Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Electronic voter registration and electronic sign-ins, AKA "electronic poll books." They already have a pretty good idea of how to implement it, they just need the legislature to say "do it."

This was presented as a reasonable alternative to "photo ID required to vote" that wouldn't disenfranchise voters who faced challenges getting a state ID. By implementing electronic poll books, they could build photo ID into the registration database.

Photo ID built in or not, electronic poll books would make voting more secure and prevent the above "fraud" without giving everybody else extra hoops to jump though.
This is what I think should have been done. It doesn't have the same issue of disenfranchising voters and it would have been much cheaper than the expected costs of implementing photo ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So you would have a photo of each voter in the database at the polling place, and a record of whether they've requested an absentee ballot? I think that's a good idea. I followed the voter ID amendment here pretty closely and hadn't heard that one.

Now that the voter ID amendment has been defeated, why do you think it is that its opponents haven't brought this idea back up?
This is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex
This is what I think should have been done. It doesn't have the same issue of disenfranchising voters and it would have been much cheaper than the expected costs of implementing photo ID.
Electronic poll books do not sufficiently disenfranchise minority and/or Democratic voters.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
So you would have a photo of each voter in the database at the polling place, and a record of whether they've requested an absentee ballot? I think that's a good idea. I followed the voter ID amendment here pretty closely and hadn't heard that one.

Now that the voter ID amendment has been defeated, why do you think it is that its opponents haven't brought this idea back up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
This is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199
Electronic poll books do not sufficiently disenfranchise minority and/or Democratic voters.
I believe you are confused on this issue.

My question was why haven't the opponents to the Voter ID amendment, who were largely the Democrats who are now in control of the state legislature and the governor's office, brought up the idea of implementing electronic poll books.

Are you suggesting it's because they want to "disenfranchise minority and/or Democratic voters"?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM

I misread your original message.

We have a pretty good election system in Minnesota. We have the highest turnout in the country. I don't think it needs a lot of messing with, except to expand early voting. Unfortunately, Mark Dayton doesn't want to make many changes to election laws without "bipartisan support" which isn't happening.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I misread your original message.

We have a pretty good election system in Minnesota. We have the highest turnout in the country. I don't think it needs a lot of messing with, except to expand early voting. Unfortunately, Mark Dayton doesn't want to make many changes to election laws without "bipartisan support" which isn't happening.
Can you please cite a source for the last statement about the governor's intents? Since the governor and I both seem to disagree with you and feel that some changes to the system are necessary, I'd be interested in reading what sorts of changes he has in mind. Perhaps I can help lend some of that "bipartisan support" he's looking for. Please post a link. Thanks..

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-04-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Can you please cite a source for the last statement about the governor's intents? Since the governor and I both seem to disagree with you and feel that some changes to the system are necessary, I'd be interested in reading what sorts of changes he has in mind. Perhaps I can help lend some of that "bipartisan support" he's looking for. Please post a link. Thanks..
Found this on google in 1.6 seconds:

Early voting? Dayton says it needs 'broad bipartisan support' | Hot Dish Politics | StarTribune.com

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Standard internet protocol is for you to back up your statements and llink to your source in the first place, so drop the snotty tone. It's not my job to back up your claims. That's your job, and I thank you, even if it took a day and some prompting on my part to get you to do it.

I note that the article says nothing about the electronic poll books that were being discussed before this diversion.

I had asked why it might be that this alternative to Voter ID hasn't been mentioned by the opponents to the Voter ID amendment if they really believed that it was good alternative. I'd hate to think that they were really just using that as a distraction to get people to vote no on the amendment.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
so drop the snotty tone.
Then:

Quote:
It's not my job to back up your claims. That's your job, and I thank you, even if it took a day and some prompting on my part to get you to do it.

I have no idea why Mark Dayton wants to be all bipartisan about election laws. He took advantage of the GOP's anti-marriage amendment disaster last fall, and signed the bill allowing marriage equality. Turned it right around on them. But for some reason he isn't willing to do the same thing with elections after the ID amendment bombed. After the shutdown in 2011, the state GOP doesn't deserve an olive branch from him. Certainly a GOP governor would not extend such a gesture to a minority DFL legislature.

I can only speculate, but it could be that he too sees our elections as already being run pretty well.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Then:

I have no idea why Mark Dayton wants to be all bipartisan about election laws. He took advantage of the GOP's anti-marriage amendment disaster last fall, and signed the bill allowing marriage equality. Turned it right around on them. But for some reason he isn't willing to do the same thing with elections after the ID amendment bombed. After the shutdown in 2011, the state GOP doesn't deserve an olive branch from him. Certainly a GOP governor would not extend such a gesture to a minority DFL legislature.

I can only speculate, but it could be that he too sees our elections as already being run pretty well.
I'm not talking about the governor. What about others who are saying they supported electronic poll books? Where are they now?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
It's probably best that Dayton is doing this in a bipartisan manner. Voting law shouldn't be done on a partisan basis or with the hint of partisanship. I would expect the same bipartisanship if the GOP were in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota