Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times

Advertisements

Many of the private schools have programs for "non-traditional" students, they also have a lot of money to give to those students. I agree with checking out St. Cate's, St. Thomas, even St. Olaf depending on where you live. Get an idea of what kind of aid package they have to offer. Also keep in mind that a lot of those schools offer on-line classes to their students. I know at Dakota County Technical College you can take classes from St. Mary's in Winona, Winona State, Southwest Minnesota State and a couple others on the DCTC campus so look into those schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Also, an awesome resource here in Minnesota that more people should know about is www.iseek.org. Check it out: Dietitians

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,417 times
Well I am almost 50 and will be starting at Metro State next week. Am working towards a bachelors degree. Was on the technical college track, therefore not a genius math student or anything. I wouldn't even be able to get in the more expensive or "reputable" colleges, however a BS from Metro State will surely look better on my resume than the AAS that I presently have. Metro State has alot of online classes and is geared for the working adult.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,587 times
Thanks again for all your replies! Really appreciate all the good insight

Let me clarify--I am a female, I was just going to make an immature comment about the 'all women schools'-lol---but never mind on that.

As far as the private schools go, here is my thought & this may be just a biased opinion--but when I think of private colleges, I think--snobby, hard to get in to, extremely overpriced, leading up to 'I'll be in debt for the rest of my life if I didn't get aid for nearly all of it.'

Thoughts? For starters & for admission purposes, what would they look at for an older student? Would they look at the grades I received in the classes at the community college? I think I barely made it to a 2.8 GPA if I remember correctly. Or do they look at my income? It's been awhile since I filled out the FAFSA, so bare with me if these seem like dumb questions. I don't think I could get into a private school---I barely received any aid besides loans just going to a community college--and I have a low income--so it's a little frustrating to think about trying again only to get turned down--but I don't know that yet.

So you guys would recommend contacting the Office of Admissions at some colleges first to see what is all required to be accepted? The thing that is a little disappointing to find out is that from what I've read, most schools look at classes individually, not the fact that I already have a AA degree with all my 'general' classes out of the way (or so I hoped).

I don't think St. Kate's dietetics programs is offered in the evening/weekend program they have--and I've looked at the U of M--they have a evening/weekend program under the College of Continuing Education---a major called "multi-disciplinary studies"--anyone know what that really is? I thought the College of Continuing Education was for older workers just trying to get a certificate or learn a new skill in a specific job function.

lalife---wow! I have definitely looked into Metro State as well, except they don't have a health program, but like some of the others they offer an 'individualized' degree---and they are much more affordable & geared toward the working adult, you are right about that!

Does anyone know what those kinds of degrees do for you? Do employers look down upon them?

Oh & I live in Bloomington so yeah, any of the schools would be a little bit of a hike for me, but I guess that is to be expected.

Sorry, lots of questions...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,417 times
Yeah, the "individualized studies" degree was discussed with my advisor and I think I will pass. I don't want to go thru all of the pain of going to school and then have to sit in an interview and defend what my degree actually is. Meaning, telling them what classes I took. Since I am on the Business track, my goal is for the Business Administration BS which is only about 4 more classes than an individualized study program. At this stage in life, I would rather be on the side of conservative and easily understood by the majority.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I think your thinking about private schools is based on stereotypes, not the reality; definitely take a tour and check out the literature before making up your mind on that. Some are easier to get into than, say, the U of MN (although the U's acceptance rate varies by specific college; some are more competitive than others.). St. Kate's initially offered me a better financial aid package than did the U; that's not uncommon with the private schools. They have more private funding, and fewer students to share it with. There are some highly competitive private schools in the Twin Cities (well, Macalester), but most of them aren't in that category.

I'd start by contacting the admissions offices. I'm sure they will look at your GPA, but you have time on your side. You'll have a chance to make a case for yourself in the application process.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
The all woman model at St. Cate's is actually very nice-you will have men in your classes though. I went to St. Ben's-an all woman's college but paired with St. John's and most of my classes were on the St. John's campus.

I would say that for the most part your assumptions are wrong. Yes, there are snobby people there but there are plenty of snobby people at the U of M too. Yes, they are more expensive but they also have larger endowments and give out more money. It was significantly less expensive for me to got to St. Ben's then it was to go to a state school. Yes I had some loans but nothing major and I paid for 100% of my own schooling, zero help from my parents. Yes, getting in is a little more difficult but the admission standard for non-traditional students isn't the same as it is for a traditional student. They do give you credit for being more mature.

It is also often misunderstood about transferring classes from one school to another-chances is are very few of your classes will transfer no matter where you go. My sister transferred from St. Ben's to St. Thomas (basically the same school) and most of her credits didn't transfer.

Understand about financial aid, if the FAFSA determines you can contribute $4000/year for your schooling and community college costs $4000, you won't get any aid. If, with that same determination you go to a 4 year school that costs $40,000, you will get $36,000 in aid. This is pretty simplified but you get the point.

Another option you may have is to apply to be a staff resident at a college. You get free room and board and a stipend and get a discount or free tuition. That would free you up to take classes any time. If you aren't already working for a company that will employ you when you graduate, it will be something to look into.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM

355 posts, read 2,402,587 times
Good stuff!

I figured most of my assumptions were based on stereotypes, but I had to put it out there haha..though I didn't think it'd be as hard to get into the U of M? But then again, I have no idea how hard or easy it'd be to get into any 4-year college since I never tried.

uptown_urbanist,
You've mentioned that you went to the U instead of St. Kate's even though you said they offered you a better aid package--can I ask why?

My GPA, if they would look at that hard, is definitely not going to be in my favor! LOL..

golfgal--
That is good to know about the financial aid comparison--I never thought about it that way, but you may be right. I can't contribute anything to college myself & I find it funny that the government would think I could on my low income. My biggest concern about this whole thing is being in massive debt--and have it all be for nothing.

Also disappointing to hear about the class transfer thing---it would be frustrating to think I spent all that time getting 60 credits for all the 'general' classes only to have not all of them transfer or only some & having to take any of them over again---I barely made it thru the first time in some of them! LOL..

How is the admission process different for older students? They really do look at you differently?? Interesting..tell me more...hehe....

When it all comes down to it, the big question is--is college really worth the $? Like I've said before, never been a big fan---especially when I work with people who have 4-year degrees & make $30K a year--how can you justify being $80K in debt from a private school & make only $30K a year (referring to co-workers)???? That is just crazy to me!

I know the whole thing about it being worth it is a big controversy & probably for another post or message board--but that's another thing I'm concerned about--wasting time & $ only to get out of school, have the economy still suck & still be at the same low-paying dead end job.

For those that have 4 year degrees--do you think it was worth it? Has it paid off for you? Do you think you're better off that you have one than if you hadn't gotten a degree??

Thanks again, keep the ideas rolling....

Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,026 times
I can tell you my husband has been looking for a job and he doesn't have a degree. We wish he had and is going to work on it because it's becoming expected to have a degree to even get the chance to make 30k a year. Plus it's so much easier to be promoted with the degree.

I was researching colleges for myself and I came across one where an associates degree lets you transfer in as a junior. It's an online program through the University of Illinois. I think all colleges are different when it comes to transfer credits, some will be generous some won't. You can't asssume that an associates will cover all of your generals but you can't assume it won't either, it all depends on the individual colleges policies.

If you want to manage debt consider part time and work full time. You'll get through it slower but will accumulate less debt. There's plenty of schools that offer at least some of its courses online.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Don't discount the possibility of your classes transferring; many of them often do, especially since yours are at the community college level. You'd have a tougher time with upper-level course in your major. It's not an automatic that all will transfer, and there may well be some that don't; that's something to ask the admissions people about before you panic.

I don't think you can justify being $80k in debt, but I also don't think you're going to be in a position where you'll need to spend anywhere near that much money. I don't think it would be worth it to have that much debt hanging over your head.

I chose the U instead of St. Kate's because it was the better school for me. It had more course offerings, the financial difference wasn't that big (I got both need and merit-based aid to help offset costs, and while I have some loans, they're not too bad). It also has a national and international reputation and name-recognition that St. Kate's lacks. I had the chance to work with some of the big names in my field, as well as take graduate-level courses. For me a college degree was completely worth it. Then again, my career has been more academic in nature (I also have a master's degree and am hoping to go back for a PhD in the next couple of years), and in my field it's tough to get a job without an MA, let alone without a BA. Still, there are many jobs out there that won't take a look at your resume unless you have a degree. Not everyone needs one, especially those who have more vocational or technical-oriented careers (which often have their own training requirements), but these days it's tough to get many kinds of job without that degree in hand. It doesn't need to be fanciest, most expensive degree around, though. And I definitely wouldn't go tens of thousands of dollars in debt just to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul