to be exactly like the description of what you're looking for. If you can handle a Chicago winter, you will have no problems in Minneapolis and you will thoroughly enjoy the Uptown area.

It's funny because I always wanted to move to the Seattle/Bellingham area. I enjoy having fun but I'm a more serious person whose idea of having fun isn't going out and drinking or being loud. I like getting together with others and going out to eat or at each other's homes. I love that the area is so near Canada and in a very beautiful coastal area. But, I won't ever move there because of the types of natural disasters and other scenarios that area is in danger of.

Anyway. Move to Minneapolis. You'll love it. Your, and your husband's, careers are well-suited to the area, too. Of all the posts I've read here about people wondering if they should move to Minneapolis, you're is the one I'm absolutely the most confident in saying, "By all means. Minneapolis was made for you."

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
I'm sure the OP has decided by now...this post is from 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul