Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,985 times

Advertisements

I just turned 30 & have been considering going back to college to complete my bachelor's degree in health/wellness & nutrition--hopefully to become a registered dietician in the future. I currently have an Associate of Arts--general degree, no major, so I have the 'general' classes & 2 year degree out of the way.

The question is, where do I start? I'm lost, I graduated with that degree almost 6 years ago & haven't been to school since. Since I work full-time, of course, I'd have to find a school & a program that would work or cater to working adults & that I could complete in the evening & weekends.

I know this isn't uncommon now days, but it seems from what I've found online, with this particular interest, you have to go to a certain school in order to one day take the state exam/licensure to become a registered dietician. None of the online schools pan out & the school I seem to get pointed to is the University of Minnesota--almost $11K a year & probably doesn't offer any programs for working adults. To me, when I think of U of M, I think of a ton of young 20-somethings that just came out of high school--I can't imagine being surrounded by that!

Help! This is my passion & I would love to pursue it, but do no want to come out with loads of debt & no chance for a career. I've had others tell me that by the time I'd graduate, the economy could/should be better by then anyhow.

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by this whole thing & would just like anyone out there who has any advice--on schools, programs, financial aid, grants---or to share their own stories of success of going back to school later in life--thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
The U has a lot of older people, too, as well as a lot of evening classes. I attended as a traditional 18-22 year old, but many, many people in my classes were older than me -- some of them much older. I don't know about your field specifically (although I did take a class in nutrition; just can't remember the demographics of the class), but don't worry about the age thing. In any case, the U is such a huge school and gets a lot of people at all points in life as well as is working-adult friendly (although perhaps not as much as some of the other schools), so don't discount it just yet.

I can certainly understand the debt concern, though. Have you checked out all the local private schools? It could be that with financial aid they end up being a better deal; I know that St. Kate's gave me a better aid package than did the U. I think many of the private colleges also have weekend classes and evening classes. If the official "sticker price" is high don't give up until you talk to a financial aid officer and figure out what your actual cost will be. It could be much, much lower.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,891,998 times
Good for you, congratulations! Like Uptown said, there were many people that were older in my classes, often even had gray hair. Hell, my mother went back to college when she was 53 so if she can do it I'm sure you can too. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:43 PM

166 posts, read 391,828 times
There's no such a thing as "old for college" ... while I was in college, in one of my class, there was a man probably in his late 60s and there were some who probably were in their 30s. My suggestion would be to avoid small schools and go to school with large number of student population (not to stand out like a sore thumb). If your employer has tuition reimbursement take advantage of it but there's a catch/limitation/commitment requirement from employer as far as how much money you can get, what kind of program you can enrolled in, and how long you must stay with the company after your completion of the program etc. I am thinking about getting my second degree as well so we're in the same situation.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Not Twin Cities-specific, but if you want a little extra reassurance that you won't be alone out there as an "older" (although I hate to think of 30 as "old"!) student, there's this thread on the Education forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...lege-24-a.html

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times
Nowadays I think there are probably quite a few more nontraditional students at most colleges/universities than in more recent years- although when I was at the U of M, Morris- I remember having a number of classmates that were in their 30s to 40s (and some 50s). I wouldn't say they stood out because of their age, but moreso because they tended to be some of the best students in class- likely had to do with having a lot more riding on it/more life experience and understanding of the importance of their education, etc.

At 30 most people will likely assume you're a 20-something and it won't be a big deal. I would say just keep an open mind- although being surrounded by 18-22 year olds can get a little annoying, there still might be some things you can learn from them as well.

I would also echo Uptown- have you checked out St. Kate's? I know they have a Dietetics program (http://www.stkate.edu/academic/dietetics/index.php), and the college also tends to have a lot of offerings for weekend/evening coursework (I know this to be the case for their master's programs and assume it would be the same for undergrad as well)- I imagine there would be a fairly decent-sized nontrad population that is working simultaneously in a lot of their programs there.

Even if there isn't a formal weekend/evenings *program* in your field of study at local colleges, don't let that deter you from further inquiry- many colleges (and employers) are willing to work out individualized schedules with students (/employees) to fit their specific needs- I have had a number of staff where we've revised their work schedule to accomodate college/graduate coursework on certain days/times of the week as they work full-time and go back to school. So, talk to your employer to ask about any creative scheduling that could happen at your job to accomodate part of your courseload, and talk to the school about taking all of the required coursework over a longer period of time to accomodate your work- most colleges and employers are going to want to do what they can to help you succeed in your career goals. And it might be the case that you could spend a couple years taking coursework on a limited part-time basis while you work full-time, and then would have to revert to becoming a full-time student in your final year to complete all of the requirements while you live off student loans and/or part-time work. What will make the first few years tricky is the need to take a certain number of credits each semester to be eligible for federal financial aid, but a financial aid counselor could counsel you on this. Speaking of, there are (or at least were) grants in the state of MN specific to non-traditional students returning to college, so be sure to look into that.

Regarding the economy- as dieticians are needed in most hospitals/nursing homes, your career prospects, even considering that there are generally only one to a small handful of dietician positions in most small to mid-sized facilities (am kind of guessing here), are likely pretty good- esp. considering that the long-term nursing care industry is about to blow up with all of the baby boomers hitting retirement age. Good luck-

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 05-02-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,985 times
Thanks, everyone, for all the words of encouragement! It's nice to know I wouldn't be the only one out there, but then again, I kinda figured I wouldn't be nowdays. But it still is a little nerve-wracking thinking of going to school at 30 lol.

I'm not so much worried about that, however--I think I've gotten a lot of positive reinforcement there, so I'm good

The thing that concerns me is finding a program that works for me at a school that I can afford & being able to get lots of financial aid.

Our tuition reimbursment program at work ONLY covers any costs if it's specifically related to the job you already have--not even one you're working towards--it's basically a joke. I've never heard of an employer being flexible with people's schedules--unfortunately, definitely not the case where I work. You work your certain hours & that's it. I've never had a job where I can come & go as I please or any of that (exactly why I want to pursue something better for my life haha!! So I'm out there, too.

So what it comes down to is that I have to find a school & a program that works around my schedule--where I would be able to complete my degree in evenings & weekends only. If not, then I will have to pursue other avenues.

I also don't know much about the schools in MN (I just moved back last year)--isn't St. Kate's a private women's school?

Does anyone else know any other websites that I may not have tried to research schools or financial aid?

I know I have to fill out the FAFSA form to get considered for any type of aid--maybe I should just do that first & then see if that's a hopeless cause?

Wow, I didn't know there was so much to think about with all this! I guess if all else fails, I can get in somewhere, take a few courses & see if it's the right thing for me--you never know, it may not be. I've honestly never been a huge college fan--mostly because I work with people who have 4 year degrees & they're making the same low income as me! I know it's not a guarantee for anything, but I never had much passion for anything either so didn't know what I wanted to go for. Now that I have some kind of idea, maybe it'll motivate me more to stay--who knows?

Anyone out there in this field by any chance? Anyone else know of any ideas I haven't thought about?

Thanks for all your help!---keep the ideas rolling! This is very helpful.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM

336 posts, read 928,555 times
St. Kates has a great adult weekend program but I think it's only for 2nd or advanced degrees if you are a man. Only women can get their undergraduate degree I believe.

Try Augsburg or St. Thomas maybe. Cost is a big issue though, I know, I almost went back a couple years ago for a second degree. We could get loans but just didn't want to take on the debt at the time.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM

St. Kate's (St. Catherine University) is a private women's university, although some of the programs are open to both men and women. I know they have weekend programs. I know Augsburg College has a lot of evening and weekend options and seems to really target the working/returning student audience; I don't know what they offer in your particular field, but it's worth investigating.

I'd concentrate on finding schools before worrying about filling out the FAFSA. Talk to their admissions office and they'll also help you out. There's government aid, which is one part of the puzzle, but then potentially there's grants from the school itself, and you won't know the full cost until you apply. You'll also want to confirm which classes transfer and which ones don't; the specifics may vary by individual school.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,950 times
You can search state colleges here
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities

and private colleges here
Minnesota's Private Colleges - Majors & degrees

I would call the admissions office. You want to learn the transfer policy for your credits and get a sense of what will and won't be accepted by each school. Hopefully meeting with a few admissions people will help you out. Go ahead and fill out the FAFSA once you find some schools that meet your needs. There's no charge and it will help you know where you stand. You can have the info sent to more than one school. You may need to apply to more than one program, I think that's the only way they'll rate your transfer.

Also, look at the math/english requirements. You may have to take an assessment when you enroll and this is a good time to brush up on those skills so you do better on the assessment.

My husband is looking at going back too, he's over 40. I went back ten years ago. You won't be alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul