Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 8,252 times

Advertisements

Hi there, just a quick question - is it safe to drink directly from the tap in St. Cloud or Minnesota in general? (Or even the US in general?) I've been drinking tap water in my college dorm in St. Cloud and every time I mention this to the other international students, they kind of freak out. Or is there something about college tap water specifically that I don't know about?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamil View Post
Hi there, just a quick question - is it safe to drink directly from the tap in St. Cloud or Minnesota in general? (Or even the US in general?) I've been drinking tap water in my college dorm in St. Cloud and every time I mention this to the other international students, they kind of freak out. Or is there something about college tap water specifically that I don't know about?

Thanks!
Ivvv'e BeAnnnn DDDDDDrkrinkengngng patap watuR 4 yearshhh endd kNOw pRoBlUmZ foreE mEEEEEEE1

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Yes, the tap water is safe to drink.
Just don't mix your meds or take a hand full them consume the tap water

The St. Cloud Water Treatment Facility Staff takes pride in the quality and aesthetics of the drinking water. St. Cloud strives to produce the highest quality, safest and best tasting water possible.

Many residents question if they need a water softener. The City of St. Cloud already softens the water to a range of 120 to 150 milligrams per liter or 7 to 9 grains per gallon. Water softeners are not needed by St. Cloud residents, but residents may chose to install one based on personal preference. St. Cloud, MN - Official Website - Water Quality

Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM

145 posts, read 324,655 times
There'a a lot of paranoia out there encouraged by the bottled water and water filter companies.

I'd drink tap water anywhere in the US if it came from a water treatment plant. I've gotten mildy sick several times from drinking water from private wells, but it could have just been getting used to new bacteria rather than any real contamination.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Yeah, totally safe. A lot of bottled water comes directly from a municiple water source, with maybe an extra step to change the taste, but sometimes nothing at all.

Come to think of it, the water might be the least contaminated thing in the dorm, unless they've changed since my days.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
I live in St. Cloud and drink the tap water every day, and have been the 4 years that I have lived here excluding the short period (less than a Month) I moved to Richfield, MN.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamil View Post

Thanks!
The water in St Cloud is safe to drink.

I might be a little sketchy of drinking it from sinks in dorms, though. I'm a SCSU grad and lived in the dorms for a while. I don't know if things have changed, but the cleanliness in some common areas was disgusting. I saw people washing their feet, dumping old food/garbage, relieving themselves, etc into sinks. Plus they might not get washed for several days if there's a long weekend/break.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get something like a Brita pitcher.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM

434 posts, read 552,468 times
There is plenty of beer and booze to drink in St. Cloud if you're afraid of the tap water.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM

434 posts, read 552,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
There is plenty of beer and booze to drink in St. Cloud if you're afraid of the tap water.

I think everyone in St. Cloud took my advice.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,881 times
no. actually the water is not safe to drink. unless you think that arsenic, fluoride,barium, chlorine and lead are 'safe to consume'. take a look at your water report for your area... i live in Sauk rapids,i just looked up my water report and let me tell you.... its not pretty!! now take a look at what the chemicals they put into our water do and what they are used for... and also,WHERE THEY COME FROM. the majority(mostly fluoride) come from run offs of chemical,aluminum and drilling waste. THE FLUORIDE IN YOUR WATER IS NOT THE NATURAL KIND. in other words its a man made chemical that kills you slowly..... it doesn't have anything to do with your teeth and the health of your teeth.... i have so much more to say on this topic buttt to simply answer your question no. i HIGHLY recommend drinking REVERSE OSMOSIS filtered water, cause thats acutal water. not water laced with iq dropping chemicals (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota