Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is land of college degrees | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/99400174.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4OW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsT - broken link)

The state ranks fourth in the country in the percentage of 25- to 34-year-olds with at least a two-year degree, according to the report released this week by the nonprofit College Board. Neighbor North Dakota ranked higher, while Louisiana and Arkansas were at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
How many have a job? All my degree is doing is keeping me broke and looking nice on my wall.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Louisiana and Arkansas are also two of the poorest states in the country. What do you bet there is a strong correlation between wealth and the number of people gong out and getting college degrees?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
The link also said the USA is #11. That's not good. Who beat us??

Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The article did not include a link to the actual report but I'd guess Japan and a decent chunk of European countries rounded up the top 10.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

All I know is,fact certain, many people with degrees here are not educated to
secondary school levels in Germany.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
All I know is,fact certain, many people with degrees here are not educated to
secondary school levels in Germany.
That's the truth with many Asian countries as well. Our country just doesn't value a true education. Much of our education is lacking in the Mathematics and Sciences department. This is where we are very behind. And I dont think that we should be hold just teachers accountable. I think parents need to be just as much as the teachers and the students.

--Parents should read to their children early and often in life.

--Teachers need to treat students with more respect, and not focus so much on 'Teaching' but focus on 'educating'.

--Parents need to hold their children accountable. ie-'Straight A's and you can get a new iPod, or if you do all your homework you can go to a movie Friday. Throw in incentives, but also make sure they understand why they are doing homework or studying. Not just to make mom and dad and the teacher happy, they are studying to become a smarter, more intelligent, educated person that leads to a better life.

--Students need to understand that schools aren't the bully. They aren't the competition. They are there to help you learn and to be a better person. Many studens have a hard time realizing this, as many schools are more like Juvenile Lock Up Centers, treating 17 and 18 yr old kids like babies, it's sad.

Students now-a-days seem to hate 'school' more than ever. Yeah, I graduated 7 years ago, and even then it didn't seem like we hated it that much. I have young cousins and siblings that talk about school now and wow, I would hate to go during this time (So much diversity BS, political correctness, rules, punishments)

Many students that give up on 'school' do so around 7th grade. You know darn well around age 13 if you are going to be a ditch digger, army man, firefighter, accountant or doctor. I remember 2 kids from a 8th grade career class. Both them said they wanted to be Doctors, and ironically both just entered Medical school (thanks facebook, lol).

I also think that it's such a tough time in a person's life from age 14-18. You change SO much, SO dramitcally as a person with your idealologies, views, etc. That it's so hard to be treated like a little baby. You're told 'this is the time to mature, become independent' but you get scolded at for chewing gum or scurrying to get lunch?

I remember when I was a senior in HS. I was walking into school with my buddy and we were chatting about a Twins game. I can't even remember, but in the loud hallway either myself or my friend dropped the F-bomb about a lame Twins play the night before. A teacher suddenly whipped around, pointed fingers at us and cornered us and made us feel like we were 10 yr old kids that just got in trouble from our daddy. Get over yourself, teach. We're two 18 yr old kids, who will be taking bong hits in a dorm room in about 4 months, and you're yelling at me for saying the F word in a loud, busy hallway around HS kids?!

I think we need to start school earlier- and year round. There is no reason a 4 yr old should not be in a pre-school setting, all day (plus it would cut down on parent's day care costs). Let 4 yr olds learn the basic basics-Sharing, getting along with groups and peers, organization, following rules. Then in Kindergarten, a child should be going full time. Math should be taught earlier and more. We need better teachers. Hold teachers accountable by having them take Tests on a bi-yearly basis. Require every teacher 5-12th grade to have a Master's Degree. Once a teacher becomes tenre they tend to hit cruise control.

Start school on August 20th and go until June 10th. One week off for Winter break, Friday and Monday off for Spring break.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
How many have a job? All my degree is doing is keeping me broke and looking nice on my wall.
All of them that I know and went to school with. Of coarse I am a little older.

I graduated in the Gulf War recession (1991) and was very pessimistic about the job market at that time too. Your time will come where you and all your classmates will be gainfully employed.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
That's the truth with many Asian countries as well. Our country just doesn't value a true education. Much of our education is lacking in the Mathematics and Sciences department. This is where we are very behind. And I dont think that we should be hold just teachers accountable. I think parents need to be just as much as the teachers and the students.

--Teachers need to treat students with more respect, and not focus so much on 'Teaching' but focus on 'educating'.

--Parents need to hold their children accountable. ie-'Straight A's and you can get a new iPod, or if you do all your homework you can go to a movie Friday. Throw in incentives, but also make sure they understand why they are doing homework or studying. Not just to make mom and dad and the teacher happy, they are studying to become a smarter, more intelligent, educated person that leads to a better life.

--Students need to understand that schools aren't the bully. They aren't the competition. They are there to help you learn and to be a better person. Many studens have a hard time realizing this, as many schools are more like Juvenile Lock Up Centers, treating 17 and 18 yr old kids like babies, it's sad.

Students now-a-days seem to hate 'school' more than ever. Yeah, I graduated 7 years ago, and even then it didn't seem like we hated it that much. I have young cousins and siblings that talk about school now and wow, I would hate to go during this time (So much diversity BS, political correctness, rules, punishments)

Many students that give up on 'school' do so around 7th grade. You know darn well around age 13 if you are going to be a ditch digger, army man, firefighter, accountant or doctor. I remember 2 kids from a 8th grade career class. Both them said they wanted to be Doctors, and ironically both just entered Medical school (thanks facebook, lol).

I also think that it's such a tough time in a person's life from age 14-18. You change SO much, SO dramitcally as a person with your idealologies, views, etc. That it's so hard to be treated like a little baby. You're told 'this is the time to mature, become independent' but you get scolded at for chewing gum or scurrying to get lunch?

I remember when I was a senior in HS. I was walking into school with my buddy and we were chatting about a Twins game. I can't even remember, but in the loud hallway either myself or my friend dropped the F-bomb about a lame Twins play the night before. A teacher suddenly whipped around, pointed fingers at us and cornered us and made us feel like we were 10 yr old kids that just got in trouble from our daddy. Get over yourself, teach. We're two 18 yr old kids, who will be taking bong hits in a dorm room in about 4 months, and you're yelling at me for saying the F word in a loud, busy hallway around HS kids?!

I think we need to start school earlier- and year round. There is no reason a 4 yr old should not be in a pre-school setting, all day (plus it would cut down on parent's day care costs). Let 4 yr olds learn the basic basics-Sharing, getting along with groups and peers, organization, following rules. Then in Kindergarten, a child should be going full time. Math should be taught earlier and more. We need better teachers. Hold teachers accountable by having them take Tests on a bi-yearly basis. Require every teacher 5-12th grade to have a Master's Degree. Once a teacher becomes tenre they tend to hit cruise control.

Start school on August 20th and go until June 10th. One week off for Winter break, Friday and Monday off for Spring break.
Maybe you should listen to your own advice as these are totally contradicting .

Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:

There's some points I agree with, some I don't. Kids actually can learn quite a bit without being in a formal educational environment, I would like to see formal education start later. If the brain isn't ready to learn the subject it doesn't matter how early it starts. Sometimes more is not better. My son did all day kindergarten, big mistake, he learned plenty at home. Of course I am a hands on parent who makes sure he has what he needs to learn and that does make a difference. Kids who have parents who don't care would probably do better with more, but kids who are in a situation where they get what they need may not.

Here's an interesting study about delaying math. I'm not sure I could do it but it is intruiging.

When Less is More: The Case for Teaching Less Math in Schools | Psychology Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: