Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I can't believe the University of Minnesota baseball team is being allowed any voice whatsoever in the construction of the new Vikings stadium. That is really one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Put a roof over the Gophers football stadium and let them play there. That should have been the plan to begin with. Did Minnesota really think a state of the art stadium was going to launch the FB team into the stratosphere alongside the likes of Alabama and Oregon? They can't even compete in the Big 10, and were once again responsible for the WORST recruiting class in the conference this year. Throw the baseball squad in there with them and leave the NFL stadium be.

I'll give the U of Minn. this much.....they have balls. HUGE ones. If I were the Vikings I'd tell them to get bent.
it isn't just the U with their 20 or more games but there are 80 to 90 MIAC games scheduled and up to 100 total college, high-school and amatuer teams that play there, some from as far away as Kansas and Illinois. In 2010, 240 college games were scheduled and 420 games total were played there. While likely not a huge revenue producer the rent from those games would likely not be completely replaced without those games being scheduled.

winter ball never sleeps or shivers at metrodome

that said, I hope they can squeeze every bit of home field advantage possible into the design and putting as many fans right on top of the field as possible is paramount to that. It isn't just the field level fans that would be pushed back 20 or more feet with retracting stands, but also any subsequent levels above those would be limited to start no closer than where those stands retract to, pushing the upper levels back to 100 feet or more from the field...not very desireable for the fan experience.

just compare these two set-ups to see what this means...

Metrodome looking at retracting section

Seattle Centurylink Field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM

127 posts, read 192,459 times
I will go out on the limb:

retractable roof = MLS team to Minnesota

retractable window = no MLS for YOU!

If the stadium can accommodate a true outdoor experience, I think you can make a good case for MSP becoming a poor man's Seattle. Nothing to turn your nose at if you're an MLS expansion committee.

If we're talking about merely cracking a window, there's no way the team will draw during the summer months. Especially without tailgating available to the masses. The Kicks were built on that.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post

If the stadium can accommodate a true outdoor experience, I think you can make a good case for MSP becoming a poor man's Seattle. Nothing to turn your nose at if you're an MLS expansion committee.

If we're talking about merely cracking a window, there's no way the team will draw during the summer months. Especially without tailgating available to the masses. The Kicks were built on that.
Minneapolis is a poor man's Seattle? Since when?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm referring specifically to its potential to host an MLS team. The MLS generally prefers soccer specific stadiums, but the Seattle Sounders are the top draw playing in the cavernous CenturyLink Field.

The new stadium would be our only way in imo. I just don't see any more stadium projects. We're way past the point of fatigue and I'm not sure how likely it is someone from the private side would step in and finance the whole thing.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

with the front runner for MLS expansion, NY Cosmos group still trying to put a stadium plan in place, the opportunity is there to move into the forefront of the race for the 20th MLS team. Should know what will happen regarding the roof within 30 to 90 days when the schematics are presented for the stadium. Vikings may be incentivized to make up the difference if needed for the ginormous retractable roof.

NY Cosmos submit proposal for Long Island stadium | MLSsoccer.com

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM

batter up!

MSFA and Vikings Agree on Multi-Use Field Configuration for New Minneapolis Stadium

Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM

Perhaps the Twins should move back in. Those configurations might get Mauer back up to the 20 HR mark.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Minneapolis is a poor man's Seattle? Since when?
I know, right. At least in the pro sports world

MSP: NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA
Seattle: MLB, NFL, MLS

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the Twins should move back in. Those configurations might get Mauer back up to the 20 HR mark.
maybe if a future World Series games need to be moved because of a Halloweenesque type blizzard....ha ha ha, I crack even me up sometimes

Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
It looks like MN officials are pretty bad negotiators:

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The Vikings stadium deal that Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton signed into law Monday involves plenty of public participation, but it also prevents the public from getting a look at the team's finances during their partnership to build the $975 million stadium.
The law commits the state and city of Minneapolis to pay a combined $498 million, while the team will bring in $477 million from private sources.

Compare that to:

NFL’s Falcons Reach Stadium Finance Plan With Atlanta
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and the National Football League’s Falcons agreed on terms for financing a $1 billion, retractable-roof stadium downtown with a public contribution capped at $200 million.

Invest Atlanta, the city’s economic development agency, will sell bonds for the public’s share backed by a hotel tax that currently supports the Georgia Dome, according to a news release sent by the city. The Falcons will pay about $800 million, including $50 million for infrastructure improvements.
“I am pleased that we reached an agreement that will ensure the Atlanta Falcons remain in the heart of our city for many years to come and will lead to revitalization
of some of the city’s most historic neighborhoods,’’ Reed said in the release. “Equally important, a new stadium will lead to the creation of well-paying jobs during construction at a time when many of our friends and neighbors are seeking employment.’’

The proposal requires approval by the Atlanta City Council. Team owner Arthur Blank, co-founder of Home Depot Inc., has said the team will
sell personal-seat licenses to help pay its share of the cost. Blank bought the Falcons for $545 million in February 2002 and has said the team needs a new stadium to attract big events such as the NFL’s Super Bowl.

The 20-year-old Georgia Dome, the Falcons’ current home field, hosts the Southeastern Conference college football championship game each year and will be the
site of the 2013 college basketball Final Four tournament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota