Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Sorry, Golfgal, but I am a bit confused: what do you mean the anti-lock brakes "don't work"? Do you mean that you'll lock up if you tap your brakes? Because that has never happened to me...

The reason you want to tap instead of apply pressure or-- worse-- slam your brakes is because if you catch on ice, you need traction. The physics of braking (essentially) is to decrease traction until your car can't move forward anymore. It is fine to decrease your traction and roll to your stop on asphalt. On ice, though, you're at the mercy of the ice: you'll glide and spin. So, the reason to tap your brakes is to control as best you can the amount of traction your tires have on the ice, because if you lose that traction too quickly, you'll spin.

Again, this is just how I have learned it. And I do find that cars are much easier to stop on ice when you tap instead of brake regularly. So, the OP has both of our advice...he or she can take it or leave it
Anti-lock brakes do the pumping for you. It is all computerized so if you tap your brakes you don't engage the computer-which will pump your brakes faster and more evenly then you can. Do NOT tap your brakes if you have anti-lock brakes, I don't know how to make it more simple for you I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Screw technique and buy some tire chains and good snow tires. Put them on your tires if it's icy outside.
Tire chains are not legal on MN highways. Maybe not legal on any MN roads.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 AM

383 posts, read 901,004 times
Actually, according to MNDoT, they are allowed when the roads are extremely slick.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...rd=tire+chains.

Studded tires are another story altogether.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Anti-lock brakes do the pumping for you. It is all computerized so if you tap your brakes you don't engage the computer-which will pump your brakes faster and more evenly then you can. Do NOT tap your brakes if you have anti-lock brakes, I don't know how to make it more simple for you I guess.
Well, I'll have to check my car manual to see if I have ABS-- I assumed as much, since the car is all of 6 years old.

I am going to keep tapping the brakes, though, because it WORKS and makes it easier to stop on ice. You can drive your car however the heck you want, though....

Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I've tried it both ways, and even with anti-lock brakes, tapping is more effective, at least for me.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Well, I'll have to check my car manual to see if I have ABS-- I assumed as much, since the car is all of 6 years old.

I am going to keep tapping the brakes, though, because it WORKS and makes it easier to stop on ice. You can drive your car however the heck you want, though....
ABS Frequently Asked Questions

"Does ABS work on ice? Yes. The system's computer monitors the speed of each of the vehicle's wheels, compares them and adjusts brake pressure to each wheel to ensure the car stops in the shortest distance possible for most road surfaces.

Will pumping the brakes on ABS-equipped vehicles improve braking performance? NO! When in use, the ABS automatically varies the brake pressure much better than pumping can. Do not pump the brakes; apply force firmly. "

Anti-Lock Brakes?

"In an emergency situation, apply your brakes hard and stay on them. The more pedal chatter the better.
Don't pump your brakes. Pumping is for standard brakes. It completely robs ABS brakes of their effectiveness.
bullet Remember that ABS brakes do not help you stop quicker under most conditions. They do help you maintain steering control during braking so you can veer around obstacles.
The general rule of thumb is that if you have to avoid an obstacle, veer to the right. This way, you avoid oncoming traffic.
Don't become an over-confident driver because you have ABS. Drive prudently as you always should."

Tips for Driving with ABS (Anti-Lock Brake Systems) - NSC (http://www2.nsc.org/library/facts/abs.htm - broken link)

.. don't pump the brakes. In four-wheel ABS-equipped vehicles, pumping the brake turns the system on and off. ABS pumps the brakes for you automatically, at a much faster rate, and allows better steering control.

weather.com - Driving Safety Tips - Driving in Snow and Ice

"If you have anti-lock brakes (ABS), do not pump the brakes. Apply steady pressure to the brakes. You will feel the brakes pulse — this is normal."

Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 40,792 times
Well, I did ask for a defensive driving school, and just got one!!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Golfgal, why is it honestly so important to you that I drive YOUR WAY?

I've been tapping my brakes for years....used to slide all the time before I started doing it-- have literally never had a problem on ice since I started using that technique. You drive your way, I'll drive mine. For every one of your 'sources', I could probably find ten that recommend the tapping technique. So you're better off to just drop it. Traction ALWAYS= good on ice; lack of traction= bad. I don't care how you create the traction, but traction is your best friend on ice, and tapping your brakes (in my experience), will do it better than braking normally. Geez.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM

136 posts, read 384,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger46 View Post
Well, I did ask for a defensive driving school, and just got one!!
If you're referring to my post, I'm glad I gave you an on-topic answer!!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Actually, according to MNDoT, they are allowed when the roads are extremely slick.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...rd=tire+chains.

Studded tires are another story altogether.
Huh. I was wrong. That's nice to know, actually. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul